Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Dancing With the Stars Season 22- Week 1 (Premiere) Breakdown [Bentley and Julia]

Monday night was the premiere of season 22 of Dancing With the Stars, and it was jam-packed with high quality dancing! Here are Julia's and Bentley's thoughts on the show!

[Order of the Judges' Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli]

Actress/Reality TV Star Kim Fields and her partner Sasha Farber
Cha-Cha-Cha: Sax by Fleur East
Judges' Scores: 7, 6, 7 (20/30)
Julia's Score: 7
Bentley's Score: 7

#TeamKimsha 1(800)868-3406

I thought Kim seemed slightly stiff and nervous and first but then she got really good! I really liked Sasha's choreography for this dance! These two also seem to have some of the most natural chemistry this season and I'm looking forward to seeing more from them in the coming weeks. I'm especially interested to see a ballroom routine from Kim, but next week is Latin Night so hopefully she survives the first elimination so she can possibly do one!

What a way to start of the season! The premiere was full of surprises, and Kim's high level of dance skill was a pleasant one! She filled the dance floor with her large movements. I'm glad that Sasha is back after a long hiatus as Kim's partner because he is able to make performances both fun and traditional. Kim needs to extend her lines more as well as polish her footwork, so she does have a little bit to do in order to reach some of the other contestants' levels of technique. I also loved the use of the troupe in the background being able to add some more visuals that were not to invasive of showcasing Kim.

UFC Fighter/Model Paige VanZant and her partner Mark Ballas
Foxtrot: Ain't Got Far To Go by Jess Glynne
Judges' Scores: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Julia's Score: 8
Bentley's Score: 8
#PowRightInTheKisser 1(800)868-3410

This was a great routine and Paige seems to be very smooth and light on her feet, which surprised me for some reason. I really like the vibe between these two and thought this was a good dance but I would have liked to see a bit more in hold, though the side-by-side bits really did highlight Paige's abilities as a dancer. Paige is also very animated and had nice facial expressions during her dance, which should help her in her Salsa for Latin Night next week. Hopefully we'll see some routines with her playing a character like Mark often likes to have his partners do because I think she'll nail those.

If this dance were later into the show, I feel like Paige's scores would have been higher; the judges start of low during the beginning of premiere episodes in order to get a feel of what the dancers are like. The type of costumes that Paige and Mark were wearing are usually not exactly my forte, but I actually ended up falling in love with their outfits. Paige is so elegant and smooth that she made every move seem effortless. She does, however, chase the music, especially in hold. That is just nit picking, though. I have to applaud Mark as well for fusing traditional Foxtrot with some Jazz elements without losing the essence of the dance.

NFL Quarterback Doug Flutie and his partner Karina Smirnoff
FoxtrotSweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good) by Neil Diamond
Judges' Scores: 5, 5, 5 (15/30)
Julia's Score: 5
Bentley's Score: 5
#TeamKutie 1(800)8683402

I like the vibe of this couple but the dance was sort of off for me. Doug's upper body and arms seemed very stiff during the dance and as a result it was kind of awkward. He also seemed quite nervous. They have Paso Doble next week so hopefully Doug gains some confidence so he can really sell the routine.

This guy has personality for days! Doug might not be the best dancer, but he seems to genuinely enjoy being on the show, especially with having Karina with him along the way. Is Doug really clumsy? Yes. Did Karina practically dance around him? Of course. But Doug has a truckload of charm, which makes me want to give him a ten just for having fun! These two might not last much longer, but at least he is having a blast, unlike other celebrities that go on and then bash the show!

Actress Jodie Sweetin and her partner Keoikantse Motsepe
TangoConfident by Demi Lovato
Judges' Scores: 7, 6, 7 (20/30)
Julia's Score: 7
Bentley's Score: 7
#TeamMoSweet 1(800)868-3405

I'm liking this couple so far and thought this was a great routine. The choreography seemed a bit "safe" but that was understandable seeing as this was the very first Week 1 Tango Dancing With the Stars has ever had. I liked that there was a lot of content in this dance and Jodie really nailed it. The only thing I didn't like so much was her facial expression. I get that she wanted to look "fierce" but it just made her look tense and awkward. But I definitely thought this dance was underscored!

Damn, this couple is hotter than Ginger's Summer weather report! Jodie is able to work a camera. No doubt about that! Jodie truly lived up to the high expectations that people set for her weeks before the season even started. Jodie is fierce! She is clearly a natural dancer, and matches Keo really well. The only reason why I would give this performance a seven instead of an eight is because there was too much motion in the hold. Overall, though, this was a solid Tango.

Reporter/Talk Show Host Geraldo Rivera and his partner Edyta Śliwińska
Cha-Cha-ChaTreasure by Bruno Mars
Judges' Scores: 5, 4, 4 (13/30) Bottom of the Leaderboard
Julia's Score: 3
Bentley's Score: 3
#TeamGeraldEyta 1(800)868-3403

Unfortunately, Geraldo has a big disadvantage in that his body is much older and more run-down than those of the other contestants, so he wasn't able to do much in this routine. It wasn't his fault, but he just wasn't able to live up to everyone else this week. However, I do give credit to him for dancing on a completely numb foot.

To be honest, I think this dance was only slightly better than P. Miller's train wreck Quickstep, and only slightly worse than Kim Zolciak-Biermann's slow-motion Samba. He just did not move. I found the whole "Al Capone's Vault" reference humorous, but everything just went downhill from square one. The little Cha-Cha-Cha content that he did execute was barely recognizable, and was completely off with the troupe behind him. He will probably not last long, but at least Edyta will be able to have fun using the troupe to cover up his lack of dancing ability!

Businesswoman/Actress Marla Maples and her partner Tony Dovolani
QuickstepSparkling Diamonds by Nicole Kidman, Jim Broadbent, and Lara Mulcahy
Judges' Scores: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Julia's Score: 7
Bentley's Score: 7
#TeamMarTony 1(800)868-3407

I'm enjoying the feeling of ease between Marla and Tony and their Quickstep this week was enjoyable to watch. I really appreciated that Tony did not shy away from putting a lot of content into this routine and Marla did a good job of grasping it. She did make a few mistakes but it was a Week 1 Quickstep so that wasn't exactly unexpected. She definitely did better than I thought she would and I am excited to see more from this couple!

People called me crazy, but I had a strong feeling that Marla was going to do really well...and she did! She has a whole lot of pep in her step; she dances like a thirty-year-old! Marla kept up with Tony emphatically well, even though she was a bit wobbly at some places. Mark my words-I absolutely think that she will be able to make it further than the general audience thinks!And just as a side note, Marla said that Donald Trump's hair isn't that bad...let that sink in.

Boyz II Men Singer Wanyá Morris and his partner Lindsay Arnold
Cha-Cha-ChaMotownphilly by Boyz II Men
Judges' Scores: 8, 7, 8 (23/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Julia's Score: 8
Bentley's Score: 8
#TeamYayZee 1(800)868-3412

I expected this couple to be popular with viewers but I did not expect them to do this well with the dancing itself, and I was especially surprised to see them at the top of the leaderboard! Wanyá really nailed this. He did very well with the content Lindsay included in the number and he is definitely a great performer!

This, to me, was the biggest pleasant surprise of the night. I had no clue that Wanyá was going to be that entertaining and light on his feet! To be honest, I thought he wasn't going to do that well, but I eat my words now! He is suave, and has tons of swagger on that dance floor. Lindsay really did choreograph a routine that suits Wanyá dance style, and it showcased him like nobody else on the premiere. I do want to see a little more hip action, but I'm sure Lindsay will address that to him. Wanyá is a real competitor for that Mirror Ball Trophy!

Weather Presenter Ginger Zee and her partner Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Jive: Move by Beyoncé Knowles, Anika Noni Rose, and Jennifer Hudson
Judges' Scores: 8, 7, 8 (23/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Julia's Score: 7
Bentley's Score: 8
#TeamGinAndJuice 1(800)868-3404

I think Ginger did very well with the routine she was given. She was quite clean in her technique and animated as a performer. However, I was kind of disappointed in Val's choreography. I would have liked to have seen a lot more Jive content than what we got. Ginger can dance, so the fact that Val didn't include a lot of content makes me wonder if he was trying to hide her dance experience so when she does get a routine with a lot of content people will think she is displaying a lot of improvement when she was really that good the whole time!

Ginger has a fun and weird personality, so that oddly makes me like her more than I thought I would! She nailed those steps she was given, even though I personally would have liked to see a hair more basic Jive content. The thing that really stood out to me, although only slightly noticeable, was Ginger's wide dinosaur stance. That needs to go! Other than that, I think Val is going to be able to showcase Ginger's style to bring her to the end!

Actress Mischa Barton and her partner Artem Chigvintsev

TangoIn the Night by The Weeknd
Judges' Scores: 5, 5, 6 (16/30)
Julia's Score: 6
Bentley's Score: 5
#TeamBlackVelvet 1(800)868-3408

Mischa got one of the most difficult styles of the night, but I think it was probably the style best suited to her personality. She embodied the mood of the dance well but her technique wasn't that great. Artem's choreography was kind of "safe" (and actually, so was Keo's Tango choreo for Jodie to a lesser extent) and this was understandable considering it was a WEEK 1 TANGO and the pro would want their celebrity to sucessfully perform the dance, but this is sort of the reason WHY I don't think having Tango as a style for the first night is a good idea.


I don't know if Mischa is actually this, but Dancing With the Stars made it seem like she has an extreme stand-offish personality...and that is not good for votes! Unfortunately, as for the dance itself, I have to agree with Len's comment that it was very pedestrian, and lacked any sort of variety in content. Mischa was able to get a feel for the intensity of the dance, and she was even very sharp, but she was noticeably unstable in her frame and posture. I think it would have been better for Artem to put more travelling (and not just walking when travelling) to make the dance less frantic, but to each their own. Unless Mischa is able to break out of her shell and show more of a fun side to the audience, she will probably only last another week or two.

Model/Actor Nyle DiMarco and his partner Peta Murgatroyd
Cha-Cha-ChaCake by the Ocean by DNCE
Judges' Scores: 8, 7, 8 (23/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Julia's Score: 8
Bentley's Score: 8

#RedefiningDance 1(800)868-3409

This was one of my favorite dances of the night! Nyle and Peta have a great partnership already and both seem determined to do well. Nyle definitely has natural rhythm and great stage presence and somehow managed to have the best musicality out of any contestant last night...despite not being able to hear any music! In my rankings prediction post I guessed that he was going to last for quite awhile in the competition, but now I'm thinking he might go even farther than I ever thought!

Nyle is a triple threat: looks, skill, and inspiration. This hot couple really sold this Cha-Cha-Cha. Peta really showcased Nyle, which can go very wrong on week one, but it went perfectly for this model! It is so incredible to see his impeccable sense of rhythm, even though he chose not to feel the vibrations of the music because it felt "off" to him. This was one of the most technically spectacular performances of the night. He does, however, have this weird thing with just keeping his arms in the air without extending his lines, so that needs to be addressed. It was so heartwarming to see Nyle get the highest score of the night, overcoming not being able to hear his cues. It was even more heartwarming to see some of the audience as well as some of the other couples cheer for him in ASL. This couple is for sure going to be in the finale, even though there is a plenitude of phenomenal dancers this season!

NFL Wide Receiver Antonio Brown and his partner Sharna Burgess
QuickstepBad Man by Pitbull featuring Robin Thicke, Joe Perry, and Travis Barker)
Judges' Scores: 8, 6, 7 (21/30)
Julia's Score: 7
Bentley's Score: 8
#TeamBOOMin 1(800)868-3401

This pair was my pre-season guess for the Mirrorball Trophy, but after last night I think they might not end up winning it. Their Quickstep was fine but I see Sharna is already breaking rules with the choreography, which has already resulted in a somewhat low score from Len, and seeing how close on the leaderboard most of the pairs are already, even one or two points could make a big difference as the season goes on. In addition to this, I'm still having trouble connecting with Antonio's personality and I don't think I'm alone in that. I don't recall seeing nearly as much buzz about him after the show as some of the others got. If Steeler Nation rallies behind Antonio, he'll last awhile, but I feel like at some point he could be in trouble once he'll need more than that to get through.

I freakin' love this guy's charm and charisma! His smile is infectious on that dance floor. He was a bit awkward all by himself at first, but that quickly ended when he started dancing with Sharna. Out of all the celebrities this season, I think Antonio has the most potential as a dancer, especially with seeing him dancing on his toes in the Quickstep during week one! I would have preferred for there to be more hold, but what he did was adequate enough for me. Antonio is a tad tense in the shoulders, but that is such a minor criticism. This dance was extremely entertaining to watch, and had me bopping my head from start to finish!

NFL Linebacker Von Miller and his partner Witney Carson
FoxtrotMy House by Flo Rida
Judges' Scores: 8, 6, 7 (21/30)
Julia's Score: 7
Bentley's Score: 6
#TeamBlondeMiller 1(800)868-3411

I liked this dance but I'm getting a similar vibe from Von and Witney as I did from Antonio and Sharna. They're fun I guess but they didn't exactly stand out to me, despite going at the end of the show. I liked the choreography but Von didn't really sell it in my eyes. He was pretty stiff at certain points. Before this season started I was sure we would have one or maybe even two football players in the finale. After last night I wouldn't be surprised if we had zero.

Out of all the phenomenal personalities this season, I think Von's is the most unique. I love his love for chickens! It's too bad that the height difference between he and Witney is so extreme since it did look like it affected his dancing. Von towers over Witney! His arms were a bit too linear, and his feet were a bit all over the place, but I have a feeling he will improve over the weeks. I think Latin dances will be more of his forte, so I am excited to see what he has to offer next week for Latin night. The song for this dance did not match at all for the Foxtrot, but Witney was able to choreograph the routine as best as she could. Personally, this type of Foxtrot is not my cup of tea, but Von's personality overshadowed that!

Julia's Rankings of the Week 1 Performances:
1. Nyle & Peta
2. Wanyá & Lindsay
3. Paige & Mark
4. Jodie & Keo
5. Kim & Sasha
6. Von & Witney
7. Antonio & Sharna
8. Ginger & Val
9. Marla & Tony
10. Mischa & Artem
11. Doug & Karina
12. Geraldo & Edyta

Bentley's Rankings of the Week 1 Performances:
1. Nyle & Peta
2. Paige & Mark
3. Wanyá & Lindsay
4. Antonio & Sharna
5. Jodie & Keo
6. Ginger & Val
7. Marla & Tony
8. Kim & Sasha
9. Von & Witney 
10. Doug & Karina
11. Mischa & Artem
12. Geraldo & Edyta

Some other observations we had Monday night:
- Like last season, I wasn't very happy to see Quickstep as a Week 1 dance, but both contestants who were given that style did well. I wasn't sure whether I'd like Tango as a starting style or not but after last night I can safely say that it's a "no" from me on that front. What's next, Samba as a first dance in Season 23? I'd prefer they stick to Foxtrot and Cha-Cha for the first night like they used to, then introduce styles like Tango, Waltz, and Jive in Week 2, and save the the rest for Week 3 and beyond.

- It might have been the song choices but I noticed we didn't really get any traditional Foxtrots like we usually do in Week 1. I did like most of the ones we saw yesterday but I always look forward to enjoying a nice "big band" old-Hollywood style Foxtrot as part of the season opener.

- Speaking of a "big band" where was Ray Chew Live last night? Or any band at all? It was weird not seeing one in the ballroom.

- I never like it when reality show judges compare current contestants to each other or those of previous seasons, because I believe they should focus on the strengths and weaknesses of the person they are judging only. Thankfully, there was none of the former last night but unfortunately, there was plenty of the latter. A total of four people were compared to previous Dancing With the Stars contestants. FOUR. That's one third of this season's cast. I understood the comparison of Nyle to Marlee, since they are both deaf, but the rest were really annoying and unnecessary. I don't want to see the next Alfonso/Bindi/Emmitt; I want to see the first Wanya/Ginger/Antonio.

-Len is back! I am so glad that is now some harsh, yet fair, balance on the judging panel this season.

-Production was a mess during the premiere. Things kept falling, the cameras kept showing things that they were not supposed to, and the awkward live segments during commercial breaks seemed unprepared and rushed.

-It looks like DWTS is listening to the fans, and are finally putting more of a focus on the actual dancing rather than large productions with less of a focus on ballroom technique (with the exception of Geraldo's Cha-Cha-Cha). The dances on Monday were more basic than they have been in recent seasons, which is my favorite part of season 22 so far. Hopefully this doesn't change later on!

-Next week is Latin night...No Hometown Glory week? No My Jam Monday? I think the producers are aware of the overuse of limited and repetitive themed nights, so they are trying to limit those. I'm really glad to see the show finally listening to the fans this season! Even though it looks like the themed nights are going to be more free this time around, I am elated to know that Disney night is making a return!

- Hometown Glory was similar to Most Memorable Year so I can see why they might have dropped it. And I was told that several of the songs the stars requested for My Jam Monday night didn't clear and since this happened in both seasons which featured that theme night I guess they figured it was pointless.

- Speaking of theme nights, I hear the switch-up is coming back. Not a fan of it happening in 10-week seasons, especially one where there is a lot of travel going on that could make things messy.

-The opening number was good, but not as show-stopping as I thought it would have been. The song was not as high-energy as it should be for a premiere in my opinion, but it was still great to watch this introduction.




What did you think of the season 22 premiere of DWTS? What was your favorite dance of the night? Who are you rooting for this season? Who do you think will be eliminated next week?

Next week is Latin night on Dancing With the Stars!

Follow Julia on Twitter at @juliadelbel, and follow the DWTS 2016 Blog (run by Bentley) on Twitter at @DWTS2016 for more about Dancing With the Stars!


#DWTS #DWTS22

1 comment:

  1. Loved both of your takes - I had similar thoughts as both of you on the couples. I thought Len was overly harsh on mischa considering Geraldo just stood there. Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete