Tuesday, March 17, 2015

DWTS 20- Week 1 Stats and Opinions

The Dancing With the Stars twentieth season premiered on Monday, and I think that it was the best premiere in DWTS history. I like how each contestant really entertained me, and have their own things that they are good at. I like when the contestants have room to grow in week one, because I like to them transition as dancers. So, here are the stats, an my opinions, of each contestant during week one of DWTS season 20!

Willow Shields and Mark Ballas- Cha Cha
Lips are Moving by Meghan Trainor
Score: 6, 6, 6, 7 (25)
My Score: 7
1-855-234-5612

First of all, I loved that Hunger Games bit that was before the dance. The dance itself, however, felt like it fell flat to me. I do have to give credit to both Willow and Mark for being the first dancers of season 20, but it was not a show-stopping premiere opening to me. I love the steps she took (especially the lock turns), and I even loved her enthusiasm.

Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson- Cha Cha
Bills by LunchMoney Lewis
Score: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28)
My Score: 7
1-855-234-5609

Robert definitely surprised me with this dance! I enjoyed this one so much, and I thought that the entire production was fantastic. He is so. . .what's the word? Suave? I don't know what the word is, but I know that he has it. I didn't think that I would like this couple as much as I do now, but now I am looking forward to their dance next week!

Riker Lynch and Allison Holker- Jive
What I Like About You by The Romantics
Score: 8, 7, 8, 8 (31)
My Score: 8
1-855-234-5608

This was the type of dance of wanted to see Cody Simpson and Witney Carson do in season 18. As I have stated many times on Twitter, I think that Riker and Allison have amazing chemistry. I do, as the judges said, want to see him do more of a ballroom or "subtle" dance for next time. I really hope, however, that Riker and Allison can pull this off in future weeks as well. I am a little worried that this might be another situation similar to what occurred with Jonathan and Allison last season.

Charlotte McKinney and Keoikantse Motsepe- Jive
Shake a Tail Feather by The Blues Brothers
Score: 6, 5, 5, 6 (22) Lowest Score of the Night
My Score: 5
1-855-234-5601

I really wanted Charlotte to do well, especially after Keo's uh-oh with Lolo last season. Charlotte is a good performer, but she is not a natural mover. She definitely has the wow factor in every sense of the word, but I feel like she messed up on even some of the most basic jive steps. I strongly feel as though this couple will be eliminated next week because they are tied for last place, and seem like they do not have as large of a fan base as some of the other couples.

Patti LaBelle and Artem Chigvintsev- Foxtrot
Lady Marmalade by LaBelle
Score: 7, 6, 6, 6 (25)
My Score: 7
1-855-234-5606

This is yet another couple that I loved to watch. Patti is great in hold, and has a great charm to her as well. She moves great for her age, and she looked so youthful on the dance floor. I feel as though this dance was underscored because her lines were clean, her frame was phenomenal, and she is wonderful at putting on a show for the audience. I also love the fact that she was about to cry tears of joy after dancing. So sweet!

Chris Soules and Witney Carson- Jive
Footloose by Kenny Loggins
Score: 7, 6, 6, 7 (26)
My Score: 7
1-855-234-5602

I do not know how I feel about this dance. Overall, I liked it. I am just a little confused on whether or not his movement was actually flow-y or not. I don't know how to explain this, but I feel as though Chris is uncomfortable with dancing. I also feel as though he was trying to hold back in order to be more sharp. I'm not sure if that is correct, but that is how I interpreted it. This is another contestant who does not naturally move, but I feel like he really has a good sense of rhythm. I can't wait to see what they showcase for us next time to see if he really breaks out of his shell or not.

Michael Sam and Peta Murgatroyd- Cha Cha
Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
Score: 6, 6, 7, 7 (26)
My Score: 8
1-855-234-5603

As much as I was not a fan of that creepy smile Michael had for half of the dance, this was probably my favorite dance of the night. I think that they were way underscored, and the comments were a little exaggerated. I did not think that his footwork was bad at all. Sure, he could polish it up a little bit, but his feet were a lot better than a lot of other people's feet. Throughout this entire night, people that I thought would not be memorable turned out to be some of my favorite contestants, such as Michael.

Nastia Liukin and Derek Hough- Foxtrot
New York, New York (FWB Remix) by Ray Quinn featuring Ultra Love
Score: 7, 7, 8, 8 (30)
My Score: 8
1-855-234-5604

I know that the show's Foxtrot dance style is supposed to be Americanized, but I would have preferred more hold in this routine. Besides that, I was enjoyed every second of this! I know that Carrie Ann called out the lift (as usual), but I feel like lifts should be accepted in certain dances as long as they are performed properly, and are not overused.

Redfoo and Emma Slater- Cha Cha
Juicy Wiggle by Redfoo
Score: 6, 5, 5, 6 (22) Lowest Score of the Night
My Score: 5
1-855-234-5607

I really thought that Redfoo would be more technical than this. Although I absolutely adore this couple, I hope that Redfoo will progress a lot through the weeks because I feel as though Emma would be showcased in a way that she has never been showcased on this show before. I thought that the technique was not good, but hey, it had the Juicy Wiggle in it. So who can complain about that? :P

Noah Galloway and Sharna Burgess- Cha Cha
I Lived by One Republic
Score: 7, 6, 6, 7(26)
My Score: 6
1-855-234-5605

First off, I think that Noah is one of the most heroic, inspirational, and incredible people to be on Dancing With the Stars. Dancing aside, I really think that Noah deserves all of the recognition that he gets, and then some. Although he is not a natural mover (which is understandable), I do think that he will get better as the weeks go by. This was a huge challenge for both Sharna and Noah (considering that they have to practically dance backwards and creatively), but I think that they will get used to it, and really impress the audience even more!

Suzanne Somers and Tony Dovilani- Cha Cha
Physical by Olivia Newton-John
Score: 6, 6, 6, 7 (25)
My Score: 5
1-855-234-5611

Tony is very creative when it comes to choreographing for "older" contestants, and this performance was no exception. Suzanne has a long way to go, but I feel like she will make some progress. I do feel, however, that this dance was over scored. Don't get me wrong; I thought that she did really well. However, I think that because she does so well, there should have been more content. I think that the song was a little slow for Cha Cha, so maybe that was part of it. Ultimately, I did think that this was an okay routine.

Rumer Willis and Valentin Chmerkovskiy- Foxtrot
Take Me to Church by Hozier
Score: 8, 8, 8, 8 (32) Highest Score of the Night
My Score: 8
1-855-234-5610

I had high hopes for Rumer, and she actually surpassed them! I really don't have anything major to say about this dance that was bad to me. This couple really deserved to receive the highest score of the night, and I hope they step it up even more in future weeks. My only concern is about their room to grow because the audience usually likes it when contestants have a story to watch about an okay dancer become a great dancer. I really want this duo to surprise us each and every week.



So what do you think of last night's performances? Make sure you vote for your favorite contestants, because every vote counts!

Make sure you follow me on Twitter @DWTS20 for more updates about Dancing With the Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment