Wednesday, May 2, 2018

DWTS: Athletes (Season 26) - Week 1 (Premiere) Dance Overviews

Monday night was the season premiere of season 26 of Dancing With the Stars, which is the four-week event showcasing strictly athlete celebrities. In the premiere, we saw the ten new couples perform their first dances of the season. And for the first time ever, using live voting during the show to determine the results, there was a double elimination on the first episode.

Paul Bentley, Julia Delbel, and Dwtsdreams are back to blog about this microseason. Plus, for the first time on DWTS Interact, we are adding in what scores you all gave the couples. We posted a poll on the blog’s Twitter page about how you would rate each dance. We took the most popular vote from each one and determined what score you, the readers of this blog, would have given the couples. So, without further ado, here are our thoughts, along with the readers’ input, from the night of dances.




Premiere Dances

The ten new athlete contestants along with their partners danced their first performances of the season.

[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli]
[Order of the Bloggers’ Scores: Paul Bentley, Dwtsdreams, Julia Delbel]




Chris Mazdzer and Witney Carson
Salsa


Mr. Put It Down by Ricky Martin featuring Pitbull

Bentley Right off the bat, Chris seemed really personable in his pre-dance package.As for the dance, it was a bit messy, but still fun nonetheless. Although, just to be that person, I feel as though the live band’s rendition of this song, as much as I love their work, was a bit tame and could have been amped up a few notches. Witney gave Chris a challenge with the choreography, but she didn’t go overboard. Chris is more of a natural mover than I thought he was going to be, but it was still rough around the edges. And going off of what Bruno said about his free hand, I think Chris focuses so much on his moves that he forgets about the rest of his body. I think nerves might have had to do a thing with it, though. Either way, this couple was charismatic, energetic, and technical in their Salsa!

Julia Chris did better than I thought he would with this dance but it wasn’t as entertaining as I expected, and by the end of the night I had kind of forgotten about this dance. I agree with Bentley that he seemed nervous (actually, the majority of the cast did, which I’m guessing had to do with the double elimination looming over them all night). I think Chris strengths will probably lie more in the Ballroom styles than Latin, so I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do with one of those dances. If his personality shines through a bit more next week I think he has a shot at the Finals.

The Judges’ Scores

7

7

7

21/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

6

7

7

20/30

The Readers’ Score: 7

#TeamMoveItOrLugeIt 1(800)868-3403




Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Lindsay Arnold
Cha-Cha-Cha


Signed, Sealed, and Delivered by Stevie Wonder

Bentley Surprisingly enough, I felt as though Kareem was actually really nervous during this dance. I think he felt a bit out of his element and was maybe anxious about dancing as the “old guy” on the show. And if that’s the case, I hope he doesn’t feel that way next week because it looked like nerves really took over his Cha-Cha-Cha. His dance was sweet, even though it was quite stiff. I did see him get into the groove towards the end, though! Lindsay didn’t go too hard on Kareem in the choreography, but I can tell that she pushed him to do his best. Overall, despite arguably being the least natural dancer this season, he did well. And besides, what more could we ask from his couple?!

Julia While I thought Kareem was very overscored for this performance, I’m glad the comments the judges gave to him were nice ones; we all know the older contestants are unlikely to be able to dance with as much technical proficiency as those who are at their physical peak, so there’s no point in harping on about it. However, I did expect him to make a bit more of a splash than he did in terms of being fun and endearing. He was another contestant that was visibly nervous Monday night and it seemed to affect his dancing a bit, especially earlier in the number. I wasn’t too surprised he was safe since he’s arguably the biggest name of the season and his scores weren’t too far below the people that left, but I have a feeling it will be hard for him to beat out two more people above him on the leaderboard to be safe next week.

The Judges’ Scores

6

5

6

17/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

5

4

4

13/30

The Readers’ Score: 4

#TeamTallAndSmall 1(800)868-3408




Jennie Finch Daigle and Keo Motsepe
Foxtrot


All-American Girl by Carrie Underwood

Bentley Jennie, at least in my opinion, is Keo’s best partner he has ever had on the show. Their Foxtrot was pretty solid and had a nice southern feel to it. I was in love with their costumes! Jennie held herself well, but I could tell that as the dance went on, she started to rush the music more and more. Jennie also needs to work on her stability, but I think that ties in with her rushing the music. I am finding myself loving this couple more than I thought I would, although I don’t know if the general audience is going to overlook them, possibly making them the next couple to be eliminated.

Julia I’m liking Jennie a lot so far and I wish we could have had her in a regular season so she’d have more time to learn and grow as a dancer. She did rush during this dance and the fact that the song was faster than usual for a Foxtrot made it even more awkward, but she pulled through pretty well and there’s definitely some potential there. Smart idea to have her kids in the performance since it helped her stand out a bit more than some of the others. If she survives next week I think she might have a shot at making the Finals since a lot of people seem to like her and want to see Keo go far.

The Judges’ Scores

7

7

7

21/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

7

7

7

21/30

The Readers’ Score: 7

#TeamPitchPerfect 1(800)868-3405




Jamie Anderson and Artem Chigvintsev
Viennese Waltz
Eliminated in First Elimination


Feeling Good by Avicii

Bentley My favorite thing about this dance was how I could feel that Jamie was truly performing as herself, and not hiding behind a character. Her Viennese Waltz felt like there was a lot of “dragging” in it, but despite the parts where she had to catch back up to Artem, I thought she had grace and elegance in her movement. I guess I am in the minority opinion when I say that I thought she stood out because she ended up eliminated by the end of the night, which I found disappointing and actually a bit surprising. Sure, she was on the lower part of the scoreboard, but I actually thought that her authenticity and refreshing personality would radiate with the rest of the audience like it did with me. But I do have to keep in mind that the competition is tight, and personality can only take you so far, especially when you dance earlier in the show. I hope we get to see these two dance again in the finale!

Julia Sadly, I was correct in my prediction of Jamie being yet another partner of Artem’s treated as little more than canon fodder by the show. I found her sweet and endearing in a way, and I thought her dance was underscored (had it not been I think there’s good chance she’d still be in the game instead of Kareem). I also think part of the problem was her dancing immediately after Jennie, another blonde woman with a first name beginning with the letter “J” (in fact, I noticed a lot of people were confused after the show thinking Jennie had been eliminated instead of Jamie XD). It’s unfortunate because neither she nor Artem really did anything wrong (other than typical flaws in her dancing) but his partnerships tend to fade into the background and that caught up with them earlier than normal this time.

The Judges’ Scores

6

7

6

19/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

6

6

7

19/30

The Readers’ Score: 7

#TeamInnerG 1(800)868-3404




Mirai Nagasu and Alan Bersten
Salsa


No Excuses by Meghan Trainor

Bentley I’m glad we got to see the video package before Mirai’s dance because I got to see the more bubbly and joking side of her. I’ve seen some people say that they think Mirai seems full of herself, but I don’t see that in the slightest. I don’t even understand what Mirai said that sounded even the slightest bi self-centered, but maybe I missed something. And even she she did say something a bit self-centered, I’m sure it was just a joke. And besides, we are all a bit self-centered… who cares? Anyway, from a technical standpoint, I really enjoyed her Salsa. Mirai and Alan are just so adorable and cheeky together! There were some nice tricks and precise footwork, but I think Mirai could tighten up her stance and fine-tune her footwork just a tad bit. I wish they would have gotten a different song because it was a bit weird for a Salsa, and it got a bit boring with how repetitive the music is. But in the end, these two rocked it, and they should be proud of themselves!

Julia I think Mirai is going to be one of the best technicians of the season and I think she’ll also prove to be a dynamic performer. She has things to work on but it was only Week 1 and she’s on the right track. I’ve also seen tons of comments commenting on her supposed “attitude” which I think is just a thing people say when they need an excuse to explain why they dislike someone. I get not understanding/enjoying her sense of humor, but nothing really indicated she was stuck-up or thought she was the best like some have been claiming. I absolutely LOVE that she and Adam are so supportive of each other and it’s unfortunate that it’s unlikely both will make the Finale (mostly because of vote splitting). I think Mirai is safe next week but could be in big trouble come Week 3 if people continue to dislike her for whatever reason.

The Judges’ Scores

7

8

8

23/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

8

8

8

24/30

The Readers’ Score: 8

#TeamFireIceAndSpice 1(800)868-3409




Arike Ogunbowale and Gleb Savchenko
Salsa


Them Girls by Whitney Myer

Bentley I feel as sort of brother/sister vibe from Arike and Gleb, and I think that works in their favor. Gleb is catering to Arike’s strengths really well, although I hope to see him put Arike in some more traditional footwear soon! Arike did well with the Salsa content she was given, but I think she needs to loosen up a bit more. I can tell she is focused when she dances, but she needs to make it look a little more spontaneous. Arike has a certain groove to her, but I think she held back on us. Maybe she’ll be a little more comfortable next week and we can see her really feel the music more. I originally thought that Arike was in trouble during the premiere because of the college basketball rules against her being able to campaign for herself, but she was unique and fun, and the audience saw that.

Julia I’m rarely genuinely surprised by anything that happens on this show anymore, but Arike gave me a pleasant one on Monday! I disagree with Bentley that she held back; I was expecting her to do so, but instead she came out and brought the fun and fire to her Salsa! I like that she’s more of a tomboy than most of the women we get on this show, but I definitely agree she needs to wear heels for her performances so she can get her footwork right. Arike is another contestant I wish we had for a full season so we could see her improvement over a longer period of time. Also, I’m glad the NCAA has found ways for her to participate in things like interviews so she can get more of the full DWTS experience and some media coverage to remind people she’s here!

The Judges’ Scores

7

6

7

20/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

6

7

7

20/30

The Readers’ Score: 7

#TeamMirrorBallers 1(800)868-3402




Adam Rippon and Jenna Johnson
Cha-Cha-Cha


Sissy That Walk by RuPaul

Bentley I figured Adam was going to come out with a bang, but his Cha-Cha-Cha was absolutely show-stopping. I might even go as far as saying that this dance is one of the best Premiere dances I have ever seen on this show. I would definitely put it in the top five. Adam had stellar hip work, footwork, and even shoulder work. The way that presents himself is very eye-catching, and makes him stand out from every single other couple this season. Jenna must be happy that she has a partner with so much potential that at the same time gets along with her ever-so perfectly. Just like with Mirai, I think Adam could center his balance just a tad more, which just barely affected his footwork, but that’s about the only negative critique I would give it. There is not a single scenario in which I don’t see Adam making it to the Finale this season!

Julia If Adam breaks his leg, catches on fire, or goes on a killing spree, I’d be concerned about his chances to make the Finale. Other than that, yeah, I have to agree with Bentley that I don’t see him not making it there. :P I agree with this being one of the best Premiere dances ever on DWTS; not sure exactly how high I’d put it, but it’s definitely up there. I agree on the balance thing but other than that Adam had great technique (those New Yorkers!) and a special star quality that shone through. And THAT JUMP AT THE END! Omg. I am absolutely hyped to see what Adam and Jenna do next!

The Judges’ Scores

8

8

8

24/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

9

9

9

27/30

The Readers’ Score: 8

#TeamJustFriends 1(800)868-3401




Johnny Damon and Emma Slater
Foxtrot
Eliminated in First Elimination


Centerfield by John Fogerty

Bentley I really appreciate Johnny going all out and giving that Foxtrot his all, because even though it was a bit of a mess, I could tell he was letting loose and just having fun with the music. Emma gave him a good variety of content, and sure, there was a lot of room for refinement and more precise technique, but the effort did not go unnoticed! This couple, like most of Emma’s partnerships, seemed like they were having genuine fun even outside of the dancing, but unfortunately, it just wasn’t enough to make it to week two. It seems to me, though, that Johnny appreciates just being picked for the show, so at least he got the chance to a dance with a theme about the sport he loves most!

Julia This felt like a repeat of Emma’s Week 1 Foxtrot from last season, celeb is great out of hold, then falls apart after getting into it. Again, it’s a shame this had to be a four-week season with a double elimination right out of the gate, because I think if the voting and elimination had gone normally Johnny probably would have been safe for a couple more weeks and showed improvement during that time. But like with Jamie, I think he was just a little too quiet to really stand out from the crowd Monday night.

The Judges’ Scores

6

6

6

18/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

6

6

6

18/30

The Readers’ Score: 6

#TeamHomeRun 1(800)868-3406




Tonya Harding and Sasha Farber
Foxtrot


When You Believe by Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey

Bentley I am impressed. It is no secret that Tonya is not the most naturally graceful person out there, but she absolutely turned that around on Monday. Her Foxtrot with Sasha was nice and flowy, although some of her extensions were a bit rugged. In hold, Tonya’s frame is on point, and she moves along with Sasha at a good pace. I think she was a bit in her head, though, so I would like to see her more “present” in her dances moving forward. She also has to take some of the tension out of her facial expressions and just let go. And after that roaring reception from the audience, I think she will be able to do that and mentally prepare herself for next week. This performance was elegant, but I wonder how Tonya will handle a Latin style.

Julia I am not impressed. With the way the show is presenting Tonya, that is; the dance itself was very nice. Sorry not sorry, but I just can’t get over the fact that they treated Nancy like an afterthought when she was on the show but Tonya gets a package specifically designed for everyone to sympathize with her. I’m all for giving people second chances (in most cases) but they need to apologize for their wrongdoings first, and that’s why I find it difficult to root for Tonya. Like I said, the Foxtrot was good and showed just because she’s a few decades older than she was as an Olympian, she can still move and perform well. But her whole segment just seemed so unnecessarily dramatic and overproduced that I was kind of turned off.

The Judges’ Scores

8

8

7

23/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

7

7

8

22/30

The Readers’ Score: 7

#TeamAxellent 1(800)868-3410




Josh Norman and Sharna Burgess
Cha-Cha-Cha

Finesse by Bruno Mars

Bentley Josh was the suave king on the dance floor Monday night. He took his time to make sure each of his moves were not only executed technically well, but he made sure to add a little flair with all of motions, too. In doing that, though, he became out of sync with Sharna during one part for a couple bars. Josh and Sharna had a good chemistry with each other, though, which made it feel more like a fun performance rather than just a pre-choreographed routine. And maybe it’s just me, but I actually wanted to see more spicy Cha-Cha-Cha action in this routine. Sure, there was a good amount of content, plus there were a lot of hot Latin moves, but I would have like to have seen some more hard-hitting steps and maybe even some more energy in certain sections. But I guess I’m just nitpicking. Either way, this couple crushed it, and I don’t think the are going to be eliminated anytime soon.

Julia Josh was as energetic and exciting to watch, just like I said he’d be! I really like his chemistry with Sharna (not here for the showmance, but I like watching them dance together!). I think he’s going to be a fast learner and is definitely one of the top contenders for the Mirrorball Trophy!

The Judges’ Scores

8

8

8

24/30
The Bloggers’ Scores

8

8

8

24/30

The Readers’ Score: 8

#TeamBackThatPassUp 1(800)868-3407




Bentley Y’know, a lot of people weren’t fans of the opening number, but I liked it. It wasn’t the most extravagant thing in the world, but sometimes I can appreciate a bit of simplicity. The entire night felt kind of “simple” in terms of creativity, but I don’t necessarily see anything wrong with that.

Bentley I’m really hyped about the team dances next week is going to have a different theme for the dances than we usually have, like the countless Halloween team dances we have seen, or those lackluster men vs. women performances. And with a different mix of pros than usual that made it to the team dances, I am excited to see what they bring to the table.




Week 1 M.V.P. Picks

Each week, we will be choosing who we think was the “Most Valuable Pro” dancer of the week.

Bentley It would be a crime if I didn’t choose Jenna Johnson as my MVP this week. We have all been waiting for Jenna to get a really good partner, and Monday night was the time for her to show us everything she has been saving for her perfect partner. She created such an amazing routine to show off Adam in the best ways possible, and it made for them becoming probably the most memorable couple of the night. Jenna allowed Adam to become the star of the show for their dance, which was a smart thing to do because of how much personality he emits to the audience!

Dream My MVP goes to the incredible and talented Jenna Johnson. Jenna has worked behind the scenes for years helping some of the pros create routines and it is finally Jenna’s turn to shine. I am so proud of all of her hardwork and dedication. Jenna proved all the haters wrong because this was a showstopping routine. She weaved technical phrases with fun movements making a fun cohesive dance. This dance was one of the best week 1 dances that has ever been done on the show and it completely snatched my wig. IT WAS JUST SO AMAZING.

Julia As much as I don’t like that Tonya is on the show, I have to hand it to Sasha Farber: he is doing everything he can to her to the audience, bring out grace in her dancing, and give her a positive experience. I liked that he balanced strong content in the Foxtrot this week with a cool spin in the routine as a “wow” moment to keep them in the viewer’s minds. So kudos to him.




Week 1 Dance Rankings

Bentley
1. Adam & Jenna’s Cha-Cha-Cha
2. Josh & Sharna’s Cha-Cha-Cha
3. Mirai & Alan’s Salsa
4. Tonya & Sasha’s Foxtrot
5. Jennie & Keo’s Foxtrot
6. Arike & Gleb’s Salsa
7. Jamie & Artem’s Viennese Waltz
8. Chris & Witney’s Salsa
9. Johnny & Emma’s Foxtrot
10. Kareem & Lindsay’s Cha-Cha-Cha

Julia
1. Adam & Jenna’s Cha-Cha-Cha
2. Mirai & Alan’s Salsa
3. Josh & Sharna’s Cha-Cha-Cha
4. Tonya & Sasha’s Foxtrot
5. Arike & Gleb’s Salsa
6. Chris & Witney’s Salsa
7. Jennie & Keo’s Foxtrot
8. Jamie & Artem’s Viennese Waltz
9. Johnny & Emma’s Foxtrot
10. Kareem & Lindsay’s Cha-Cha-Cha

Dream
1. Adam & Jenna’s Cha-Cha-Cha
2. Mirai & Alan’s Salsa
3. Josh & Sharna’s Cha-Cha-Cha
4. Jennie & Keo’s Foxtrot
5. Tonya & Sasha’s Foxtrot
6. Arike & Gleb’s Salsa
7. Jamie & Artem’s VW
8.  Chris & Witney’s Salsa
9. Johnny & Emma’s Foxtrot
10. Kareem & Lindsay Cha-Cha-Cha




Week 1 Stats

Dancing With the Stars Season 26, Week 1 Leaderboard

Bloggers’ Scores
Couple
Dance Style
Judges’ Scores
Overall Scores
Chris and Witney
Salsa
7, 7, 7
21/30
6, 7, 7 (20/30)
Kareem and Lindsay
Cha-Cha-Cha
6, 5, 6
17/30
5, 4, 5 (14/30)
Jennie and Keo
Foxtrot
7, 7, 7
21/30
7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Jamie and Artem
Viennese Waltz
6, 7, 6
19/30
6, 6, 7 (19/30)
Mirai and Alan
Salsa
7, 8, 8
23/30
8, 8, 8 (24/30)
Arike and Gleb
Salsa
7, 6, 7
19/30
6, 7, 7 (20/30)
Adam and Jenna
Cha-Cha-Cha
8, 8, 8
24/30
9, 9, 9 (27/30)
Johnny and Emma
Foxtrot
6, 6, 6
18/30
6, 6, 6 (18/30)
Tonya and Sasha
Foxtrot
8, 8, 7
23/30
7, 7, 8 (22/30)
Josh and Sharna
Cha-Cha-Cha
8, 8, 8
24/30
8, 8, 8 (24/30)




Next Week…

Next week, the eight remaining couples will each perform a new individual dance of a style they have not done yet. Then, the cast will be divided into two teams of four couples each for the team dance challenge. NFL player and season 24 winner Rashad Jennings will join Carrie Ann, Len, and Bruno on the panel as a guest judge. At the end of the night, the votes casted from after Monday night’s show will be calculated with the couple’s scores to determine the next couples going home in the second double elimination of the season, which will determine the final six.

Chris & Witney, Josh & Sharna, Kareem & Lindsay, and Tonya & Sasha are Team 1950’s Tennis. Mirai & Alan, Arike & Gleb, Adam & Jenna, and Jennie & Keo are Team 1970’s Football.




Links

Follow Us on Twitter!
DWTS Interact: @DWTSInteract
Paul Bentley: @ThePJBentley
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Dwtsdreams: @dwtsdreams





What did you think of the premiere of DWTS: Athletes? What was your favorite dance from the night? What did you think of the eliminations of Jamie and Artem, and Johnny and Emma? What do you want to see from the team dances next week? Who do you think will be eliminated next?


#DWTS #DWTSAthletes
#DWTS26 #DWTSPremiere

No comments:

Post a Comment