Saturday, October 3, 2015

Dancing With the Stars Season 21- Week 3 (TV Night) Review

Seasons back when Dancing With the Stars first did TV Night, I wan't too impressed. However, since the show had such a high production value, I ended up loving the theme this week, despite there being some occasions where there would be too much production, and not enough dancing. It was a jam-packed night, with The Muppets taking over for a little bit, and season 19 champion Alfonso Ribeiro as a guest judge (sitting in between Carrie Ann and Julianne). The dances this week were fun, but I felt as though some of the songs did not match up with the dance styles. Here are my opinions of week three of DWTS:

Opening Number
We Came to Smash - In a Black Tuxedo by Martin Solveig featuring Dev

These opening numbers are always so creative! The colors were very fun, and the female pros looked amazing in those costumes! I wished the dance could have lasted longer, but I guess The Muppets took over some of their time! XD




Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)
Jazz- Thank You for Being a Friend by Cynthia Fee
Score: 7, 8, 8, 8 (31/40)
TV Show Theme: The Golden Girls

This one's a tough one to judge. Having a song such as this is not very good for Jazz, considering how low key it really is. Once again, I am not too impressed with Carlos as I was in week one. He did great, but for his level, I expect more. I give Carlos and Witney's Jazz a 7. Just like with his Cha-Cha-Cha, Carlos's moves seemed small. I think he really needs to focus on filling the room with his dances.



Paula Deen and Louis van Amstel (#TeamButtercup)
Samba- The Ballad of Gilligan's Island by The Eligibles
Score: 5, 5, 5, 5 (20/40) Bottom of the Leaderboard
TV Show Theme: Gilligan's Island

This Samba had the most fun concept and theme of the night. The troupe killed it! Paula was not very showcased in it, though, which was very odd. As Julianne said, Paula did the same moves over and over again. I want to see some variety. I give Paula and Louis's Samba a 5. She steps very wide, and almost blanks out with each step she makes. I would really like to see her finding control of her body, because she does actually move relatively well.



Tamar Braxton and Valentin Chmerkovskiy (#TeamValenTay)
Tango- A Beautiful Mine by RJD2
Score: 8, 9, 8, 8 (33/40)
TV Show Theme: Mad Men

Technically, Tamar and Val's Tango was next to perfect. Emotionally, the conection was not there. They did have a fierce presence, but Tamar ended up having a "focused" face. I really want to see Tamar connect with Val more so things like that won't happen. Overall, I thought this Tango was fantastic. I give Tamar and Val's Tango an 8. There were a few minor technical mistakes, along with a wobbly frame. Despite that, it was one of my favorite performances of the night.



Alexa PenaVega and Mark Ballas (#TeamBAEga)
Jazz- Breaking Bad Theme by Dave Porter
Score: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40) Top of the Leaderboard
TV Show Theme: Breaking Bad

First off, I just want to say that I love these acted video packages that Dancing With the Stars does, no matter what anybody else thinks about them. Mark's costume was astonishing as well. The Jazz number was superb, and is a number I will definitely remember this season! I saw one timing issue, but I'm knit-picking. I give Alexa and Mark's Jazz an 8. It was a tad too pedestrian, and I personally feel as though it was very gimmicky. Although, one again, I am knit-picking. This dance portrayed the show very well.



Andy Grammer and Allison Holker (#TeamAndison)
Quickstep- Bandstand Boogie by Larry Elgart
Score: 7, 7, 8, 7 (29/40)
TV Show Theme: American Bandstand

There were a few things that were "off" in this Quickstep. Andy felt very big and clunky compared to Allison, and that's because he didn't match Allison exactly with his motions. What he did was correct, but it was a bit different from what Allison was doing. It was also very stuttery, so I would sugest that Allison should tone it down with the jam-packed choreography for Andy. I give Any and Allison's Quickstep an 8. It was actually very technically correct, but Andy needs to polish his footwork.



Gary Busey and Anna Trebunskaya (#TeamGaryAnna)
Tango- The Addams Family Theme by Vic Mizzy
Score: 6, 7, 6, 6 (25/40)
TV Show Theme: The Addams Family

Gary and Anna entertain me every week! To my pleasant surprise, Gary is actually improving with each dance he does. Anna doesn't go too easy on him, either. Sure, it is more basic than most performances, but I could tell that Anna really pushed Gary this week. I give Gary and Anna's Tango a 7. There was one little slip up, but Gary made up for that with his musicality and strong hold.



Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)
Tango- Bad Things by Jace Everett
Score: 8, 8, 9, 8 (33/40)
TV Show Theme: True Blood

Alek has some true potential to make it to the finals, especially because of his steady progression throughout the weeks. Alek was really leading Lindsay, and he kept up with her in every second of the routine. His personality is slowly progressing, so I can't wait to see what this team has in store for us next week! I give Alek and Lindsay's Tango an 8. Alek has to tuck in his butt, as well as bring down his shoulders. I am very interested to see him improve in the following weeks.



Kim Zolciak-Biermann and Tony Dovilani (#TeamTKO)- Withdrew- 11th Place
Samba (Jenna Johnson and Tony Dovolani)- Jeannie by Hugo Montenegro
Score: N/A Not Scored
TV Show Theme: I Dream of Jeannie

As we all know, Kim was not able to make it to the DWTS studio due to not being cleared to fly to California from her TIA mini-stroke. So, Jenna Johnson danced the Samba with Tony. And by the way, Jenna looked incredible out there, so I hope she can become a pro one season! The dance was super fun to watch, especially with the catchy music in the background! Unfortunately, due to Kim not being present on the dance floor, she was forced to withdraw from the competition. I am glad she payed attention to her doctor- her health is the most important thing. Despite being out so early, I truly believe that she improved in the short time she was on the show.



Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Quickstep- Movin' On Up by Ja'net Dubois
Score: 8, 8, 8, 8 (32/40)
TV Show Theme: The Jeffersons

Even though I was extremely eager to see that high-tech The Jetsons dance, I think that this Quickstep had a great outcome. She only had a few days to rehearse, but she prevailed through the tough situation! Derek's genius and Bindi's ambition made the performance turn out really well.! I give Bindi and Derek's Quickstep an 8. Bindi was very forward in hold, and kept separating in hold with Derek. For the short time they had to rehearse, though, it was the best they could do.



Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)
Viennese Waltz- Did I Make the Most of Loving You? by Mary-Jess Leaverland
Score: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40) Top of the Leaderboard
TV Show Theme: Downton Abbey

This Viennese Waltz was something I have never seen before. Nick and Sharna's dance this week has been my favorite dance of the season thus far for several reasons. There is a special connection between Nick and Sharna that could not be put into words, and the little moves and touches that were added in made this performance emotional perfection.This was one of the rare times where I watch a dance on the show, and I am transported into another world. I give Nick and Sharna's Viennese Waltz a 9. Everything was on point, and I was left in awe after this beautiful musical piece.



Hayes Grier and Emma Slater (#TeamSlayes)
Jive- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Chuck Lorre and Dennis C. Brown
Score: 7, 8, 7, 8 (30/40)
TV Show: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

In all honesty, this was my least favorite dance of the night, despite it being many other people's favorite dance of the night. A lot the reason why I was not a huge fan of this performance was not Hayes's fault at all. The not-so-good music barely fit the Jive dance style, the Jive content was almost nonexistent, the costumes were very poor on the eye, and the Turtle Shell Hayes was wearing seemed to block a lot of his lower body movement. I give Hayes and Emma's Jive a 7. Hayes seemed to hold back, and his kicks needed to improve with pointed toes and higher knees. On the bright side, I think that Hayes really nailed those Jazzy turtle moves!





So what did you think of TV Night on Dancing With the Stars? What was your favorite dance of the night? What did you think of the shocking withdraw, along with the safe bottom two this week?

For Dancing With Stars news, updates, and live tweets, follow me on Twitter at @DWTS2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment