Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Dancing With the Stars Season 22- Week 2 (Latin Night) Breakdown [Bentley and Julia]

Monday night was Latin Night on season 22 of Dancing With the Stars, and it steaming hot with lots of Latin heat! Here are Julia’s and Bentley’s thoughts on the show!

[Order of Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli]


Jodie Sweetin and Keoikantse Motsepe
Samba: Bun Up the Dance by Dillon Francis and Skrillex
Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Julia’s Score: 8
Bentley’s Score: 7
#TeamMoSweet 1(800)868-3405

It was hard to watch Jodie struggle this week, but I was glad to see Keo be a great supporter and teacher for her. Their hard work definitely paid off! Jodie seemed more confident tonight than last week in both her dance steps and facial expressions, though she was a bit timid in her movements here and there. There weren’t any Samba rolls, but I was okay with that seeing as it’s Week 2 and I don’t agree with the style being assigned this early anyway, and there was a lot of well-executed content regardless!

Jodie really burned up that dance floor! I liked everything about this routine: the simple set, the quick use of the troupe, the choreography. Like her Fuller House co-star Candace Cameron Bure from season 18, it is obvious how timid she becomes in her movements (but to a lesser extent than Candace). Jodie can really feel the music throughout her body, but sometimes that translates to her arms looking like chickens and her travelling being unbalanced. Next to Keo, Jodie needs to really sell herself as a dancer. I’m very curious to see how Jodie will improve this season because of all the tough competition she is against.

Marla Maples and Tony Dovolani
Argentine Tango: Don’t by Ed Sheeran
Judges’ Scores: 7, 6, 7 (20/30)
Julia’s Score: 7
Bentley’s Score: 7
#TeamMarTony 1(800)868-3407

Argentine Tango is another tough dance for Week 2, but I think it was a good fit for Marla. She did a good job of keeping up with Tony for the most part, though she did lose her footing a couple of time and her expression seemed a little flat. I would have enjoyed this routine more had Marla gotten into character a bit better, but she still did a very good job with the dance.

Surprisingly enough, I think that Marla had some of the most intense Latin heat of the night. When she was on the chair, she showed a side to her that I didn’t think we would see! She has beautiful lines, and executes them in a satisfyingly sharp fashion. Once again, she did stumble a bit with a few wobbles here and there, but she is on the right track! Tony sometimes creates, well, somber choreography for such dances with “older” (even though Marla’s not that much older!) partners, but I think he created an Argentine Tango that was perfect for Marla! The six from Len was a little low in my opinion, and in all actuality, I wouldn’t mind if one of the judges gave her an eight!

Geraldo Rivera and Edyta Śliwińska Eliminated (12th Place)
Salsa: Ran Kan Kan by Tito Puete
Judges’ Scores: 5, 4, 4 (13/30) Bottom of the Leaderboard
Julia’s Score: 2
Bentley’s Score: 2
#TeamGeraldEyta 1(800)868-3403

I guess this was more...entertaining than their dance from last week but that didn’t make up for the lack of content, technique, or even movement. Edyta mostly her own thing and Geraldo was just kind of there. I’ll do a “Thoughts On” post for this pair later this week, but I certainly think the right couple left tonight.

Oh, Geraldo. I know he had no feeling in his foot, so I won’t be too harsh. But, that was even worse than his premiere dance. Sure, I did like the whole Donald and Melania Trump thing, but was it really his place to do that on the show? I mean, I’m surprised production didn’t make Marla do a dance like that on week one! I find it ironic that the whole dance turned Mexican, because well, y’know. . . the whole Mexican wall thing. Geraldo had very little content to work with (but I really can’t blame Edyta for doing that), but even with the little amount of Salsa he did, he messed up. He completely skipped an entire section with underarm passes, and he was completely off time. But I guess the important thing is that Geraldo had fun. Although we all saw his elimination coming, it’s too bad Edyta was out right away, considering she’s been absent for years now. But, I guess it could be worse; she could have Keo’s luck for three seasons in a row!

Paige VanZant and Alan Bersten (subbing in for an injured Mark Ballas)
Salsa: Danza Kurduro by Don Omar featuring Lucenzo
Judges’ Scores: 8, 8, 8 (24/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Julia’s Score: 8
Bentley’s Score: 8
#PowRightInTheKisser 1(800)868-3410

This routine was such a knockout! Probably my favorite dance of the season thus far! Lots of Salsa content and so much fun! Paige was a little off-time at the beginning but she got her groove abck quickly and is a great performer and entertainer! I was sad Mark couldn’t perform tonight and will be even moreso if it turns out he has to sit out the rest of the season, but Alan did an awesome job filling in for him! I hope if Mark does have to rest Alan gets to be Paige’s new partner because they were great together tonight.

Paige is like a tougher and younger version of Nastia Liukin from season 20! Besides the whole partner switch-up thing, Paige is like Nastia because of the facts that she adapts well to whatever is thrown at her, and she nails whatever she does, no matter what the style. Of course, it is only week two, so my thoughts on that could all change. Props to Alan, though, for being able to learn that routine in only two hours! I hope Mark can perform next week! There was a strong connection between Paige and Alan, which made me consider this to be the best routine of the night! The lifts were on point, and her hips were out of this world! But, as I am noticing with most of the couples this season, Paige throws her arms away sometimes. This dance definitely had me ready to party, so that is a big sign that I felt the Latin heat in this performance!

Antonio Brown and Sharna Burgess
Rumba: Adorn by Miguel
Judges’ Scores: 6, 6, 7 (19/30)
Julia’s Score: 7
Bentley’s Score: 6
#TeamBOOMin 1(800)868-3401

Once again, I don’t really have that much to say about these two. Antonio did a good job with the routine he was given. He framed Sharna well and the two of them have great chemistry. The problem was that Sharna’s choreography had him just sort of sliding around the floor for most of the number. Apparently he isn’t putting a ton of effort in while practicing, and that could hurt them down the line. Like I said, it was well-executed on Antonio’s part, but I want to see a higher quantity and variety of content in Sharna’s choreography going forward.

Julia and I didn’t exactly agree about Antonio last week, but this week, I see what she means about his lack of connection with the audience. He does, of course, have a very strong connection with Sharna, but his delivery was a bit lackluster in the Rumba. I wanted to see a more steady and calmed-down version of this dance. There were not many moments where we could see extended lines flow from his core, which was what was missing the most from this performance. I can tell that Antonio will be able to master the technicality eventually, but he has to be able to feel his movements, and just let go.

Kim Fields and Sasha Farber
Salsa: Conga by Gloria Estefan
Judges’ Scores: 7, 6, 6 (19/30)
Julia’s Score: 7
Bentley’s Score: 6
#TeamKimsha 1(800)868-3406

I’m still really liking this couple and the fun energy they bring to the ballroom. I feel pretty much the same about this number as I did their Cha-Cha last week (which was part of the reason why I didn’t like that they had some couples do similar styles back-to-back for the first two weeks of the season). Good content and quite entertaining. Kim didn’t throw away her arms as much as last week, and was also more fluid in her movements in general. She also had a bit more power and “attack” which was good as well but she did mess up a little at the end which prevents me from giving her a higher score than last week. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Kim and Sasha, especially their tribute to The Facts of Life next week!

Kim genuinely looks like she is in the competition to both win it, and just have a good time. She seems to take dancing on the show seriously, but too seriously to the point where she can’t let loose and have a good laugh once in awhile. The stress did get to her this week, but I think she finally found her zen. A traditional and basic (to a certain extent) routine like this could come off as boring to people, but her personality made it a party! She has good rhythm, but now, as we approach week three, she needs to starts placing herself with less reliance on Sasha.

Nyle DiMarco and Peta Murgatroyd
Rumba: Stole the Show by Parson James
Judges’ Scores: 7, 6, 7 (20/30)
Julia’s Score: 7
Bentley’s Score: 7
#RedefiningDance 1(800)868-3409

There was a lot of hype surrounding Nyle after his stellar performance last week, and he managed to pull off another awesome dance! Nyle and Peta have great chemistry and this rumba had a lot of good content which I thought he executed very well. Unfortunately, there was a biiiiig lift, which is why I gave this a seven and not an eight, but I am still expecting him to get a ton of votes and wind up in the finals. I hope he has a Standard Ballroom dance soon because I am interested to see how he would do with that sort of dance in comparison to the Latin ones he has had thus far. He has a Tango next week, so I guess we will see then.

I hate to bash on people, but honestly, I feel as though Carrie Ann needs to think before she speaks. She called out Nyle for not feeling the tone of the music. The problem is. . . he can’t hear the music. This lift policewoman, along with the other judges, needs to stop coming up with random BS, or just exaggerating a slight issue, in order to criticize a good dancer. And if they have to say their misleading criticism, at least say something good about the routine. There was some good criticism given to Nyle, but everything seemed blown out of proportion. I do have to say, as Len said, this Rumba was way too frenetic. He did, unlike Antonio, have more pronounced and controlled lines, which almost forgives the rushed nature of this performance.

Mischa Barton and Artem Chigvintsev
Cha-Cha-Cha: Pata Pata by Miriam Makeba
Judges’ Scores: 5, 5, 5 (15/30)
Julia’s Score: 5
Bentley’s Score: 5
#TeamBlackVelvet 1(800)868-3408

I’d heard Mischa and Artem had a rough week going into last night’s dance, so I was pretty nervous for them, especially with the Cha-Cha as their dance. The style didn’t really seem to fit Mischa well, but at least she attempted to appear happy during the dance. The height difference between these two doesn’t help their difficulties, with Mischa being much taller than Artem when she is wearing heels. She struggled a lot with this dance and I think her time will be up next week, but I’m still hoping this pair manages to have a bit of a breakthrough before they are sent packing.

It was quite obvious that Mischa’s smile was forced...I want her to actually have fun! And when contestants actually have fun, like Kim, it makes the performance quality much better. One major problem I see from Mischa’s technicality, besides her poor timing, is how she places her feet. When she steps forward, she does not step hard enough; she has to put more pressure into her foot. The best parts of her dancing were her sections in hold with Artem since she is more aware of what she to do with Artem as a reference. I doubt this couple will make it past week three, but maybe she will be able to show a more carefree side to herself before her time is up.

Also all I could think about when that song was playing was this video (NSFW WARNING!) 

OMG XD

Von Miller and Witney Carson
Cha-Cha-Cha: Ain’t Too Cool by LunchMoney Lewis
Judges’ Scores: 7, 6, 7 (20/30)
Julia’s Score: 6
Bentley’s Score: 7
#TeamBlondeMiller 1(800)868-3411

I’m liking the playful dynamic between Von and Witney, but like Antonio, I’m starting to worry about the amount effort he is putting into rehearsals. The dance was okay but there didn’t seem to be a lot of Cha-Cha content in there and a lot of his movements were timid. This couple needs to find a way to stand out, and soon, or else they could be eliminated earlier than expected.

The random Hip Hop moments in this Cha-Cha-Cha are a whole lot like what Von’s Foxtrot had last week. For week one, I would let that slide because of everyone being first introduced to the dances, and the audience getting to know some different personalities. But by now, I want to see more Latin content in a Latin dance. The setup was vibrant, and Tom’s small part was a nice touch, but I want to see more basic dancing. I can tell that Von can pick up the steps easily, but there needs to be more of them as well as more precision when executing them. Hopefully Most Memorable Year night will bring out more than just a fun-loving, humorous character. I want to see his dedication and full potential in the competition; Witney needs to bring that out of him.

Wanyá Morris and Lindsay Arnold
Salsa: Echa Pa’lla by Pitbull
Judges’ Scores: 8, 8, 8 (24/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Julia’s Score: 8
Bentley’s Score: 8
#TeamYayZee 1(800)868-3412

Another great dance from Wanyá, which was kind of expected after nailing the Cha-Cha last week! I like that Lindsay didn’t hold back on the choreography and Salsa content while also avoiding making it a “kitchen sink” routine. This couple is a lot of fun and I stand by my prediction that we will be seeing them in the finals this season! However, I am still wondering how Wanyá will fare with a Standard Ballroom dance, but we will all get to find out next week when he and Lindsay perform a Waltz!

Y’know how I said I wanted to see more hip movement from Wanyá in the Latin dances? Well, Wanyá not only improved on his hips, he fully delivered with some of the loosest hips of the night! Lindsay made another perfect routine for Wanyá, using an intelligent mix of Salsa content, party flair, and tricks galore! Nothing overshadowed his dance ability! Despite it looking like Wanyá was wearing pajamas, I loved every aspect to this routine! There were just a miniscule amount of things that he could have made look bigger at certain moments, such as his arm placements and steps, but besides that, every moment in this Salsa was practically flawless!

Doug Flutie and Karina Smirnoff
Paso Doble: Buster Voodoo by Rodrigo y Gabriela
Judges’ Scores: 7, 6, 7 (20/30)
Julia’s Score: 7
Bentley’s Score: 7
#TeamKutie 1(800)868-3402

Doug certainly gets the “Most Improved” award this week! He had such power and “attack” in this Paso Doble, and I loved Karina’s choreography. Also worth noting that, personality wise, he is standing out to me much more than either of the other football players on this season. I really enjoyed this routine and I think between Doug’s huge improvement and good spot in the running order he may pick up more votes this week!

The video package that played for Doug was very nice to see. It is always great to watch a kind and family-oriented individual such as Doug have a good time on this show! He was in impeccable sync with Karina, which was quite a shock after seeing his Foxtrot from last week. He definitely had the essence of a bull, even though he could stand back a little more as well as work on his feet. Overall, the performance value Doug had was the best surprise of the night!

Ginger Zee and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Samba: Sorry by Justin Bieber
Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Julia’s Score: 7
Bentley’s Score: 7
#TeamGinAndJuice 1(800)868-3404

This couple is frustrating me. I’ve already talked about the whole travel and baby thing, but now it’s more than that. We know Ginger is a good dancer who can handle tough steps. We know Val is a good choreographer who generally produces dances with a lot of moves that are recognizable to the style his team has. So why are we seeing them deliver routines without a lot of dance content? I liked that this one had a story to it, but if the dance itself isn’t conveying that story there really is no point to include one. They did a skit at the beginning and pose at the end that didn’t relate to the actual routine at all. And the dancing portion itself was so short! I literally said “Is that it?” When it was over. I’m not upset because the routines are BAD, I’m upset because Val isn’t allowing Ginger to really SHINE! I really did like the parts with actual Samba though, and Ginger shows great confidence in her movements. If the rest of the dance was like that I would have given it an eight.

Loved the set. Loved the costumes. Loved the passion. Disliked the dilly-dallying. In week one, I saw a lot of actual dancing without too much fussing about, but Latin night was a complete turn around. Like Len, I want to see more dancing! I was agreeing with Len a lot Monday night, even with his grumpy remarks! At times, I thought this Samba was a Salsa, but the recognizable Samba content came in later. People, including Julia, are blaming Val’s choreography for not letting Ginger shine, but I have to disagree. I actually found the little Samba content in this dance to be executed well. The thing that I think is making Ginger seem a tad bit lackluster is her execution of her lines. In my unpopular opinion, I think Ginger goes from high energy move, to blank pause over and over again. I want to see full hard-hitting moves and attitude from beginning to end, and not just when she sticks her arm out to the side. I have a feeling that Ginger will be able to slay her future Latin dances, though, considering she seems less timid from last week, and it looks like she is only improving from week one! I don’t think Val is holding back Ginger in any way, but I guess he isn’t exactly helping her either. I don’t know. . . I’m conflicted!

Julia’s Rankings of the Latin Night Performances:
1. Paige & Alan (choreography and instruction by Mark Ballas)
2. Wanyá & Lindsay
3. Jodie & Keo
4. Nyle & Peta
5. Ginger & Val
6. Doug & Karina
7. Kim & Sasha
8. Marla & Tony
9. Antonio & Sharna
10. Von & Witney
11. Mischa & Artem
12. Geraldo & Edyta

Bentley’s Rankings of the Latin Night Performances:
1. Paige & Alan (choreography and instruction by Mark Ballas)
2. Wanyá & Lindsay
3. Jodie & Keo
4. Nyle & Peta
5. Ginger & Val
6. Marla & Tony
7. Von & Witney
8. Doug & Karina
9. Kim & Sasha
10. Antonio & Sharna
11. Mischa & Artem
12. Geraldo & Edyta


Some other observations we had Monday night:

-Although it was simple, I found myself to really love the choreography of the opening number by Mandy Moore. It showed off all of the sexy professional dancers without being overly raunchy.

-Are we still doing this whole commercial break mini segment in the middle of the commercials. It doesn’t make any sense to me why the show has it. It doesn’t do anything. . . at all.

-Did I hear Tom right? Were the bottom three for elimination actually in the bottom three for once? Usually production puts in a “shocking” bottom couple to add in suspense, even though they aren’t even close to the bottom. I guessed that Mischa, Doug, and Geraldo would be in the real final three, so I guess that one of my predictions actually came true for once.

- If they don’t do an ACTUAL Bottom 2 or 3 next week I expect Jodie to be “in jeopardy” so we can get a big reaction from Keo when he beats his DWTS placement record. :P

-Next week is Most Memorable Year Night. Bring on the Contemporary! That theme usually brings out the characters of the celebrities a little more, allowing us to connect to them more, so I am excited to see my opinions change in the following weeks!

- There will probably be a lot of Contemporary and/or Rumba routines next week. I am also hoping to see some more Standard Ballroom styles, and so far, all the confirmed dance styles for Week 3 fall under this category. :)

- I’d really like to see next week’s dances be performed chronologically in terms of the years the contestants choose. Then again, the people I imagine are most likely to pick the most recent years are the two that have already gone last, so maybe not. :P

- Speaking of running order, the order the couples danced this week was way too similar to last week. With the exception of Antonio and Doug, the same people who danced in the first hour last week did so again and same with the second hour. Please mix it up a bit more, producers!

-I’m loving the troupe (Jenna, Hailey, Alan, Dennis, Shannon, and Kiril) this season! I’m looking forward to seeing them in more of a spotlight later on in the season, because these dancers are fierce!

- I think Mischa might drop out of the competition this week which would make me sad, mostly because I worry the producers would still have an elimination Monday night and I’m not ready to see anyone else leave yet!

-Although Mischa does not seem like she completely wanted to be on the show to begin with (at least that’s what it looks like), I do worry about her. She seems very sensitive, and considering she just got out of rehab not too long ago, that could be dangerous. In the nicest words I can find, I find Mischa’s sensitivity and lack of professional stage presence to be quite odd, considering she is an actress. Whatever is going on with her right now, I hope she doesn’t go over the deep end.

- I almost forgot we have another potential drop-out...all I can say is if it turns out Mark can’t continue dancing with Paige I’m really gonna need Wanyá and Kim to stick around in the game for awhile so I can see more of Lindsay and Sasha on my TV...so many of the “nicer” pros like Derek, Emma, and Allison are gone this season, and I don’t want to lose any more of them!







What did you think of Latin Night on DWTS? What was your favorite dance of the night? What did you think of Geraldo and Edyta’s elimination? Do you think Mark will be able to dance next week? Who do you think will be eliminated next week?

Next week is Most Memorable Year Night on Dancing With the Stars!


Follow Julia on Twitter at @juliadelbel, and follow the DWTS 2016 Blog (run by Bentley) on Twitter at @DWTS2016 for more about Dancing With the Stars!


#DWTS #DWTS22

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the blog guys. We have pretty much similar views on most of the couples. Look forward to next weeks blog !

    ReplyDelete