Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Julia's Thoughts on Paige and Mark

Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas were the Season 22 runners-up of Dancing With the Stars!



I hadn't heard of Paige at all before speculation that she would be a DWTS contestant began, but I immediately loved the idea of her on the show because we hadn't had a female fighter on the show for quite some time and I thought she'd be the perfect partner for Mark, who is an avid UFC and MMA fan. It turned out Mark was the one who suggested her for the show in the first place and she'd requested him as a partner, which didn't surprise me in the slightest. I knew they'd get along great and would give stellar performances-given that Paige was young, fit, and had previous dance experience when she was a child I was pretty sure she would be the most skilled of all the women and probably the men too-but I had a bad feeling that they would be the "shock" elimination of the season given who else was in the cast. So despite how much I liked both Paige and Mark form the get-go (well I already liked Mark but you know what I mean) I tried not to get too attached to them because I didn't want to be too disappointed when they were eliminated.

I think Paige was the only contestant to truly be consistently strong throughout the entire season. I can't think of a single time when she messed up a dance, and that can't be said for anyone else in the Season 22 cast. I know she had the most dance experience of any of this season's celebrities, but seeing as it wasn't in ballroom she still had a lot to learn so I didn't have a problem with it. In addition to this, she was very good at "acting" her dances and always conveyed the appropriate emotions in her performances. I also liked that she was open to pretty much anything; even when she was afraid of being lifted by her partner, she was willing to try it and actually managed to trust her last-minute substitute partner to pick her up during a dance.

Paige brought a lot to Season 22 of DWTS and I was disappointed she lost in the end. I was very happy that she managed to gain enough support to make the finale, but it was still disappointing that she had to lose to someone who wasn't as consistent or as strong a dancer in general. I think the only person who I would have been just as happy to see win as I would have been with Paige was WanyĆ”, but I digress. I loved how she and Mark brought something new to the table every week and brought back my enthusiasm for certain styles of dance. For example, I had been getting kind of bored of Argentine Tangos because there seemed to be a very limited number of ways they were being presented (ie. a dark and/or "mysterious tone) but this couple actually managed to do one with a storyline and everything!


Thank you for reading this and the next post will be up soon! Also it was announced this week that Season 23 of Dancing With the Stars will premiere on September 12th! I'm going to be out of town then so not sure whether I'll be watching live or not but I'm sure I'll still be able to share my thoughts here. Any guesses as to who might be in the cast? Maybe we'll do a post about who we think the celebrities might be sometime this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment