Monday, July 25, 2016

DWTS Seasons 20-22: Lasting Impressions [Paul Bentley]

As some of my older Twitter friends know, I have been blogging about Dancing With the Stars since season 20, and am continuing to do so with some other watchers of the show into season 23. Every season, I give my thoughts on the cast of each season, which I will do for season 22 in this post, but I will also give updates on my thoughts of the celebrities from seasons 20 and 21.

Why am I doing this? Well, ever since I connected with a bunch of other DWTS fans like you all on social media, expanding my thoughts and becoming more informed, I realized that I don't have to agree with everyone on everything, and I am able to give my honest thoughts, whether other people agree or not. One thing I have learned from you guys is that we are all (mostly) able to have our own thoughts, even if other people think they are outrageous or made without proper information. For seasons 20 and 21, I tried to be as agreeable as possible, even if that meant keeping some of my opinions to myself. . . I don't want to do that anymore. Plus, my opinions have changed over time. And that's how it is. It's a lot like politics.

So, whether you think my opinions are out of line or not, here are my thoughts on the season 20 celebrities.

  • 12th- Redfoo Redfoo was the kind of crazy energy that I love to see on the show. Not only that, but he seemed like a genuinely good guy, and really wanted to stay in the competition. I would have loved to see him further in the competition, especially because everyone else, including Charlotte and Chris, somehow lasted longer than him. I have always liked Redfoo, and DWTS made me like him even more. I still listen to his song Juicy Wiggle, but besides that, I don't really know what he is up to anymore.
  • 11th- Charlotte McKinney Look, I'm all for non-celebrities being the show, but when you put a woman who clearly doesn't care about the show and is only semi-known for her blonde hair and big boobs because of a burger commercial, I become bummed, because there are so many people who aren't famous that would absolutely love the opportunity to be on the show (and if you are reading this, you are probably one of them). I think some of her hate was unjustified, but at the end of the day, I think the only good things that came from her being on the show were #LeftCrab and her hilarious bloopers in the finale. I have no clue what she's doing with her life now, but I doubt she is getting anymore big gigs.
  • 10th- Michael Sam Wow, Michael's story really got to me. The fact that his brother was killed, and later his father diowned him is really sad. I'm glad he got so much support from DWTS fans, because he really has been through a lot. I know that ever since DWTS ended, he had some more struggles with himself and others, but now it looks like he is back on his feet. I'm glad about that!
  • 9th- Suzanne Somers Yeah, Suzanne was funny and all, but she was so self-absorbed. She truly thought she was the most popular celebrity on that show, but clearly, that wasn't the case. It also bothers me that she always advocates embracing old age, yet you can clearly tell that her face has tons of work done. I don't know. She's not a terrible person, but she is very into herslef.
  • 8th- Patti LaBelle MRS. PATTI LABELLE SLAYS! I freakin' love Patti! She was so down-to-earth and funny, that even though she wasn't the best dancer, I will still upset to see her eliminated. She's seems like such a lovely person, and it shows through everything she does.
  • 7th- Willow Shields As I keep reminding on Twitter, I am still not over Willow's elimination! She was so close to winning immunity, but when the chips fell, it was her turn to go. I felt exremely sad for her when she got the boot because she had good scores when it came to dancing, so she knew that the reason why she left was simply beacuse she wan't getting enough votes. And for a 14-year-old girl, that can be tough. She was very mature for her age, and is always very nice and respectable on social media. Good for her!
  • 6th- Robert Herjavec This is another really nice guy who had such a sad story. I usually don't like really rich people, but Robert grew up poor, made his own money through hard work, appreciated every penny he got, and stayed humble along the way. I like to see people make use of their wealth and fame, and Robert does exactly that. He and Kym were the perfect pair, and I am so happy that they are getting married soon!
  •  5th- Chris Soules I honestly cannot comprehend why people kept voting for this guy to keep continuing through the competition. First of all, even though he seems like a nice guy, he came off as having no personality. Also, he just boring to watch on the dance floor, especially because Witney carried him through the dances every time. I know a lot of people say that the only reason Chris got poor scores was because he couldn't keep up with Witney's difficult choreography, but I beg to differ. Witney's choreography was perfectly suitable for a beginner, but Chris just couldn't keep up. It wasn't his fault, though. He just wasn't as good as the majority of the season 20 cast. I waited for him to be eliminated since week 3. Now, Chris is no longer engaged to his ex-fiancé Whitney, which is no shock because relationships from reality TV rarely ever last. But also, if I were Whitney, I would be so confused from his crying in week four about breaking up with his EX-GIRLFRIEND. If you have a brand new fiancé, why would you be crying about a previous breakup? Everything about that seems very weird.
  • 4th- Nastia Liukin I had never heard of Nastia before DWTS, but just because she isn't a very popular gymnast, does not mean she couldn't dance! I like Nastia, but like Chris (but to a lesser extent), she didn't seem to have much of a personality shown on the show. Her dancing was good, and she handled everything that happened to her like a champ, but in my personal unpopular opinion, she was the right choice to go during the semifinals. She just didn't deliver like the other finalists did. But besides that, she was super entertaining to watch on the show!
  • 3rd- Noah Galloway Noah will forever be one of the most memorable contestants of DWTS in my book. And speaking of books, and I definitely buying his new book coming out August 23! I am always pro-military, but Noah was more than that. Noah was also a phenomenal dancer, sweet person, selfless soul, and kind spirit. I have been following everything that Noah has been doing since the show, which includes his fantastic run on American Grit. And for you people who said that he shouldn't have made the finals, you try dancing with only half of your limbs, get votes as a non-celebrity, and be able to get out of the depression he went to in order to inspire people around the world. That, my fellow DWTS fans, is what a winner sounds like to me.
  • 2nd- Riker Lynch Riker is such a natural mover! I never knew until DWTS that R5 had such a massive and passionate audience, which I'm glad they have, because Riker hit it out of the park! I knew Noah wouldn't win the show, so I rooted fro Riker to win the season. Sure, Rumer also deserved to win, but Riker seemed more dynamic and energetic on the dance floor. Riker really made Allison shine after the mess of a season she had with Jonathan, and Allison also made Riker shine throughout the process. This was the perfect couple!
  • 1st- Rumer Willis Don't get me wrong. Rumer was practically flawless in every dance she performed with Val, but it did tend to get a bit repetitive as the weeks went by. I am glad, though, that she was able to stand up to the bullies, and show that not everyone has to look like a typical blonde burger girl, because natural beauty and inner beauty is what really matters. Rumer was and is a beautiful person (especially when they don't give her awful makeup and outfits, like for her Jazz routine), and she was able to use that instead of the sympathy card to make it to the end!
And, of course, here are my thoughts on the season 21 contestants.
  • 13th- Chaka Khan I thought I liked Chaka Khan, but she turned out to be a total diva. Not only did she think that she was all that and a bag of chips, and she also blamed the producers of DWTS for her atrocious dancing and work ethic. Chaka is now in rehab for drugs, which I wish her the best with. But overall, I'm glad she was out first. I was just bummed for Keo because all of his partners failed him. . . until season 22!
  • 12th- Victor Espinoza How could you not love the hilarious Victor Espinoza?! He was so much fun in his dances, even though they little content in them. But hey, he had a good run and a positive attitude, so what more could I ask for from him? Plus, he follows the DWTS 2016 Social Square on Twitter, so that makes me like him even more!
  • 11th- Kim Zolziak- Biermann One thing I didn't appreciate about Kim was not her bad dancing, but her attitude. I could be wrong in saying this, but DWTS really made her look unprofessional and like a quitter. I still do not know whether she was truthful about her semi-stroke or not, because she was threatening to quit, and that seems like an easy out of the show, but once again, I hope I'm wrong (not that I want any damage to her health, I just don't think people should lie about that kind of stuff). Personally, I do think that it is likely she had a stroke, but who knows? Her timing couldn't have been any better. But after the show, I got even more annoyed with her because of all of her snobby comments and stupid things she did. But I won't get into that.
  • 10th- Gary Busey A lot people didn't like Gary, but I appreciated his humor. Poor Anna. . . I give Gary a pass, though, because he has been through a lot, and he did have a real head injury way back when. Gary is fun, though. I don't understand all of the hate he got.
  • 9th- Paula Deen Being on DWTS really let her redeem herself in the public eye. I personally think Paula is hilarious, but clearly other people think otherwise. On a random note, have you ever seen how much butter this woman puts into her recipes? A LOT. Anyway, I just love Paula Deen as a person, and a meme. If you look up "Paula Deen riding things" on Google, you will not be disappointed. Those pictures are hilarious! Butter on!
  • 8th- Hayes Grier For me, Hayes was just there. I didn't hate him, I didn't love him; he didn't really make a lasting impression on me. I do remember him looking like Aberham Lincoln on Halloween Night, though. Oh, good times. One thing I do have to say is that Hayes is so much better than his older brother Nash. Hayes just seems to be more humble and put together than him. And besides, Hayes was a very young contestant, so he can get away with more than his brother, who was obviously very jealous of his brother's claim to fame.
  • 7th- Andy Grammer I LOVE ANDY. Andy seems like the kind of guy who would help you with whatever, wven if he had a bigger problem in his life. I love the fact that he took major tragedies in his life, and turned them into something uplifting. And that's the word I would use to describe him: uplifting.
  • 6th- Alexa PenaVega Although Alexa was just a little too much in my opinion when it came to drama, I didn't dislike her. She took everything really well, and still does to this day. I have nothing bad to say about her, but I don't really have anything about her that stands out in my mind.
  • 5th- Tamar Braxton Alright, when the season was going, I loved Tamar's sass, which I still kinda do, and I felt bad for her with both her and her husband's medical emergencies. But, since doing DWTS, she has been fired from The Real (apparently because she caused problems), and she is divorcing her husband because she had an affair with him. Ouch. I mean, I like Tamar's attitude in life, but some of her actions are no bueno. She needs to stay away from reality TV.
  • 4th- Carlos PenaVega I'm going to say it-- Witney's choreogrpahy was not up to par in season 21. And I think Carlos had to pay for it. I'm not saying that Carlos was my favorite contestant on the show, but I do think he could have had a shot at second or third place if he had a different partner. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Witney has shown herself as a drama queen and (dare I say) stuck up in past seasons, but it was especially bad in season 21. I think she has cleaned up her act, though, because she has learned that that kind of attitude does not help in this type of competition. Carlos, though, was able to work with her the best he could, and still managed to make the girls swoon.
  • 3rd- Alek Skarlatos Alek did seem to lose his head at one point, but he was able to pick himself back up. Once again, I always root for American heroes, so Alek is not an exception. He impressed me as a dancer, and Lindsay impressed me as well as a partner. Alek has his own stong opinions on various topics, but we all do. . . he just chooses to be more vocal about his. I have to respect that.
  • 2nd- Nick Carter Nick! Amazing dancer! I have to give props to both he and Sharna for creating some incredible and truly original performances during their run. Nick seems like a really genuine person, even if DWTS might have pushed that to the audience over and over again. Nonetheless, he deserved all the success he received on the show.
  • 1st- Bindi Irwin It's so weird. One day I looked up Bindi Irwin to see what she has been doing in her life, and the next week, she becomes a contestant on DWTS. I was actually happily surprised that she became a member of the show. She is the most compassionate and loving contestant I have ever seen on the show, and not to mention one of the best dancers I've seen on the show, so there was not a single doubt in my mind that she would win the show! And I really appreciate and admire the fact that she donated all of her money from the show to animals. It really shows that she truly is an inspirational human being, and that it's not all just an act.
Now that I made some controversial remarks, here are my thoughts on the couples of season 22 of Dancing With the Stars.
  • 12th- Geraldo Rivera and Edyta Śliwińska (Favorite Dance: Cha-Cha-Cha) Geraldo is very entertaining, so I think it was good for Edyta to just say what the heck, and just go crazy with their routines. Geraldo is probably a half of a notch better than P. Miller at dancing, which ultimately means he was the second worst dancer to ever be on the show. But that's okay. Geraldo knew he was bad, and had as much fun as he could have anyway. Geraldo is a controversial figure, but there is no denying that he just wants to have fun, and be able to laugh at things that most others wouldn't. And was it just me, or was Edyta strangely quite this season? I guess she knew what was coming for her. . .
  • 11th- Mischa Barton and Artem Chigvintsev (Favorite Dance: Tango) This woman truly seemed like she was being forced against her will to dance. It seems like she was on an "I hate everything" mode when on the show, and when she was eliminated, she finally became a happy person again. I mean, did you see her in the audience after her elimination? I never saw a smile like that from her on the dance floor! Poor Artem had to deal with all of the criticism surrounding both he are Mischa this season, but at least they seem like actual friends. I think doing DWTS was a bad idea for Mischa because, even though she is arguably already weird (which is not necessarily a bad thing) in everyday life, the show was just too crazy for her.
  • 10th- Marla Maples and Tony Dovolani (Favorite Dance: Quickstep) I absolutely adore Miss Marla Maples! She is so sweet. She just wanted to have a fun time on the show, and didn't try to use a literal Trump card to make it far (props to her for that). Marla is actually a really good dancer, so I was disappointed to see her leave the show. Tony really saw potential in her, which is probably why he was so shocked that they were eliminated so early in the season. Marla knew she could never compete with some of the other contestants, though, so she took her elimination like a champ.
  • 9th- Doug Flutie and Karina Smirnoff (Favorite Dance: Paso Doble) Doug reminded me a lot of Robert Herjavec with his heartbreaking story, ability to entertain, and lack of technique (although Robert did have a lot of good technique when it came to the ballroom dances). Doug is a true family man, and clearly cares more about them than anything else in the world. Karina was a good support system along the way, structuring every dance to fit them to his capabilites and strengths. Doug tried his best, so that's all I could ask for.
  • 7th- Kim Fields and Sasha Farber (Favorite Dance: Jive) All hail queen Kim! Kim is the kind of person you would always want around, always being positive and happy through everything that is thrown at her. Sasha was the absolute best partner she could get, which also proved that Sasha is an incredible choreographer, and should return to the show next season. Not only did those two have an amazing chemistry, but the routines they had were the perfect blend of content, following the rules, and entertainment. Kim really impressed me. . . I didn't expect her to be so good!
  • 7th- Von Miller and Witney Carson (Favorite Dance: Viennese Waltz) Von is so silly. He makes me laugh. Apparently Von just got a $70 million contract deal, so congratulations to him for that! But for his performance on DWTS, Von did okay, but I know he could have tried harder. Witney actually did well with him this season, especially because I think she is good at making her partners work hard. Von left at the right time, though, because the competition was very tight this season, and it just seemed liked the final six wanted the experience more than him. Von seems like a cool person, but he wasn't exactly finale material.
  • 6th- Jodie Sweetin and Keoikantse Motsepe (Top 3 Dances: Jive, Contemporary, Samba) I was so glad that Keo was finally able to show what he had to offer to America by lasting longer with Jodie than ever before! Keo's Latin dances are superb, even though his ballroom dances might need some revision. I could tell that Jodie was dead set in competition mode, which I can really appreciate due to the fact that some celebrities go on the show just for money and exposure. But Jodie wanted to have a fun experience while also entertaining the audience. She left on a high note, and was able to show the world that she is no longer the party animal and poor role model that she once was.
  • 4th- Antonio Brown and Sharna Burgess (Top 3 Dances: Contemporary, Jive, Foxtrot) At first, Antonio seemed to not really put effort in his work, but by the halfpoint of the competition, he kicked it into high gear. Antonio was truly the dark horse of the season, since at first he was not very consistent with his high scores, but towards the end, he had some stunning routines. I especially loved his Contemporary! Sharna's choreography for him was captivating, and created a timeless Foxtrot piece that I will always remember.
  • 4th- Wanyá Morris and Lindsay Arnold (Top 3 Dances: Charleston, Samba, Waltz) Wanyá gave all he got, and created spectacular performances in doing so. Lindsay gave him very unique and difficult choreography, and Wanyá was able to professional execute anything that she threw at him. I personally would have liked to see him in the finals, but apparently not everybody felt that way. I'm glad he left with two perfect scores, though, just so he knows that he in fact is a phenomenal performer.
  • 3rd- Ginger Zee and Valentin Chmerkovskiy (Top 3 Dances: Argentine Tango, Foxtrot, Finale Contemporary) Ginger got a lot of hate last season for being favored by ABC. Although it was very obvious that the network was pushing for her to win, she had nothing to do with it. I thought Ginger really nailed her performances, even though they were not as technical ad Paige's and Nyle's dances. But that's okay. Val's choreography was up and down throughout the season, but overall, he made Ginger shine. This might not have been the best pair on the season, but they were good sports and ignored all of the hateful criticism.
  • 2nd- Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas (Top 3 Dances: Samba, Finale Salsa, Jive) Choosing my three favorite dances from Paige and Mark was next to impossible. I was literally debating between nine different dances for which ones would be in my top three. And I bet that when I post this, that top three will change. Paige was something special to the show. She was more than just a performer- she was a sweet human being who poured out her heart and soul into everything she did. And don't think I forgot about good ol' Mark! Mark is just astonishing. He makes people who wouldn't even look at a dance routine fall in love with dancing! Mark is consistently doing the best for his partners, and making it so there is something fresh and new every single week. And I love the fact that Paige showed her haters who's boss!
  • 1st- Nyle DiMarco and Peta Murgatroyd (Top 3 Dances: Cha-Cha-Cha, Freestyle, Tango) I'm glad that Nyle won, even though I was slightly leaning towards Paige to win. He had the hardest journey on DWTS, but he proved to be one of the hardest working and most musically inclined contestants of the season! There was something magical about Nyle and Peta on the dance floor together. The two of them create stories that words cannot describe. Nyle winning season 22 shows that disabilities are just capabilities that require a little more effort.




So what did you think of the season 22 cast of Dancing With the Stars? What do you think of my thoughts on the celebrities from seasons 20 and 21?

Also, check out Julia Delbel's "Thoughts On" posts about the season 22 celebrities for her in-depth views about each couple!


Make sure to follow me, Paul Bentley, on Twitter at @TheBentleyNinja, and follow the DWTS 2016 Social Square at @DWTS2016 for more about DWTS! And stay tuned to our blog for season 23 for our weekly reviews of the performances!

No comments:

Post a Comment