Saturday, November 21, 2015

Dancing With the Stars Season 21- Week 10 (Semifinals) Review

Although the beginning was kind of dragged out, I ended up really enjoying the Semifinals on Dancing With the Stars. Despite Tamar's unfortunate withdrawal from the competition, I was glad to see Val and Jenna's amazing performance halfway through the show! And even better, there was no elimination on Monday. I'm a bit skeptical that Bindi and Nick were actually in jeopardy, though, but who knows? It was interesting to hear about everyone's life stories in round one, even though some of the dances were a tad mellow dramatic. The dance-offs seemed to be just be thrown in (which they kind of were), but they were still fun to watch nonetheless. As for the trios round, I was on the edge of my seat with all of the incredible routines. I would have given everyone tens in that round! Here are my thoughts on the show:

Round One Performances

Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Salsa- You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile by Sia
Score: 9, 9, 9 (27/30) (Final Score: 60/63) Top of the Leaderboard

This Salsa was cute- and I like that. I find it really irritating that the judges wanted Bindi to get "down and dirty". She's seventeen years old! Calm down! She had loose, yet controlled, hip action, so I have no clue what the judges wanted from her in that respect. One note that I do have is that, oddly enough, she threw away some of her lines, which she doesn't usually do. But I do have to give her major props for doing both a Samba and Salsa in one week, and pretty much nailing both of them. I give Bindi and Derek's Salsa a 9. It was a fun start to the night, so shame on you for calling it boring, Carrie Ann!

Video of Bindi and Derek's Salsa

Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Waltz- America the Beautiful performed by Ray Chew
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score: 57/63)

Touching, beautiful, smooth. . . those words don't even describe how captivated I was by Alek and Lindsay's Waltz. This dance was done at such an appropriate time, which made it even more glorious. Alek is great at ballroom, but I didn't realize that he would become this great at ballroom! I'm a patriotic person myself, so this was easily my favorite dance of the night. Alek lead Lindsay on that dance floor with amazing ease that we've never seen from him, which I did not expect at all. I give Alek and Lindsay's Waltz a 10. This couple, to me, was the standout couple of the night.

Video of Alek and Lindsay's Waltz

Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)
Contemporary- Drag Me Down by One Direction
Score: 9, 9, 10 (28/30) (Final Score: 60/63) Top of the Leaderboard

This is nothing against Carlos or Witney in any way whatsoever, but when I saw this, I literally said "What the hell?" at more than one point in this routine. Don't get me wrong, Carlos executed this dance with intense passion and emotion, but the whole concept was just, I guess, wrong. And I'm not blaming the choreography, either. I just think that the rope didn't translate well on TV. Maybe if the rope was utilized more, it would have made more sense, but it seemed like it was just a gimmick. As for the dancing quality, it was spot on. I give Carlos and Witney's Contemporary a 9. Unlike Carrie Ann and Julianne, I thought that the expressions on Carlos's face really added to the performance. He became vulnerable in a way that helped him in his overall performance.

Video of Carlos and Witney's Contemporary

Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)
Tango- Scars by Alesso featuring Ryan Tedder
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30) (Final Score: 54/63) Bottom of the Leaderboard

Not even referring to his bad start at the beginning of the routine, Nick was "squatty", rushed his steps, and lost his balance. Sharna's quick pep-talk in the middle routine helped a little bit, but Nick seemed to not match up with Sharna at all. However, besides looking like he was about to pass out, his "oops" face actually did help build the character in his dance. I give Nick and Sharna's Tango a 7. This Tango almost looked like a Paso, but the fierce movements made me forgive that.

Video of Nick and Sharna's Tango

Dance-Offs

Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold versus Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson
Cha-Cha-Cha- Fun by Pitbull featuring Chris Brown
Votes: Alek, Carlos, Carlos
Winner: Carlos and Witney (+3 Points)

I'm so glad that even though Alek was clearly the less technical dancer in this dance-off, he sure seemed like he was having fun on that dance floor. He is so much fun to watch! Carlos showed off his crisp and sharp Latin technique, which sold it for me. Both couples were hot, hot, hot, even though Carlos and Witney was the clear winner to me. I would have voted for Carlos and Witney to win the Cha-Cha-Cha dance-off. They were both entertaining, so I wasn't disappointed by either performance.

Video of Alek vs Carlos's Cha-Cha-Cha

Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough versus Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess
Samba- Lean On by Major Lazer and DJ Snake featuring MØ
Votes: Bindi, Bindi, Bindi
Winner: Bindi and Derek (+3 Points)

Surprisingly, I found both Bindi and Nick to be a bit low-energy in their Sambas on Monday. Bindi had superior hip action, but Nick had stronger leg action. Both couples were on fire (not on a big fire, though), and both celebrities were very technical. At the end of the day, I enjoyed watching Bindi more, but I think that Nick was a hair sharper than Bindi. I would have voted for Nick and Sharna to win the Samba dance-off. I wouldn't have minded either of the couples winning, but it seems like the majority thought that Bindi was the clear winner.

Video of Bindi vs Nick's Samba

Trios Round

Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Jazz- Resolve by Nathan Lanier
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score: 60/63) Top of the Leaderboard
Trio Partner: Mark Ballas

Bindi and Derek just like to throw surprises at us left and right, don't they?! I don't usually say this, but that Jazz number was a work of art. Bindi has shown so many different sides to herself this season, while never disappointing the audience in the process. I could tell that Derek and Mark both had heavy influences in this routine, which is evident because those two together are unstoppable! I give Bindi, Derek, and Mark's Jazz a 10. This dance is tied for my favorite dance of the night!

Video of Bindi, Derek, and Mark's Jazz

Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Argentine Tango- Ex's and Oh's by Elle King
Score: 9. 9, 9 (27/30) (Final Score: 57/63)
Trio Partner: Emma Slater

I'm not going to lie- I love the fact that Alek chose Emma to dance with him! I don't usually "ship" people together on DWTS, but I honestly think that there could be something between Alek and Emma (we'll see!). This Argentine Tango was super hot in all ways possible without any missteps in the process! I call total BS on the judges saying that Alek "lost steam" at the end. I did not see that at all. It seems to me like they were just looking for something to deduct points on. But then again, nobody ever said that this show was fair. I give Alek, Lindsay, and Emma's Argentine Tango a 10. This is the other dance that was tied for my favorite trio of the night! Clearly, from both his Waltz and his Argentine Tango, Alek and Lindsay was the stand-out couple from the Semifinals to me!

Video of Alek, Lindsay, and Emma's Argentine Tango

Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)
Charleston- Booty Swing by Parov Stelar
Score: 9, 10, 10 (29/30) (Final Score: 60/63) Top of the Leaderboard
Trio Partner: Karina Smirnoff

I was so excited to see this Charleston after I found out Karina was dancing with Team Brown Sugar this week because I absolutely loved the trio Jazz number from Karina and Witney with Corbin in season 17 in 2013! My favorite part of the dance was the creative and intriguing lift towards the end of the routine; I've never seen a lift like that before! Carlos was on point during the trio round, which was a huge relief after the awkwardness in his first dance of the night. I give Carlos, Witney, and Karina's Charleston a 10. Carlos is doing well when it comes to the scores, but I am wondering if he is getting the votes to allow him to win the Mirror Ball Trophy.

Video of Carlos, Witney, and Karina's Charleston

Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)
Salsa- No Doubt About It by the Empire cast featuring Jussie Smollett and Pitbull
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score: 54/63) Bottom of the Leaderboard
Trio Partner: Peta Murgatroyd

I was so disappointed that Peta couldn't be in this season, so I was beyond ecstatic to see her back on the show (And I bet I'm not the only who was)! Anyway, Nick had a huge comeback from his Tango with his Salsa, nailing both the Latin moves and the Hip Hop moves in this routine. Nick was the perfect center man, and Sharna and Peta were the perfect girls to showcase his true talents! I give Nick, Sharna, and Peta's Salsa a 10. I wonder if this dance saved him from possibly being eliminated on Monday before the part-two finale night on Tuesday.

Video of Nick, Sharna, and Peta's Salsa







So what did you think of the Semifinals on Dancing With the Stars? What was your favorite dance of the night? Which trio dance captivated you the most? Who do you think had the best dance-off routine of the night? Who do you think will be the season 21 champion of Dancing With the Stars, earning them the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy? Next week is the two-night finale! Monday will be the judges'-pick dance choices, along with the Freestyles. Then, after Monday's elimination, the final three will compete in Tuesday with a redo dance along with a Fusion dance for the 24-hour challenge! The whole cast from this season will be back, so make sure you check it out!

Make sure you follow me on Twitter at @DWTS2015 for DWTS news, surveys, updates, live tweets, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment