Saturday, October 17, 2015

Dancing With the Stars Season 21- Week 5 (Switch Up Challenge) Review

It was very interesting to see how the couples did this week during the Switch-Up Challenge, since scores seemed to have really, well, switched-up from last week. The scores and votes from both last week and this week will be used for next week's elimination, but, looking at the scores, I can tell that the next few weeks of competition will be difficult for the pairs. To me, Maksim Chmerkovskiy (sitting in between Julianne and Bruno) was the most consistent judge of the night. I found myself agreeing with his comments and scores throughout pretty much the entire night on Monday. It was interesting to seem him interacting with the other judges as well since he had many different strong opinions from them. My opinions were scattered across the board this week. So, here they are:

Opening Number
Good Times Roll by GRIZ and Big Gigantic

Dancing With the Stars has not failed to impress me so far this season. I always like when the troupe, the pros still in the competition, and the remaining contestants are all involved in a dance together. The concept with the doors was both fun and refreshing, which proved that simple numbers like this can sometimes be better than the outrageous ones.



Tamar Braxton and Louis van Amstel
Samba- End of Time by Beyoncé
Score: 7, 7, 8, 7 (29/40)
Tamar's Original Partner: Valentin Chmerkovskiy (#TeamValenTay)

I actually found that most of the contestants on Monday to improve from the Switch-Up Challenge this week, but not so much with Tamar. It might have been the fact that Tamar needs more time to connect to her partners, or it could be that there was a whole lot of choreography in a long dance routine, but Tamar seemed off her game. Don't get me wrong, she did well with what she was given. She nailed her hip moves, and filled the space with her movements. That leads me to think that she was underscored by quite a few points for this Samba. I give Tamar and Louis's Samba an 8. She has definitely found a connection with Val, but I don't think she has with Louis. Let's just hope this was an off week for her, and not the beginning of a huge downfall.



Hayes Grier and Allison Holker
Viennese Waltz- Like I'm Gonna Lose You by Meghan Trainor featuring John Legend
Score: 8, 8, 7, 7 (30/40)
Hayes's Original Partner: Emma Slater (#TeamSlayes)

My first thoughts from right before these two started dances, I found the set to be amazing, and I think that both Hayes and Allison looked great. However, from an early part of this Viennese Waltz, I could tell that, like Tamar, he was off of his game as well. In his defense, Allison did put a whole lot of steps in the routine (maybe too many?). For the routine, though, my problem was not with the quantity of moves, but it was with the quality of the moves. To start off, it didn't look like much of a Viennese Waltz, but I could see this being a loose interpretation of one. For the few Viennese Waltz steps Hayes did do, he did so clumsily. He has had a problem with his feet for a while now, so I hope that Emma can address soon. I give Hayes and Allison's Viennese Waltz a 7. His footwork should be his main priority at the moment, but he definitely has to improve his upper body as well.



Paula Deen and Mark Ballas
Jive- Shake by Otis Redding
Score: 7, 7, 6, 6 (26/40)
Paula's Original Partner: Louis van Amstel (#TeamButtercup)

I can never get enough of Mark's crazy concepts! What I really like about what Mark did with Paula this week is that he took what Paula knew, and improved on it without stressing her out on other things. Of course there were absolutely zero kicks and flicks, but I think Mark was smart with having Paula nail simple steps, rather than mess-up on some other steps. And by the way, I am still speechless from Paula flashing mark. XD I give Paula and Mark a 6. I want Paula to be pushed more in next week so we can all see what she brings to the table.



Alek Skarlatos and Emma Slater
Rumba- Let it Go by James Bay
Score: 8, 7, 7, 7 (29/40)
Alek's Original Partner: Lindsay Arnold (#TeamTakedown)

Whether this "showmance" between Alek and Emma is staged or not, I love Alek and Emma's strong connection. Alek's technique has not really improved or worsened since last week, but his stage presence has improved immensely.  He still needs to work on the Latin basics, but he has little moments that are pretty much perfection in each of his routines. Now I want to see those moments more spread out and longer so he can have the same dance quality as other contestants such as Nick and Bindi. I give Alek and Emma's Rumba an 8. Alek has never had as strong of a connection with Lindsay as he has with Emma, so I hope he can transfer that passion from the one to the other.



Bindi Irwin and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Cha-Cha-Cha- Hold My Hand by Jess Glynne
Score: 9, 9, 10, 9 (37/40)
Bindi's Original Partner: Derek Hough (#TeamCrikey)

Bindi nails yet another dance! The music had a lot of low moments for a Cha-Cha-Cha, but Bindi and Val made it much more energetic with their high-spirit performance. Since week one, I have wondered if Bindi would be as good with Latin dances as she is with Ballroom, and the answer is yes. There is some serious competition in the ballroom, and I have a feeling that Bindi just might leave this season with a Mirror Ball Trophy! I give Bindi and Val's Cha-Cha-Cha a 9. Bindi lost balance at a few points, which is understandable, considering she had less than a week to get used to Val's style of dancing.



Carlos PenaVega and Lindsay Arnold
Quickstep- Bossa Nova Baby by Elvis Presley
Score: 10, 10, 9, 10 (39/40)
Carlos's Original Partner: Witney Carson (#TeamBrownSugar)

For a little while now, I have been worried that Carlos might be stuck in a zone that would not allow him to improve much on his dancing, but both he and Lindsay proved me wrong! This was the breakthrough that I have been waiting to see from Carlos! Lindsay did a great job with focusing on his top half, especially with fixing his shoulders. She is turning out to be a pro to watch out for, because if she makes it to the finale, she might just have a trick up her sleeve! She made Carlos go from great to amazing, which is hard to do in less than a week! I give Carlos and Lindsay's Quickstep a 10. I loved all of the elements of Charleston in this performance, which Carlos nailed, just like every other move in this dance!



Alexa PenaVega and Derek Hough
Tango- Pompeii by Bastille
Score: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40)
Alexa's Original Partner: Mark Ballas (#TeamBAEga)

I think that Alexa improved the most out of everyone during the Switch-Up. After last week's disaster, Alexa redeemed her with sharp technique, and much stronger hold. I do have to give some credit to Derek for that, because he showed that Alexa is a true competitor, and not just one of the two spouses of a married couple on this show. I absolutely loved the implement of the troupe in this dance, as well as the entire atmosphere of the stage. Although I personally would not take off points for a lift in a routine, I feel as though Carrie Ann is being very inconsistent with her judging for not taking off a point for the lift in this Tango. She has been doing this for a while now, and that leaves me to ponder why she would blatantly unfairly judge some of the contestants. I give Alexa and Derek's Tango a 10. Carlos and Alexa's scores are close, but at the moment, I think that Alexa has improved more than her husband has.



Andy Grammer and Sharna Burgess
Argentine Tango- Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd
Score: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)
Andy's Original Partner: Allison Holker (#TeamAndison)

I am so glad that Andy got Sharna as his partner. If there is a male celebrity that is lacking in technique, I know that Sharna is the pro to go to for help! This, to me, was the first time that Andy was not awkward at all on the dance floor. He followed Sharna well, and was the perfect leading man for her. I hope that Andy can keep up what he has learned from Sharna because this is the quality of dance that he needs to survive in the competition. I give Andy and Sharna's Argentine Tango a 9. He was just slightly off time with his legs, but he has improved his timing tremendously from week one.



Nick Carter and Witney Carson
Paso Doble- Don't Look Down by Martin Garrix featuring Usher
Score: 9, 9, 8, 9 (35/40)
Nick's Original Partner: Sharna Burgess (#TeamSharNick)

Sometimes I like a little bit of modernization in a dance style, but Nick and Witney might have gone a bit too far with creativity for this Paso Doble. First of all, I personally found the set to be quite dancing, but besides that, the dancing was less technical than I am used to seeing from Nick. Nick's lines were too jazzy at certain parts, and too robotic at other parts. I'm not quite sure what happened there, but Nick should probably focus on his standard basic technique in order for a great affect on his performance quality. I give Nick and Witney's Paso Doble an 8. Nick was awkward with his arms and core for the first time this season, so I really hope that he sticks to more traditional dancing in the future.






What were your thoughts on the Switch-Up Challenge? What do you think of the pairings that were put together? Next week is Famous Dances night with guest judge Olivia Newton-John, and guest host Leah Remini (filling in for Erin Andrews), celebrating different musical movie scenes and music videos from popular American culture.

Make sure you follow me on Twitter at @DWTS2015 for news, updates, and live tweets on Dancing With the Stars!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed ur blog. I still don't think Tamar has made a connection with Val - she never looks at him she has an aloof air about her.
    Carrie Ann always picks and chooses who she's going to call out for the lifts. I think it depends on what tptb agenda is.bbits not just Carrie Ann either all the judges seem to pick on certain people all the time I don't think any of the contestants are ever really fairly judged I feel it's predetermined as to
    Who will win and it's just a matter of time before tptb show their agenda. Sharna was
    Very good with Andy but I'm biased cuz I love sharna. Witneys chores seems pretty similar to other seasons with just a few tweaks here and there. I think both nick and Whitney were to blame for the failure of that routine. Sad to say that since I am team nick. I think Monday is going to be disastrous for some. Never been a fan of switch up week. Loved most of the pairings. Thanks for the Blog always Nice to Get other
    Perspectives

    ReplyDelete