Saturday, September 19, 2015

Dancing With the Stars Season 21- Week 1 (Premiere) Review

The season premiere of season 21 of Dancing With the Stars had a lot of great dancers! It is going to be a tough journey for the celebrities to make it to the finals since so many seem to work it like there is no tomorrow! Here are my thoughts on the show:

Opening Number
Emergency (Remix) by Icona Pop

What a way to start the season! I actually thought that this was a more explosive opening number than last year's anniversary debut. I could tell that a lot of the celebrities forgot most of the choreography for the opening number, but what can you expect? Not all of them are natural-born dancers. I can't wait to see the new contestants, along with the familiar pros this season on the dance floor!




Jockey Victor Espinoza and his partner Karina Smirnoff (#TeamEspinoff)
Salsa- G.D.F.R. by Flo Rida featuring Sage the Gemini and Lookas
Score: 5, 5, 5 (15/30)

This was something, alright! To start off, the fact that the song was barely even a Salsa song, really put Victor and Karina at a disadvantage. I mean, there could have been a whole lot more Salsa content, though. I guess it is challenging for both Victor and Karina because of Victor's VERY short term memory. However, I thought that both Victor's mirror ball hat along with that ridiculous hip movement kinda made up for everything. Kinda. I give Victor and Karina's Salsa a 4. I wanted much more content. It is hard going first, but I want to see him really sell it!




Reality Star Tamar Braxton and her partner Valentin Chmerkovskiy (#TeamValenTay)
Quickstep- Do Your Thing by Basement Jaxx
Score: 8, 7, 8 (23/30)

Quickstep week one? I am a bit conflicted about that. It does give a wider variety of dance styles for week one, but since the dances were barely even a minute long, I personally think that that amount of time is enough for a solid Quickstep. Tamar did great with the dance, though. I remember Amber Riley singing this song on the show a few seasons back, and thinking how awesome that could be for a Lindy Hop, Jazz, Quickstep, Charleston, Swing, Jitterbug, etc, dance. Val did not make it easy for Tamar this week, which I appreciate, because most dances this week had barely any content. Tamar has lots of potential! I give Tamar and Val's Quickstep a 7. Tamar needs to keep her frame steady, and not rush the music.




Singer Chaka Khan and her partner Keoikantse Motsepe (#TeamChaKeo)
Cha-Cha-Cha- I Feel for You by Chaka Khan
Score: 5, 4, 4 (13/30)

This couple's safety is already not looking good. There was so much that went wrong with this dance. Of course I want to see Keo go far for once, but I think that he really needs to drill the choreography into Chaka's head in order to well next week. Chaka really needs to pick up feet, and find something to do with her arms. It would be really beneficial if they did more steps in hold because Chaka clearly could not have remembered the steps. I give Chaka and Keo's Cha-Cha-Cha a 4. I want to see more hold, bigger movements, and much sharper lines.




Vine Star Hayes Grier and his partner Emma Slater (#TeamSlayes)
Cha-Cha-Cha- Cheerleader by OMI
Score: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)

One thing that really stuck out to me during the premiere was the fact that everything was very sexualized during both the package and the dance. I don't have anything wrong with sexy movements, but some of the things said and suggested were a bit much for Hayes. Besides that, Hayes did okay. I want to see some more confident steps from him, and more hip movements, surprisingly enough. I really want to see him enjoy the dance, and I'm just not getting that from him. . . yet. I give Hayes and Emma's Cha-Cha-Cha a 6. I need some more technique from him. He needs to feel the dance more.




Singer Andy Grammer and his partner Allison Holker (#TeamAndison)
Foxtrot- Marvin Gaye by Marvin Puth featuring Meghan Trainor
Score: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)

Just like I said with Hayes, Andy needs to be more technical as well. The whole dance was pretty much unstable. Andy and Allison were enjoyable to watch, but a few moments made me cringe. I love the fact that Andy is dancing for his mother, and I think that Allison is gradually bringing out the best in him so Andy can make it far for her. I give Andy and Allison's Foxtrot a 6. Andy needs to loosen up his shoulders. He also needs to get a better control of Allison.




TV Chef Paula Deen and her partner Louis van Amstel (#TeamButtercup)
Quickstep- Hey, Good Lookin' by Carl Welsman
Score: 5, 5, 5 (15/30)

First of all, the video package was hilarious! This is going to be interesting seeing more of Paula's actions and behaviors on the show. For the dance, it was pretty much what I expected. I do give her props for keeping up with this difficult dance, but she did not deliver. She was far off the music, as well as all over the place in her movements. The nerves did seem to get to her, but that is not excuse for this show. I give Paula and Louis's Quickstep a 4. Paula needs to keep up with Louis. She needs to pay attention more attention to the beat, and not pay any attention to her nerves, which were clearly noticeable.




Singer/Actor Carlos PenaVega and his partner Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)
Jive- I Got You (I Feel Good) by James Brown
Score: 8, 8, 7 (23/30)

Husband vs. Wife! I think it's going to be really odd when the first of the spouses get eliminated. However, I think that both of them are here to stay for a while! Carlos seems like a complete natural. His kicks and flicks were on point. I got a bit of a flashback from Alfonso and Witney's Jive from season 19, because it had the same essence of style as this dance. Although I think that Carlos was cleaner than Alexa, I think that Carlos had limited full body motion compared to his wife. I give Carlos and Witney's Jive an 8.




Actress Alexa PenaVega and her partner Mark Ballas (#TeamBAEga)
Jive- Whistle (While You Work It) by Katy Tiz
Score: 7, 7, 8 (22/30)

What I saw from Alexa that nobody else had during the premiere was the electric sexiness that radiated throughout the dance floor. This, to me, was one of the most technical dances of the night. She did need to kicker stronger and higher, but she performed it well. Despite some of the flaws, I prefer Alexa's Jive over Carlos's. She had more content and more personality than him. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the long run; Alexa and Carlos are a couple to beat! I give Alexa and Mark's Jive an 8. I would really like to see the kicks nailed more, as well as higher knees.




Reality Star Kim Zolciak-Biermann and her partner Tony Dovilani (#TeamTKO)
Salsa- Hey Mama by David Guetta featuring Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha, and Afrojack
Score: 4, 4, 4 (12/30) Bottom of the Leader Board

As the judges said, this was like watching a Salsa in slow motion. Not only that, but the few Salsa moves that she did do, they were done without precision. Even the several hip rolls that were spread throughout the dance were lackluster. From the look of her face, I think it had to do with stage freight. I have a strong feeling that this pair will be eliminated next week, but there are still two dances for her to perform next week. I give Kim and Tony's Salsa a 3. There has to be more everything- steps, technique, stability, etc.




Wildlife Activist Bindi Irwin and her partner Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Jive- Crocodile Rock by Elton John
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30) Top of the Leader Board

Bindi and Derek had my favorite dance of the night! Bindi is a girl ready to compete, and it will be hard to stop her! Her excitement shined through the dance floor! She actually matched with Derek's steps really well, despite her little flub with the side-by-side rushed kicks.She looks like a natural, and that will definitely help her in the future. I give Bindi and Derek's Jive an 8. The kicks and flicks were nailed. Just as a side note, I think that Bindi needs to make her stance a little bit less wide just so the movements don't seem very bulky.




Actor Gary Busey and his partner Anna Trebunskaya (#TeamGaryAnna)
Cha-Cha-Cha- Dancing in the Street by David Bowie and Mick Jagger
Score: 5, 5, 5 (15/30)

This was yet another dance without much content. Gary is comedy gold, but now I want to see actually get into the music. Anna did well with him, but I am wanting a breakthrough from these two. One part of me thinks that they might be eliminated next week, but another part of me is saying that they have the votes to make it a few more weeks into the show. At least Gary remembered most of his steps, unlike some other celebrities. I give Gary and Anna's Cha-Cha-Cha a 4. His arms needed to be more extended, and he needed to flex his knees more.




American Soldier Alek Skarlatos and his partner Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Foxtrot- Ten Feet Tall by Afrojack featuring Wrabel
Score:8, 7, 7 (22/30)

I was so happy when I saw this dance. I am so glad that Alek did well since he made such a subtle appearance on Good Morning America. Not only that, but who wouldn't want to root for a hero?  This Foxtrot actually reminded me a lot of Andy and Allison's Foxtrot, but this one made a better impression on me. He was very fluid, and had some pretty good rise and fall. I give Alek and Lindsay's Foxtrot a 7. He needs to space out his hands some more. A few of his moments were a little bit robotic, but I think that Lindsay can fix that.




Backstreet Boy Nick Carter and his partner Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)
Cha-Cha-Cha- I Don't Like It, I Love It by Flo Rida featuring Robin Thicke and Verdine White
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30) Top of the Leader Board

This Cha-Cha-Cha was a bit too Hip-Hop for my liking, but Nick's suave movements made up for that. This is another natural dancer, so he did not miss a beat. What I was really impressed with in this dance was that I was only paying attention to Nick, and not Sharna. Since Sharna is such a fierce dancer, that really showed to me how much a performer Nick is. I give Nick and Sharna's Cha-Cha-Cha an 8. Just like with Alek, I want to see more flexible hands, but that was very minor compared his extraordinary footwork.






So what was your favorite dance from the DWTS season 21 premiere? WHo are you rooting for this season? Who do you think will eliminated next week?

Next week on Dancing With the Stars, the couples will dance two dances for "Hometown Glory Week". We will learn all about both the celebrities and the pros' hometowns on Monday, September 21, 2015! Also, there will be two eliminations, so nobody is safe!

For more Dancing With the Stars updates, live tweets, opinions, and more, follow me on Twitter at @DWTS2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment