Saturday, November 28, 2015

Dancing With the Stars Season 21- Week 11 (Finale) Review

The Finale of Dancing With the Stars season 21 was jam-packed! The Judges' Choice redo dances were fun to watch, especially because it wasn't just dances that we have already seen before on this show. I loved every single Freestyle this season, but I think Bindi and Derek's was my favorite, despite Carlos and Witney's Freestyle being the most entertaining to me. It was unfortunate to see Carlos go home, but it was expected. I was just glad that he finally got a perfect score (two for that matter)! The second night of the Finale was something that I have never seen before! I was absolutely in love with the holiday-themed set at The Grove, and was bopping my head at Chaka Khan and Andy Grammer singing Baby, It's Cold Outside! I was glad to see everyone back (except Tamar, who couldn't make it because she is still sick, but slowly recovering). And I was exceptionally glad to see Kim and Tony perform that Samba that we never got to see from them! Nick and Sharna's Viennese Waltz was even better the second time, and so was Bindi and Derek's, which gave me shivers! Alexander Jean was a highlight if the guest performances, although I loved every single one of them! The final dances, the Fusion dances, were a great way to end the season while reminiscing about the amazing journey all the celebrities had in the past several weeks. In the end, Alek came in third, Nick came in second, and Bindi came in first. I'm glad Alek made it as far as he did, especially because he is a hero- and who doesn't like a hero?! Both Nick and Bindi deserved the Mirror Ball Trophy in my opinion, but when the chips fell, Bindi had more of the viewers' votes than Nick. Nick and Sharna were always entertaining to watch every single week, and Bindi and Derek brought something special to the show that I have never seen in all twenty-one seasons of this show! I'm going to miss this season, but I am too eager for season 22 with the return of Len Goodman next year!

Night One: Judges' Choice Redo Dances

Each finalist couple was assigned a judge to help them out in the rehearsal studio to perform a dance style that they already did this season decided by the judge depending on what they needed to improve on. Although the couples repeated a dance style, they did their performances to different music with different choreography.

Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar) Eliminated- 4th Place
Foxtrot- The Hills by The Weeknd
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score From Night 1: 60/60) Top of the Leaderboard
Judge's Choice Redo: Foxtrot from Week 2, Night 1 (Bruno Tonioli)

Unlike most others, I actually really liked this music to go with a Foxtrot, especially for a dancer like Carlos. With music like this, it's easier to make an elegant form of emotion. Carlos didn't have much to improve on from his Foxtrot during week two, but he definitely did improve. Bruno, of course, did a great job with his feet and shoulders, which is what he usually calls people out on in dances like this. I give Carlos and Witney's Foxtrot a 10. It's about time Carlos got a perfect score!

Video of Carlos and Witney's Finale Foxtrot

Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Rumba- The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore by James Morrison
Score: 9, 9, 9 (27/30) (Final Score From Night 1: 57/60) Bottom of the Leaderboard
Judge's Choice Redo: Rumba from Week 5 (Carrie Ann Inaba)

I was worried that Alek would get a Latin dance for perform, because frankly, that is not his strong point- especially with the Rumba. Nonetheless, there was a little bit of an improvement from his Rumba with Emma. Granted, he did look to be more into it with Emma, so I guess that just further proves that Emma and Alek need to get married. XD Carrie Ann didn't seem to focus on Alek's weak points, which really isn't shocking by this point. I give Alek and Lindsay's Rumba a 9. Alek threw his arms away and had lackluster hip action, but I expected that from looking at his previous Latin dances.

Video of Alek and Lindsay's Finale Rumba

Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)
Jive- Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score From Night 1: 60/60) Top of the Leaderboard
Judge's Choice Redo: Jive from Week 2, Night 1 (Julianne Hough)

DAYUM, Sharna! Both of them were on fire, but Sharna was heated to the core! Nick improved tremendously from his mistake-filled jive during Hometown Glory week. I think the fun dynamic between Julianne and Team SharNick during rehearsals actually helped Nick get a better feel to the routine. I give Nick and Sharna's Jive a 10. This was one of the hottest dances of the season!

Video of Nick and Sharna's Finale Jive

Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Quickstep- Dr. Bones by Cherry Poppin' Daddies
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score From Night 1: 60/60) Top of the Leaderboard
Judge's Choice Redo: Quickstep from Week 3 (Carrie Ann Inaba)

This might just be my favorite dance of the season (it's a hard choice between this and Nick's Viennese Waltz)! Considering Bindi nailed all of her dances this season, there wasn't much Carrie Ann could choose from for this redo dance. By the way, why out of all judges did Carrie Ann get two couples to go into rehearsals this week?! Anyway, Bindi was perfection in week three, and in this dance, she was beyond that. Derek choreographed the perfect dance for her, and that's what I love about his choreography. I give Bindi and Derek's Quickstep a 10. I love how Derek was able to be creative with the troupe in this routine while still staying in hold!

Video of Bindi and Derek's Finale Quickstep

Night One: Freestyle Performance Round
The Freestyle round gave all of the four finalist couples creative control over what their routines would be. In this round, there aren't any rules. After the Freestyle dances, a couple was eliminated before night-two of the finale.

Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar) Eliminated- 4th Place
Freestyle- WTF (Where They From) by Missy Elliott featuring Pharrell Williams
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score From Night 1: 60/60) Top of the Leaderboard

This was the most entertaining Freestyle of the night in my opinion. I thought it was amazingly hilarious to add Paula in the dance (she is my spirit animal, LOL), along with Hayes and Alexa. Carlos was kind of feminine at certain points, but I don't mind because it's a Freestyle, not a ballroom dance. It was expected for Carlos to be eliminated on Monday, but that doesn't mean his dances were not incredible! I give Carlos and Witney's Freestyle a 10. I can't get Missy Elliott's new song out of my head because of this creative performance!

Video of Carlos and Witney's Freestyle

Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Freestyle- Marchin' On by OneRepublic
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score From Night 1: 57/60) Bottom of the Leaderboard

This was a Freestyle that I felt like I've never seen before, which made me really respect the choreography of this dance. Alek has had a unique journey on this show, and this dance really showcased that in a type of style that suits him perfectly. I give Alek and Lindsay's Freestyle a 10. Just like Carrie Ann, I will remember this Freestyle when I look back on this season because of this uplifting and powerful military-style Freestyle!

Video of Alek and Lindsay's Freestyle

Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Freestyle- Footprints in the Sand by Leona Lewis
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score From Night 1: 60/60) Top of the Leaderboard

Not a lot of dances on this show make me emotional, but Bindi's Freestyle was an absolute exception. I have never seen imagery as powerful as the footprints in the sand at the end of the routine, along with the unexpected picture of Bindi and her father on the screen. Sometimes Contemporary performances can have fake and forced emotion, but I can tell that everything about this dance was pure and from the heart. I give Bindi and Derek's Freestyle a 10. Bindi and Derek transferred me into another realm with the explainable beautiful nature of this Freestyle!

Video of Bindi and Derek's Freestyle

Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)
Freestyle- Larger Than Life by Backstreet Boys
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Score From NIght 1: 60/60) Top of the Leaderboard

As I have stated before, I have never been a Backstreet Boys fan, but I think this show-stopping performance converted me! His Backstreet Boys Jazz in week four was fun, but this Freestyle trumped over that with an even greater energy and performance value! The background dancers added a high voltage level of entertainment as well. I give Nick and Sharna's Freestyle a 10. Nick's Freestyle was definitely "larger than life"!

Video of Nick and Sharna's Freestyle

Night Two: 24-Hour Fusion Dance Challenge
The final three couples had less than twenty-four hours to create and perform a routine that combined two dance styles that they already performed this season. After this round, third place and second place were announced, as well as revealing the winner of the season twenty-one of Dancing With the Stars with the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy.

Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick) Runner-Up- 2nd Place
Salsa/Tango Fusion- Turn Up the Music by Chris Brown
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Finale Score: 90/90) Top of the Leaderboard

I know that it is difficult to combine two dance styles in less than twenty-four hours, but I would have like to seen some more Tango in this Fusion dance. Nick did forget his steps for a few seconds, but he had a great recovery. It will still fiery hot, just like his Jive, and made me want to get up on my feet, but it did have it a few tiny flaws. It could have been a tad more precise, but I do realize that it is hard to do that in such a short time frame. I give Nick and Sharna's Salsa/Tango Fusion a 9. Nick had had a steady progression throughout this season, and even though he did not win the Mirror Ball Trophy, I think that Nick will truly appreciate this experience for the rest of his life. Sharna was the perfect partner for him, being able to guide him in both the rehearsal studios and on the dance floor. These two were memorable to season 21, and I hope they know that.

Video of Nick and Sharna's Salsa/Tango Fusion

Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown) 3rd Place
Rumba/Tango Fusion- A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay
Score: 9, 9, 9 (27/30) (Final Finale Score: 84/90) Bottom of the Leaderboard

Surprisingly enough, I actually thought that Alek's Rumba was a lot stronger from his redo dance on Monday, but his Tango was off balance. Alek finally showed off his hips that everyone has been waiting for since week one! I also have to give major props to Lindsay once again for a cohesive and creative blend of two dances in such a short period of time. I hope she stays as a pro for next season! I give Alek and Lindsay's Rumba/Tango Fusion a 9. Just a few months ago, Alek was just an average person living his life like everyone else, when suddenly, he was known to the whole world as a hero along with Spencer Stone and Anthony Sadler. Then, in the next second, he was a celebrity on Dancing With the Stars! He managed to get a feel for the cameras around week eight, and in the end, he became a star! I love the showmance that he and Emma have, even though his partnership with Lindsay was fun to watch as well. Lindsay has proven to be a star choreographer, and with that creative choreography, she made Alek become the eccentric person that he is today.

Video of Alek and Lindsay's Rumba/Tango Fusion

Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey) WINNER- FIRST PLACE
Argentine Tango/Cha-Cha-Cha Fusion- All The Way by Timeflies
Score: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) (Final Finale Score: 90/90) Top of the Leaderboard

Just like Riker and Allison's Salsa/Quickstep Fusion last season, I couldn't tell that this Argentine Tango/Cha-Cha-Cha Fusion was done in only twenty-four hours! Her leg action was completely in sync with Derek, and was clearly a crowd-pleaser to everyone in the audience! Bindi's spirits have never been broken even once in this competition, which made it a shoe-in for her to bring the usual high-energy to the dance floor! I give Bindi and Derek's Argentine Tango/Cha-Cha-Cha Fusion a 10. It was a perfect score to end a perfect season. Bindi seems like such a genuine person with her positive attitude that is infectious to everyone around her. She and Derek shined on that dance floor! And although Derek has won seven different Mirror Ball Trophies, I think that he absolutely deserved this one the most, which shows for the very special win that these two have had together. Bindi and Derek deserved to win, especially because I think that they tried the hardest and wanted it the most!

Video of Bindi and Derek's Argentine Tango/Cha-Cha-Cha Fusion









That's it! Season 21 of Dancing With the Stars is over! It was a fun season, but I already can't wait for season 22, which premieres on Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8/7c on ABC! It has been so much fun interacting with all of you this season on Twitter and on my blog! Thank you for reading my blog, sharing your opinions on the show, and updating me with all sorts of DWTS news! I will be back blogging for next season, too! This Winter, I will also be blogging about other things relating to Dancing With the Stars. Suggestions for blog post topics are welcome!

What did you think of the Dancing With the Stars season 21 Finale? What was your favorite Freestyle dance? Who did you predict to win? What did you think of the final results? Who do you want to see next season on DWTS? Next season will feature an all new celebrity cast with returning judge Len Goodman!

Make sure to follow me on Twitter at @DWTS2015 for Dancing With the Stars news, updates, surveys, live tweets, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment