Saturday, October 10, 2015

Dancing With the Stars Season 21- Week 4 (Most Memorable Year Night) Review

Most Memorable Year night is always an emotional night every season, and this season is no exception. There were a lot of memorable performances to go along with some memorable stories, which created a memorable show for the viewers. As you could probably tell, I found a lot these numbers to be memorable. For the first time ever in Dancing With the Stars history, Tom Bergeron was absent for the episode. So, last-minute guest host Alfonso Ribeiro filled in for him. Tom Bergeron could not make it to the studio because he wanted to be with his sick father. I wish for nothing but good things for Tom, so I hope he get through this tough time. The show still went on, and the night was filled with emotion that really made the audience feel more connected with the contestants than before. Here are my comments on the show:

Opening Number
I Bet My Life by Imagine Dragons

We have seen this type of opening from DWTS before, but I can see where they were going with it. I would have liked some actual dancing in it, but I guess they needed extra time to talk about the contestants' most memorable years, so I will let this one slide. By the way, I loved the song!



Alexa PenaVega and Mark Ballas (#TeamBAEga)
Foxtrot- Mama Said by The Shirelles
Score: 7, 7, 7 (21/30)
Alexa's Most Memorable Year: 2000

The whole concept behind this dance was fun, especially with holding the umbrella while in hold. It was unfortunate that Alexa blacked out a few times, because she does do really well while in hold. She messed up a few bits of choreography, and it was hard for her to get back into the rhythm of the dance, even with Mark's assistance. Even with the mistakes, she still had some great lines. I give Alexa and Mark's Foxtrot a 7. Hopefully Alexa can find her "zone" in her next dances so she does not mess up like she did on Monday again.



Gary Busey and Anna Trebunskaya (#TeamGaryAnna) Eliminated- 10th Place
Jazz- That'll Be the Day by Buddy Holly
Score: 5, 6, 5 (16/30) Bottom of the Leaderboard
Gary's Most Memorable Year: 1979

I have to give Gary a lot of credit- he has been through a lot in his life. He seems like such a kind person, even with his zany personality! His performance brought out his unique personality, as always, but he was a lot less clean with his lines than usual. He was off beat, but, fortunately for him, I don't think anyone could keep their eyes off on Anna! His elimination was not a shock, but I am glad he made it to Most Memorable Year night to tell his story to America. I give Gary and Anna's Jazz a 5. It was hard for Gary to keep up with Anna, but his fun energy took over the dance!



Tamar Braxton and Valentin Chmerkovskiy (#TeamValenTay)
Rumba- King by Tamar Braxton
Score: 9, 9, 9 (27/30)
Tamar's Most Memorable Year: 2012

So far this season, I felt as though Tamar has not completely shown her true abilities. On Monday, she not only brought the emotion to the dance that I have been waiting for from her, but her connection with Val improved quite a bit. The fact that she almost lost her husband, and then had her kid about a year later, really makes an impact to this number. The dance was even more special considering she used her own song, and had her husband play the piano live for the song. I give Tamar and Val's Rumba a 9. She has great extensions, but she needs to complete her lines, and make them come from her core.



Hayes Grier and Emma Slater (#TeamSlayes)
Contemporary- Stitches by Shawn Mendez
Score: 9, 9, 9 (27/30)
Hayes's Most Memorable Year: 2014

Hayes has been back and forth with me from his quality of dances this season. This dance, however, was his best dance. Unlike the previous weeks, Hayes actually listened to the judges, and payed attention to the detail. The lifts, the arm extensions, the spins- everything was a complete movement from start to finish. I liked his story, and I like how he brought that out in his routine. I give Hayes and Emma's Contemporary a 9. The only note that I have for this dance is that some of his body language was a bit too hard-hitting, but that might be hard to control because of the hard-hitting points of the song.



Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)

Paso Doble- Wake Me Up by Avicii
Score: 8, 8, 8 (24/30)
Alek's Most Memorable Year: 2015

Wow, a lot has happened to Alek this year. It might have been hard for Alek to focus on the Paso Doble, understandably, because of everything that happened this week, which might be the reason why he seemed out of it during the dance. He had a very blank face, but it must be hard to fake anger when actually being very depressed. I give Alek and Lindsay's Paso Doble an 8. A problem that I have seen from week one with Alek is his arm extensions. It needs to be more natural when he does his Spanish lines.



Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)

Jazz- Everybody (Backstreet's Back) by Backstreet Boys
Score: 9, 9, 9 (27/30)
Nick's Most Memorable Year: 1992

This was the first week that made me see Nick as an actual human being, rather than just a guy who was in a boy band. I never realized that he lived in a poor environment, so I am glad that he was able to become as successful as he is today. I was never a fan of the Backstreet Boys, but I found myself really into this Jazz routine. He has become more fluid than he has been in the past weeks, and he had some Hip Hop moves that were on point. I give Nick and Sharna's Jazz a 9. There were two small sections of the dance that looked awkward to me, but, overall, Nick nailed this dance.



Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)
Waltz- Amazing Grace performed by Ray Chew
Score: 9, 8, 8 (25/30)
Carlos's Most Memorable Year: 2012

I love the song that Carlos chose for this dance, and I found that the glowing white setting was a nice touch that complimented the music.For the little Waltz content that was in this dance, he executed the lines okay. I saw some instability with one of his dips, and it was very shaky. I give carlos and Witney's Waltz an 8. Carlos needed to loosen up his shoulders a little, but his emotional connection to the dance almost masked that.



Paula Deen and Louis van Amstel (#TeamButtercup)
Cha-Cha-Cha- Respect by Aretha Franklin
Score: 6, 6, 6 (18/30)
Paula's Most Memorable Year: 1989

I'm glad that Paula stays positive no matter what happens in her life. As for her dancing, Paula has not grown much since week one, but there has been some improvement. She does hit her movements with the music, but her arms and legs are not very technical. She was practically stomping at certain parts, which has been an ongoing problem with her. Despite that, I think Louis has worked well with her. I give Paula and Louis's Cha-Cha-Cha a 6. I want Paula to continue building up her confidence since it always looks like she second guesses herself.



Andy Grammer and Allison Holker (#TeamAndison)

Cha-Cha-Cha- Good to Be Alive (Hallelujah) by Andy Grammer
Score: 7, 8, 8 (23/30)
Andy's Most Memorable Year: 2009

Andy telling about how his mother died after only a few days of being diagnosed with breast cancer was truly heartbreaking. The fact that he created such an upbeat song after such a tragedy really shows how positive his spirit is. Even when getting some not-so-positive comments from the judges, he still holds his head up high. He is still awkward when his dances, though. Allison practically drags him around the dance floor sometimes, but Andy himself has admitted that dancing is hard for him. And by the way. . . Allison is four months pregnant?! I mean, congratulations to her, but she could have fooled me. It will be interesting to see if she will still be dancing towards the end of the competition, considering she will be about six months pregnant by week eleven. Anyway, I think that these two had a blast with this performance. I give Andy and Allison's Cha-Cha-Cha a 7. Andy needs to find his center of balance, because a bit all over the place with some of his movements.



Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)
Contemporary- Every Breath You Take by Aaron Krause featuring Liza Anne
Score: 9, 9, 10 (28/30) Top of the Leaderboard
Bindi's Most Memorable Year: 2006

This was by far the most emotional dance of the night. I can tell that Bindi can stay strong through no matter what she goes through, even when tragedy such as her father dying occurs. Unlike some of the other contestants that seemed to have crocodile tears, Bindi had true, raw emotion. The little touches in the performance made added to this Contemporary routine is what made this dance whole. She and Derek did did a great job showcasing how Steve Irwin and Bindi had such a strong relationship and connection. I give Bindi and Derek's Contemporary a 10. Bindi's vulnerability and impeccable dance quality made this heartfelt routine full of emotion, while being flawless with her lines at the same time.





What were your thoughts on Most Memorable Year night? What is your most meorable year? What was your favorite dance of the night? Next week is the Switch-Up Challenge, so the contestants will be dancing with a different pro for the first time ever this season. Along with that, season 18 professional champion Maksim Chmerkovskiy will be a guest judge on the panel! There will not be an elimination next week, but there will be one the week after that!

Make sure to follow me on Twitter at @DWTS2015 for Dancing With the Stars new, updates, live tweets, and more!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed with u overall just differed with Tamar. I still don't feel a real connection with her and Val still comes off a bit icy although the she was more emotional this dance makes no eye connection with Val

    ReplyDelete