Saturday, September 26, 2015

Dancing With the Stars Season 21- Week 2 (Hometown Glory) Review

Two nights of dances?! And in week two?! This has never been done before, and must have put a lot of pressure on the couples! I guess it was a good thing for the audience, though, since we got 25 dances in two nights, along with 2 opening numbers! It was Hometown Glory week on Dancing With the Stars, and the couples were ready to compete! On night one, we learned about the contestants' hometowns and had our first elimination of the season. On night two, for the first time ever, we learned about the pros' hometowns, and had the second elimination of the season. There was a lot to watch, so I better get to it! Here are my thoughts from the week:

Night 1- The Celebrities' Homes

Opening Number
I Lived by OneRepublic

My first thought when hearing this song was Noah Galloway-- he is amazing! I loved the simple opening, even though it didn't have any dancing. There were some time constraints, so I let this one slide.



Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess
(#TeamSharNick)
Jive- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by The Andrews Sisters
Score: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Nick's Home: Florida

It's too bad that Nick had that slip up with the shoes. It turns out that he was also off the music at the beginning because he couldn't hear the music. This was the first time that I saw Nick not comfortable on the dance floor. All in all, he still recovered well. I give Nick and Sharna's Jive a 7.



Paula Deen and Louis van Amstel (#TeamButtercup)
Rumba- Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight & The Pips
Score: 7, 6, 6 (19/30)
Paula's Home: Georgia

This was a big comeback from last week for Paula. She has rhythm, which is really helping her out. She does need to complete her movements with slower, fluid motion. I noticed some minor mess ups but she pretty much nailed that dance. I give Paula and Louis's Rumba a 6.



Hayes Grier and Emma Slater (#TeamSlayes)
Foxtrot- This is How We Roll by Florida Georgia Lin featuring Luke Bryan
Score: 8, 7, 7 (22/30)
Hayes's Home: North Carolina

I'm not alone when I say I was not a fan of the motor bike at the beginning. For the dance, though, I think I was in the minority because I was not too impressed with it. It was okay, but I do not completely agree with this dance being a huge improvement from last week. He did not let loose enough for my taste. I give Hayes and Emma's Foxtrot a 7.



Chaka Khan and Keoikantse Motsepe (#TeamChaKeo)- Eliminated- 13th Place
Foxtrot- Chicago (That Toddlin' Town) by Frank Sinatra
Score: 5, 5, 5 (15/30) Bottom of the Leaderboard
Chaka's Home: Illinois

Once again, Chaka forgot her steps, but not as many as last week. Due to the very noticable height difference, they were at a disadvantage for the hold, but Keo was very creative with the choreography. I can't say I didn't expect for them to be eliminated, but I do think that this season is filled with competitors, and it will will be hard for everyone to reach the finals. I give Chaka and Keo's Foxtrot a 5.



Andy Grammer and Allison Holker (#TeamAndison)
Jive- Only the Good Die Young by Billy Joel
Score: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Andy's Home: New York

First off, I loved the whole production for this dance. The New York stand and the
yellow color were some good touches. Andy was off time on and off, which made him rush a little bit. Despite that, I would be lying if I said that this Jive didn't put a smile on my face! I give Andy and Allison's Jive a 7.


 
Kim Zolciak-Biermann and Tony Dovolani (#TeamTKO)
Quickstep- Queen Bee by Rochelle Diamante
Score: 7, 6, 6 (19/30)
Kim's Home: Georgia

This was the comeback that I was really hoping for. Kim looks so much more vibrant and confident now; I like this new Kim! I would have preferred to see some more Quickstep content, but this was still a major improvement, despite her side kicks being less than par. I give Kim and Tony's Quickstep a 7.



Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Jazz- Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
Score: 8, 7, 8 (23/30)
Alek's Home: California

If I didn't see the word "Jazz" on the corner of my screen, I would have thought that this was a Contemporary. Do I really care, though? No, not really. Alek nailed those lifts, but I would have liked to have seen less lifts, and more steps. What he did do was actually very technical, and that really impressed me. I give Alek and Lindsay's Jazz an 8.



Alexa PenaVega and Mark Ballas (#TeamBAEga)
Salsa- Que Es Lo Que Quiere Esa Nena by El General
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30)
Alexa's Home: Florida

I always love Mark's production and choreographhy-- this was no exception! Alexa was hot, hot, hot in that costume, and moved really well to go along with it. Every movement she makes, she puts an emphasis on it. That in itself can get her really far in this competition. I give Alexa and Mark's Salsa an 8.



Victor Espinoza and Karina Smirnoff (#TeamEspinoff)
Jive- La Bamba by Ritchie Valens
Score: 6, 5, 6 (17/30)
Victor's Home: Mexico

Obviously this Jive was extremely comical, but when you take that away, the while dance was very lackluster. Karina pretty much danced around him, and the few steps that Victor did were all technically wrong. On the bright side, I love the fact that this was a Mexican-themed Jive; it's a very unique concept. I give Victor and Karina's Jive a 5.



Tamar Braxton and Valentin Chmerkovskiy (#TeamValenTay)
Cha-Cha-Cha- We Are Family by Sister Sledge
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30)
Tamar's Home: Maryland

I think Tamar and Alexa were competing with who was sexier last night because, well, look at them! Just like Alexa, Tamar also had lots of good hip action. As the judges said, I think she was better out of hold than in hold. But hey, it was still pretty great when she was dancing with Val. I give Tamar and Val's Cha-Cha-Cha an 8.



Gary Busey and Anna Trebunskaya (#TeamGaryAnna)
Foxtrot- Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys
Score: 6, 6, 6 (18/30)
Gary's Home: Oklahoma

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Gary and Anna actually get to the Foxtrot content. Gary had such spectacular moments, especially with his feet, both those moments would come and go. I'm just glad that Gary never lost his personality in this dance. I give Gary and Anna's Foxtrot a 6.



Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)
Foxtrot- Home by Blake Shelton
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30)
Carlos's Home: Missouri

There was a special presence that this Foxtrot casted. Carlos is very smooth and elegant, which helped him really feel the dance. He is a true performer, and I think that that will really help him get the votes. Sometimes his lines are not from the core, so in essence, the movements feel like they stop for a split second. I give Carlos and Witney's Foxtrot an 8.



Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Tango- You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
Score: 9, 8, 8 (25/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Bindi's Home: Australia

Is there anything this girl can't do?! Bindi was on point from start to finish, but I do have to say that she hit each move with a little too much uncontrolled energy. If she could calm that down a bit, she will be golden. I give Bindi and Derek's Tango an 8.



Night 2- The Pros' Homes


Opening Number
Take Me Home by Cash Cash featuring Bebe Rexha

Once when you think the show will probably run out of ideas soon, they keep bringing in some new and exciting openings! I loved the homemade videos and pictures! The fact that this was all shot with one camera amazes me. Great job, Dancing With the Stars crew!



Hayes Grier and Emma Slater (#TeamSlayes)
Quickstep- Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet
Score: 8, 7, 8 (23/30)
Emma's Home: England

Unlike his Foxtrot, I found Hayes's Quickstep to be much more technical. This, to me, was Hayes's breakthrough dance. One side note, though, is that he needs to close his mouth. He looks very uncomfortable when he does that. Also, he needs to fix his heel placement. I give Hayes and Emma's Quickstep an 8.



Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)
Cha-Cha-Cha- Hound Dog by Big Mama Thornton
Score: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Witney's Home: Utah

I could not stop looking at Witney in this set, which is both a good and a bad thing. I would have really liked to see Carlos shine in this Cha-Cha-Cha, but instead, it felt a bit small. Don't get me wrong, his technique was great. I just want to see him own that dance floor. I give Carlos and Witney's Cha-Cha-Cha a 7.



Gary Busey and Anna Trebunskaya (#TeamGaryAnna)
Paso Doble1812 Overture by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Score: 5, 5, 5 (15/30) Bottom of the Leaderboard
Anna's Home: Russia

I surprisingly find my self to love this partnership. The fact that Gary calls Anna "Russia with Love" cracks me up! As for the Paso Doble, there was not much of one, but what are going to do? I give Gary and Anna's Paso Doble a 5.



Andy Grammer and Allison Holker (#TeamAndison)
Contemporary- Heaven Is a Place on Earth by Belinds Carlisle
Score: 8, 8, 7 (23/30)
Allison's Home: Utah

Doesn't it seem like most of the pros are from Utah?! Huh, weird. I know that Andy had some stability problems, but I was really impressed with this dance. Andy always knew what to do with every part of his body, which is probably thanks to the amazing Allision! I give Andy and Allison's Contemporary an 8.



Alexa PenaVega and Mark Ballas (#TeamBAEga)
Rumba- "Somewhere in Time" Theme by John Barry
Score: 7, 7, 8 (22/30)
Mark's Home: England

Mark did a superb job in channeling Shirley Ballas through Alexa. It was very moving, especially with Shirley's signature move at the end. However, it seemed like Alexa was under a great deal of pressure, because her lines were not as spectacular as they were the night before. Overall, it seemed a bit clumsy. I give Alexa and Mark's Rumba a 7.



Paula Deen and Louis van Amstel (#TeamButtercup)
Tango- Get Ready by The Temptations
Score: 6, 6, 6 (18/30)
Louis's Home: Amsterdam

Paula was on fire in this Tango! She had some sharp turns, and a pretty sexy leg raise. A few critiques, though, is that she needs to fully place her feet when traveling, as well as carry a tighter hold. I give Paula and Louis's Tango a 7.



Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Waltz- Only a Man by Jonny Lang
Score: 7, 8, 8 (23/30)
Derek's Home: Utah and England

I was really glad to see Bindi's vulnerable side this week on DWTS. She has great rise and fall, and professional-like turns. Her arms could use some work, but I think Derek will be able to help with that. Oh, and the whole "illegal lift" thing from Carrie Ann, to me, was unjustified. Carrie Ann is very inconsistent with her judging. I give Bindi and Derek's Waltz and 8.



Kim Zolciak-Biermann and Tony Dovolani (#TeamTKO)
Foxtrot- Come Home by OneRepublic featuring Sara Bareilles
Score: 6, 6, 6 (18/30)
Tony's Home: Kosovo

I think the nerves came back to Kim on Tuesday. I think Kim was holding back on what she is truly capable of, but it was a beautiful piece. Tony's story really made this dance stick out to me, and made it very special for the audience. I give Kim and Tony's Foxtrot a 7.



Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Quickstep- American Girl by Elle King
Score: 7, 7, 8 (22/30)
Lindsay's Home: Utah

It's a good thing that Lindsay is a creative choreographer, because the music had such long low points for a Quickstep. Although Alek almost couldn't keep up, he still had a lot of awareness and control in his feet. I give Alek and Lindsay's Quickstep a 7.



Victor Espinoza and Karina Smirnoff (#TeamEspinoff)- Eliminated- 12th Place
Rumba- Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys
Score: 7, 6, 7 (20/30)
Karina's Home: Ukraine

Right when I saw this Rumba, it automatically made me think of Rumer and Val's Rumba from last season. Victor had the same problems in this dance that he did in his other dances, but he did improve on them. He actually framed Karina really well. This was another elimination that I could see coming, but I wanted to see him for a little while longer since he has such a unique and likable personality. I give Victor and Karina's Rumba a 6.



Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)
Foxtrot- Coming Home, Pt. II by Skylar Grey
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30)
Sharna's Home: Australia

Sharna's story was so emotional-- there was not a dry eye in that room! Nick really matched the incredibly powerful music with such grace and elegance. He and Sharna filled the room with all of that emotion. I could tell that Nick could feel the music in a way that translated beautifully on the dance floor. This was tied for my favorite routine of the night! I give Nick and Sharna's Forxtrot an 8.



Tamar Braxton and Valentin Chmerkovskiy (#TeamValenTay)
Charleston- Living in New York City by Robin Thicke
Score: 8, 8, 9 (25/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Val's Home: New York

This was my other favorite dance of the night! It looked like this was the only couple that was not significantly affected by the fact that they had two dances to perform in one week. This was by far the most energetic and technical performance I saw for Hometown Week! I give Tamar and Val's Charleston a 9.






Hometown Glory week is over, and the show will go back to only one round of dances per week. Next week is TV Night on Dancing With the Stars, with season 19 champion Alfonso Ribeiro as a guest judge!

What did you think of Hometwon Glory week on Dancing With the Stars? Which hometown story was your favorite? What was your favorite performance from each night?

Follow me on Twitter at @DWTS2015 for DWTS news, updates, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment