Friday, October 21, 2016

Dancing With the Stars Season 23- Week 6 (Latin Night) Review [Bentley, Fangirl, Julia]

Latin Night on Dancing With the Stars was fiery as always! And with Pitbull as a guest judge, you never know what could happen!


Even though Katie Henry and Angelina Mikheeva aren’t blogging about the saucy night this week, Julia Delbel, Paul Bentley, and Fangirl have lots to say! So here are our thoughts!


[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Pitbull, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli]






Ryan Lochte and Cheryl Burke
Salsa: La Negra Tiene Tumbao by Celia Cruz
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 8, 8, 7 (30/40)
#TeamCherloch 1(800)868-3411


Paul Bentley: While this dance wasn’t the most technical and it sure was a bit rough at points, it was still tons of fun. The section where Ryan and Cheryl were glowing in the dark while Ryan was practically naked was a bit silly, but it was something interesting to see. Ryan has definitely become more loose since his Cha-Cha-Cha, but he still looks uncomfortable and sloppy. His feet really needs tremendous work as well. But hey, this a Ryan that we haven’t seen yet, so more power to him for that!
Bentley’s Score: 7


Fangirl: Ryan is a key example of how practice makes perfect. Slowly but surely Ryan is improving on his frame and technique. I say this every week but he really needs to work on his shoulders being down. One simple mess up in his frame can change a lot of his technique. Overall this was a very fun dance filled with an abundance of energy!
Fangirl’s Score: 7


Julia: This dance was a lot of fun and I loved the creativity of it. I’m seeing improvement from Ryan but of course there is still room for growth. He was great in portions of this but awkward in others. Looking forward to see Ryan get even better as the season continues!
Julia’s Score: 7






Terra Jolé and Sasha Farber
Paso Doble: Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood by Santa Esmeralda
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 8, 8, 7 (30/40)
#TeamXL 1(800)868-3412


Fangirl: Throughout the competition, Terra has been delivering incredible performances performing she is a contender. This week I was little disappointed. I felt like Terra was trying to keep up with Sasha and she was lacking intensity. I wanted more drive and passion from her. Although this performance was a tiny setback I have all the faith in the world that Terra will pull of an incredible routine for Era’s Night next week!
Fangirl’s Score: 7


Paul Bentley: In certain ways, I look at the score, and I think that Terra was judged fair. But in other ways, I think that the sevens were unnecessary. I was disappointed to see Terra not truly immersed into the bull-like character because from watching Little Women: LA, I know that she is able to stand her ground in a fierce way; this Paso Doble was missing that. I think because of that, there was also a lack of refinement in her feet. I think Terra’s arms were just fine as well as her posture, but her feet were not refined enough at all. I know that there is a lot of speculation about Terra and Sasha going home soon, but I don’t think dances like this will cut her time short. I believe she can make it to the end!
Bentley’s Score: 8


Julia: This was actually one of Terra’s better technical dances, but she didn’t show much intensity which is key in the Paso Doble which made it lose a lot of it’s intended effect. I did love hearing her sing after getting her scores, though!
Julia’s Score: 8






Amber Rose and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Eliminated- 9th
Cha-Cha-Cha: Bla Bla Bla Cha Cha Cha by Petty Booka
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28/40) Lowest Score of the Night
#TeamSpicySalsa 1(800)868-3401


Fangirl: I was very disappointed in Maks’s choreography this week. I feel like the booty stuff was not necessary and he was holding her back. She proved last week she was capable of at least doing some steps like GIVE HER a full blown content packed cha cha please. (Disclaimer: I am a HUGE Maks fan so this was very hard to write). Amber needs to work on her fluidity of her movements. A dance is not just a whole bunch of steps it is a continuous step of movements. Anyways I am so sad that Amber left this week and hope she had an incredible experience on the show!
Fangirl’s Score : 7


Julia: This was probably Amber’s second-best dance of the season but she still seemed a little timid. I wish she would have really gone for it because even if she massively failed I think more people may have gotten behind her for the effort. But I am grateful for her coming on the show and demonstrating that people can and do have many different sides-Amber may be confident and sexy in some situations, but in others, like on DWTS, she was nervous, and that’s okay too. (Also, at the time I’m writing this it’s her birthday, so happy birthday Amber!)
Julia’s Score: 7


Paul Bentley: This Cha-Cha-Cha gave me a little bit of déjà vu because I feel like I have more or less seen this from Amber and Maks before. This seemed like a repeat of Cirque Night with some elements of their Salsa thrown into it. Amber had intense Latin heat, as she usually does, but I wanted more. Amber was not letting loose in this dance, which is something that I noticed in her Samba last week. At least she was more connected with Maks as a partner this week, which I have been waiting for all season. It’s not a shock that Amber’s time is over on this season, but she definitely showed us all how own voluptuous curves!
Bentley’s Score: 7






James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess
Rumba: Need the Sun to Break by James Bay
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 9, 9, 10 (38/40)
#TeamStopAndGo 1(800)868-3405


Paul Bentley: One way I like to judge Rumbas is based off of how the music is interpreted. From the slowest ballad to the most funky song, I feel as though energy should be translated through the art of movement, even if it is not present in the song. The song James and Sharna danced to did have some energy in itself, but they took it to a whole other level. James was delicate, but powerful. Fast, but well-paced. Sensual, but lyrical. He was center-stage, but he still danced as a partner. James and Sharna tasted the dance. They owned it. They were true performers.
Bentley’s Score: 10


Fangirl: I absolutely loved this routine. For me, the rumba is all about the dynamic changes of the slow rumba walks to  the rapid turns. James beautifully displayed that balance. James’s technique was astounding. He had great extensions, hip movements, rumba walks, and his shoulders were down. James needs to work on being more connected with Sharna and showing chemistry during some parts of the routine.
Fangirl’s Score: 10


Julia: Rumba is generally one of the most difficult dances for men to master, so I was very impressed at how James managed to nail the technique of this dance! His hip movements in particular were very impressive given his injury we heard about last week. And I’m thinking more and more that James and Sharna have a very good chance at winning this whole season.
Julia’s Score: 10






Marliu Henner and Derek Hough
Cha-Cha-Cha: Echa pa’lante by Thalía
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 9, 9, 8 (34/40)
#TeamHennergy 1(800)868-3408


Fangirl: This dance was packed with full on cha-cha-cha technique and Marliu executed it beautifully.  She did not miss a step and kept up the energy the whole time. I have said this before and will say it again want to see MORE hip action. I know Marliu has the potential to be great. Derek just has to unlock it from her.  
Fangirl’s Score: 9


Julia: I was thinking Marilu might struggle in this kind of Latin dance but she did very well! In fact, this was my favorite routine of hers yet! She had great energy and technique, but I would have liked to see her move her hips more.
Julia’s Score: 9


Paul Bentley: Marilu is a completely different dancer from what she was early on in the season. . . and she looks good doing it, too! I am impressed once again from this couple, especially with how Marilu wasn’t exactly the best with the Latin dances so far this season. Marilu has mastered the footwork of the Cha-Cha-Cha, and has even brought some spunky personality to go along with it! The only mistakes I saw were with her arms at certain points, which could have been overlooked very easily. Derek does not go easy on Marilu, yet Marilu still delivers to the best of her capabilities!
Bentley’s Score: 9






Jana Kramer and Gleb Savchenko
Argentine Tango: Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40) Highest Score of the Night
#TeamGlamer 1(800)868-3406


Paul Bentley: This dance was one glittery dress and white collar shirt away from being a rated R movie, and that’s just what I want to see on Latin Night! I know that DWTS is a family show, but I think this dance was just ambiguous enough for the younger viewing audience. Jana was completely dominant in this Argentine Tango, and practically made love to the dance style. The shower part at the end was surprising very refined as well, and made it the perfect end to the dance. Jana has made the biggest improvement of the season so far this season, and she just keeps getting better! I think Jana and Gleb peaked at the right time because it looks like they are getting a needed surge of votes from the viewers. Jana was sharp, in character, and smooth!
Bentley’s Score: 10


Fangirl’s: YASS JANA. Hot hot hot. Out of all the Dancing with the Stars seasons I have watched this was by far the best tango I have seen. She had great extensions, great dynamic pacing, and incredible flexibility for being a non-dancer.   Her feet were fully extended and pointed throughout the whole routine besides the very beginning. I was very impressed by this dance.
Fangirl's Score: 10


Julia: I’m glad Jana finally got to have her moment in the spotlight this season! I’m also glad Gleb finally got to perform that routine since I’ve heard he’s wanted to do it for awhile. I thought Jana did a great job with both the technique and performance of the dance, though I did notice a couple of issues with her feet here and there (point those toes!). I was starting to think Jana and Gleb might be eliminated soon, but if they keep this level of performance up they could very well earn a spot in the Finals!
Julia’s Score: 9




Maureen McCormick and Artem Chigvintsev
Samba: Mas que Nada by Sérgio Mendes featuring The Black Eyed Peas
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 7, 8, 8 (31/40)
#TeamMaureen 1(800)868-3409


Fangirl: I was very impressed with Maureen’s major improvement this week.Artem packed this routine with technique and at first I was a little worried if she was going to keep up but she got all the steps and pacing down.  She needs to work on her hip movements but overall great job Maureen!
Fangirl’s Score: 8


Julia: Maureen did better than I expected with this Samba, but she got most of the technique down pretty well. She didn’t really “act” the dance all that well though, as she looked pretty nervous throughout it. There were also some portions, particularly at the beginning, where she was lost and I was scared the dance was going to fall apart, but she managed to pull it together to finish relatively strong.
Julia’s Score: 7


Paul Bentley: Although Maureen and Artem seemed to have some more issues in rehearsals, they managed to not bring that drama to the dance floor this time around. Latin dances seem to come natural to Maureen, but this one was a bit weak compared to her other ones. Maureen is still not my favorite contestant by any means, but I appreciate that she is starting to feel out her placement on the show, and working with the assets that she has. Her Samba was okay in respect to being smooth for most of the dance and stepping to the beat in a pronounced way. She kept throwing her arms away, and it looked like her knees would not unbend much at all during the dance, which really affected how it looked on screen. I think this couple is in a lot of trouble for the next elimination, but at least Maureen could say that she left the show learning something new when that time does come.
Bentley’s Score: 8






Calvin Johnson, Jr. and Lindsay Arnold
Argentine Tango: Hotel California by Eagles
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 10, 9, 9 (37/40)
#TeamLindsatron 1(800)868-3403


Paul Bentley: I’m only giving this dance a 9 instead of a 10 because I know Calvin can do better, even though that Argentine Tango was phenomenal. As Carrie Ann said, this dance had some amazing lifts that I’ve never seen before. The very first lift of the dance was incredible, and would take a lot of practice and trust to get just right. Lindsay didn’t just dance around Calvin; she let Calvin to use her as a way of presenting his strengths that are suited quite well for such a sensual yet fiery Latin dance. There was just a smidgen of stomping and too powerful kicks and flicks. This dance is definitely one that I will remember from season 23 as we go forward into other seasons!
Bentley’s Score: 9


Fangirl: This dance was phenomenal. Every move was executed with such strength and power. Those lifts were incredibly hard and I am impressed he pulled those off. This dance proved that Calvin could make it to the finals.
Fangirl’s Score: 9


Julia: I’m glad Calvin finally received some well-deserved praise and recognition for one of his dances, because I don’t think he’s gotten much of that so far this season (I think the only other time was for his Viennese Waltz a few weeks ago). Calvin did an amazing job executing Lindsay’s unique choreography, though I noticed a tiny bit of hesitation here and there. I know I keep saying it, but I have a feeling this team this team is going all the way to the end of the competition!
Julia’s Score: 9






Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Salsa: Light It Up by Major Lazer featuring Nyla and Fuse ODG
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9, 10 (37/40)
#TeamValaur 1(800)868-3407


Fangirl: Laurie needs to work on not being so robotic with some of her movements and to just let loose. She has so much potential and it is just bubbling inside her ready to burst. She is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Fangirl’s Score: 9


Julia: Laurie definitely brought the Latin heat in this dance, but there were a few missed moves and there wasn’t much chemistry between her and Val. As a result this performance had an awkward vibe to it, even though Laurie’s technique was quite good for the most part.
Julia’s Score: 9


Paul Bentley: This girl has technique for days! That Salsa was jam-packed with tons of content and pretty cool tricks, and as usual, she crushed it. I do have to say that she does pause quite a bit between certain moves in her dances, so I want her to fill those quick moments with something that quickly transition her from one move to another with ease. I also want to see her match with Val a tad bit more in the side-by-side sections, but she even performs those parts better than most. I can tell that Laurie is really able to feel music and turn it into her own style. I love wo she executes every line as if they were all just as important as the other, because that’s what really ties everything together. Laurie can really bring out her all in these Latin routines!
Bentley’s Score: 9






Rankings of the Week 6 Performances


Paul Bentley
1. James & Sharna
2. Jana & Gleb
3. Calvin & Lindsay
4. Laurie & Val
5. Marilu & Derek
6. Maureen & Artem
7. Terra & Sasha
8. Amber & Maks
9. Ryan & Cheryl


Julia
1. James & Sharna
2. Calvin & Lindsay
3. Jana & Gleb
4. Marilu & Derek
5. Laurie & Val
6. Terra & Sasha
7. Ryan & Cheryl
8. Maureen & Artem
9. Amber & Maks


Fangirl
1. James & Sharna
2. Jana & Gleb
3. Calvin & Lindsay
4. Marilu & Derek
5. Laurie & Val
6. Terra & Sasha
7. Ryan & Cheryl
8. Maureen & Artem
9. Amber & Maks






Predictions for Elimination


Julia: Maureen is probably the most likely candidate (I know she has a fanbase that lines up with the main demographic for this show but we’re at the point where that alone won’t get you by anymore) but the thing is I don’t really have a sense as to how many people are actually voting for Terra (same with Ryan but somehow I think he’ll be around until at least Week 9). She’s been high up on the leaderboard most weeks but now that she’s on the bottom she could be in trouble. So my guess is Maureen and if not her then Terra and if not either of them then Ryan. I can’t see anyone else being the next to go since there is a lot of space in scores between those three and the person fourth from the bottom of the leaderboard (Marilu).


Fangirl: My guess is Maureen. I feel like she is very far behind the rest of the pack and is struggling to catch up. I also think her fan base is relatively smaller than the celebrities.


Paul Bentley: I’m still doubting that Terra will be eliminated any time soon. My prediction is that Maureen and Artem are the next to go. My backup prediction is Ryan and Cheryl, but I’m sticking with Maureen on this one.






MVP (Most Valuable Pro) Picks for Week 6


Julia: I was very impressed by how Lindsay Arnold managed to choreograph such a great Argentine Tango to a piece of music that didn’t really lend itself to one and how she tuned Calvin’s technique in the style so well!


Fangirl: Sharna Burgess was definitely my MVP this week. She did an incredible job with the rumba choreography and I really think it displayed all of James strengths.


Paul Bentley: I have to agree that Sharna Burgess was a real MVP this week. The Rumba is arguably the hardest dance style for a male to perform, especially when he is supposed to be the focus. Sharna was able to bring James to dance as his own, and have him execute with a technicality that is rarely seen on the show for males dancing the Rumba.




Additional Comments


Julia: Very excited for Era’s Night next week, especially because we’re getting the team dances and they seem to have some pretty cool concepts this time. (I’m also happy to see this challenge in a fall season happen on a theme night other than Halloween for a change.)


Paul Bentley: I love how Eras Night is so dynamic with all of the portrayed time periods. Going from a playful Charleston in the Golden Age to an electronic dance taking place in the future is always refreshing and fun to watch!


Paul Bentley: As much as I love Pitbull, I’ve come to realize how similar all of his music sounds. I like a good Pitbull song every once in awhile, but that opening number with LunchMoney Lewis and Flo Rida made me think of three other songs by him that seem just like it. I liked him as a judge this time around, though. He is very fair and has some funny things to say!






Follow Us on Twitter! (links)
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Fangirl: @24_7dwts
Katie Henry: @katiegotbandzz
Angelina Mikheeva: @angelinarose42
The DWTS 2016 Social Square (run by Paul Bentley): @DWTS2016






What did you think of Latin Night on Dancing With the Stars? Which couple do you think brought the most Latin heat? Which Latin routine was your favorite? What did you think of Amber and Maks’s elimination? Who do you think will be eliminated next week, coming in eighth place?


Next week is Eras Night on DWTS! The couples will dance to styles with themes that portray certain time periods. And then, it is the eras-themed team dances, with Team Future versus Team Past! And at the end of the night, another couple will be eliminated from the competition! Plus, Len Goodman will be back to judge!




DWTS Amber Cha-Cha-Cha.jpg


#DWTS #DWTS23

DWTS Trophy.png

1 comment:

  1. I think it really should be Maureen going home but I'm kinda afraid for Terra I'm not sure who's getting more votes between Terra Maureen or Ryan but I will say it seems like there's always an upset on Team nite (which could be Terra) Sasha has always been eliminated on Team nite as well So those 2 facts together tell me Terra but we shall see

    ReplyDelete