Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Dancing With the Stars Season 22- Week 10, Night 1 (Finale) Breakdown [Bentley, Julia, and Angelina]

Can you believe that it is already the Finale of season 22 of Dancing With the Stars?! The finalists all brought their A-game for night one, and are sure to impress for the second night. Here are Angelina’s, Julia’s, and Bentley’s thoughts on the show!

[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli]


Redemption Dances

Ginger Zee and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Contemporary: Adventure of a Lifetime by Coldplay
Original Dance: Week 3 (Most Memorable Year Night) Contemporary
Judges’ Scores: 9, 10, 9 (28/30)
#TeamGinAndJuice 1(800)868-3404

I want to commend Ginger for dancing through her pain. She was elegant and beautiful. I personally think she did an amazing job and it showed her improvements through the season. There were a few technical errors though, but much, MUCH better than the week 3 contemporary.

This was a cool dance and Ginger did well with it, especially considering her injury! She was very smooth and elegant in her movements. I did notice one little movement issue but Ginger was still excellent. I’m starting to find val’s signature “fuse every dance together” thing a little old but Ginger executed the moves well.

Ginger and Val’s Contemporary was more of a Freestyle than their actual Freestyle, and I love that about this dance! It was the little things in this dance that made a big impact, such as their subtle implementations of the bench from the Samba, the fountain from their Foxtrot, the dress fluttering from their Paso Doble, the mirrors from their Viennese Waltz, and the lighting of their original Contemporary. It was something so perfectly fused together that I never seen as amazingly executed on this show before until this dance. If Ginger was in pain, I didn’t see it, because she was so much lighter in her movements and more connected with Val than she was with him at the beginning of the season. This was definitely a clever dance, and frankly, I feel like it was underscored.

Angelina’s Score: 9
Julia’s Score: 9
Bentley’s Score: 10

Nyle DiMarco and Peta Murgatroyd
Quickstep: S.O.B. by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Original Dance: Week 6 (Famous Dances Night) The Mask Quickstep
Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9 (27/30) Lowest-Scoring Redemption Dance
#RedefiningDance 1(800)868-3409

Though there was the mishap that the judges mentioned, but as Len said, he is “one heck of a dancer.” I liked Nyle’s dance because I feel like there has been a lot of the same kind of dancing so this was a nice upbeat refresher. To this day, I am still amazed how Nyle dances so wonderfully.

This was great! So much fun and I saw a lot of improvement from Nyle. His posture was much better tonight and seemed confident out there. He did stumble, but he recovered from it nicely.

Nyle had the most improvement out of all of the other finalists by far. While his original Quickstep was all over the place, this routine blew the other performance away with how clean and controlled it was. There was a bit of a gap between Nyle and Peta, but everything from the waist down was spot on. Nyle has come such a long way, and this performance shows that he was not only just a great dancer with a lot of voters at the beginning, but he worked hard and was humble enough to improve on himself. That, my friends, is true star quality.

Angelina’s Score: 9
Julia’s Score: 9
Bentley’s Score: 9

Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas
Salsa: Fireball by Pitbull
Original Dance: Week 2 (Latin Night) Salsa with Alan Bersten
Judges’ Scores: 10, 9, 10 (29/30) Highest-Scoring Redemption Dance
#PowRightInTheKisser 1(800)868-3410

I really can’t agree with what Len said about Paige not having enough hip action. I think she delivered just the right amount of everything. She did a beautiful job and I love how she can go from fiery to elegant in a minute.

Paige nailed this Salsa! She brought the fire while having amazing technique! And she seemed to be having a lot of fun dancing it! I especially loved that the included the move Mark got hurt doing last time they did this style, even though I was nervous he would get hurt again. Great performance!

Even though Paige lit the studio on fire with her Latin heat in her Salsa during week two with Alan, Paige showed refinement and attention to detail this time around. I honestly can’t say what I haven’t already said about her week after week, with her beautiful execution of every step, and her ability to make me smile with a simple underarm pass. The lifts were phenomenal, the temperature was burning to 108 degrees, and she overall just rocked it. With Mark’s amazing teaching skills, she is able to do anything. Paige is a dancing machine!

Angelina’s Score: 10
Julia’s Score: 10
Bentley’s Score: 10

Angelina’s Ranking of the Finale Redemption Dances
1. Paige & Mark
2. Ginger & Val
3. Nyle & Peta

Julia’s Ranking of the Finale Redemption Dances
1. Paige & Mark
2. Ginger & Val
3. Nyle & Peta

Bentley’s Ranking of the Finale Redemption Dances
1. Paige & Mark
2. Ginger & Val
3. Nyle & Peta

Freestyle Dances

Ginger Zee and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Freestyle: Orange Colored Sky by Nat King Cole
Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) Highest-Scoring Freestyle
#TeamGinAndJuice 1(800)868-3404

I have to agree with Bruno, that this is a style that really works with Ginger. Like Carrie Ann said, the classic style for the dance is what this show is based on and I was so happy to see that some of the dancers really are sticking with its roots. I felt Ginger’s personality really did fit very well and I didn’t see any technical errors or any errors that stood out to me.

This type of routine is what I eagerly await to see on Dancing With the Stars, and I was excited to see what Ginger and Val would do with it. I’m very into the Old Hollywood-style dances so I was ready to be amazed. However, it seems like Val has still yet to figure out how to knock a non-Contemporary Freestyle out of the park. A good chunk of this routine consisted of Ginger and Val just sort of walking around. The part in hold was good, but the tap sections were just awkward and out-of sync, and it just didn’t really come together. Ginger was actually able to “act” very well in this performance, but the choreography just wasn’t that great. I think if they had used this routine as a Jazz redemption dance (I’m pretty sure this season the Redemption Round styles were chosen by the couples and not the show’s producers) and done something a bit more powerful and “gut-punching” for a Freestyle this may have been more well-received, but I just didn’t buy this dance as their grand finale. (As a side note, I found it strange that Ginger and Val were dressed in sepia tones but the background had color. One or the other would have worked, but trying to do both made the number look a bit messy to me.)

I had such high expectations to see a right-in-your-face Freestyle that is dedicated to the one and only Fred Astaire. But, while they were able to capture the Fred Astaire vibe, they didn’t quite have a lot of moments that made me genuinely amazed. Some of the motions were a bit sporadic, but other times were the complete opposite, having little or no movement whatsoever. Nonetheless, Ginger and Val really pulled off their steps well, even though there was a loss of containment in the hypergenic steps. This was a great routine, but it was just not my cup of tea. But on the bright side, the Foxtrot portion was terrific, and the scenery added a bit of a touch that added some much needed flavor to the number.

Angelina’s Score: 10
Julia’s Score: 8
Bentley’s Score: 9

Nyle DiMarco and Peta Murgatroyd
Freestyle: The Sound of Silence by Disturbed
Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) Highest-Scoring Freestyle
#RedefiningDance 1(800)868-3409

At first I didn’t really connect with the dance, but as it went on, I began to tear up. I am so inspired by Nyle’s dancing and this dance was definitely not the same or bland.

This dance was great because it told a story, had creative and original movements, and was well-executed. Unfortunately, there were some sections that were out-of-sync, that I don’t think were supposed to be. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it “the best dance on this show” but it was really good and I know I’ll be rewatching it again and again!

I have never seen such an artistic style to a dance piece like this before, combining emotions that are not quite typically seen in such a style. Those movements were freakin’ incredible, especially because that was such unique and astonishing choreography for such a unique and astonishing couple. After that routine, I thought to myself that that was the best Contemporary-style performance I have ever seen on the show. Then Carrie Ann said that it was the best dance on the show, period, which, in hindsight, I might actually agree with. The flaming piano, the transitions from static to flowy, the way that such powerful emotion was embodied into a tiny package of a release of energy-- it was all just mesmerizing. The choreographer of this dance should absolutely win an award for such a breathtaking perspective to such an empowering ballad. I haven’t felt so transported and hypnotized by a routine like this since Nick Carter’s Viennese Waltz last season. Performances like these only happen every so often, and Nyle and Peta showed how their relationship is a rarity.

Angelina’s Score: 10
Julia’s Score: 9
Bentley’s Score: 10

Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas
Freestyle: Over the Rainbow by BC Jean
Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) Highest-Scoring Freestyle
#PowRightInTheKisser 1(800)868-3410

This dance was stunning and beautiful! I was so impressed with Paige. I never would’ve thought that a UFC fighter would be able to show such elegance and beauty, it’s just something I wouldn’t have expected. I was so impressed by this dance and again by how much improvement Paige has made. Her technique and steps with the movements were spot on. Len couldn’t complain about not enough hip action.

I was afraid this dance was going to be boring, especially after the magnificence that was Nyle and Peta’s Freestyle. However, this dance was another breathtaking one. I did not expect this couple to take the stripped down path for their Freestyle but I think it turned out to be a good choice for them because they did wonderful with it! It truly highlighted how Paige has grown over the season, initially having difficulty connecting with her partner and fearing being lifted to doing both in this dance spectacularly!

First of all, let me just give a round of applause to BC Jean for that wonderful live performance! I love her so much! As for Paige, this was the perfect way to end the chapter of her experience on Dancing With the Stars, even though she still has another dance to do tomorrow! This amazing woman has such a shining personality, so I hope that being on this show has boosted her self-confidence, because she is truly something special. Each line flowed as softly and smoothly as the tears of all of the haters that regretted bullying her in the past. It was such a touching experience to witness such a progression of a person as a dancer and as a human being. It was so touching that Mark cried, because the only time he has ever cried was for Anna Trebunskaya’s Waltz with Jonathan Roberts in season fourteen. That just goes to show how strong of a bond Paige and Mark have, and how special their relationship is beyond the dance floor. Stunning.

Angelina’s Score: 10
Julia’s Score: 10
Bentley’s Score: 10


Angelina’s Ranking of the Finale Freestyle Dances
1. Paige & Mark
2. Nyle & Peta
3. Ginger & Val

Julia’s Ranking of the Finale Freestyle Dances
1. Paige & Mark
2. Nyle & Peta
3. Ginger & Val

Bentley’s Ranking of the Finale Freestyle Dances
1. Nyle & Peta
2. Paige & Mark
3. Ginger & Val


Total Combined Scores From the Semifinals and Night 1 of the Finale
Paige & Mark 30/30 + 29/30 + 29/30 + 30/30 = 118/120
Ginger & Val 27/30 + 29/30 + 28/30 + 30/30 = 114/120
Nyle & Peta 27/30 + 30/30 + 27/30 + 30/30 = 114/120


Other Thoughts From Week 10, Night 1

- No opening number. . . :(

- The one for tomorrow night’s show looks really good though. :)

- I think tonight confirmed that other than the team dances, they are never going to give a Freestyle routine less than a perfect score again unless there are obviously major issues with one. I (and a lot of others) think Ginger’s Freestyle was nowhere near the level of the other two last night but the judges gave all three of them a perfect score. They’ve given every finalist a perfect score on their Freestyle since Season 19. That’s four seasons in a row where they all got 10’s, and it seems highly doubtful to me that all 14 of those routines were truly on the same level of quality.

- Alright, the 24-Hour Fusion Dance Challenge is back, where the couples will have less than a day to create and perform a routine that combines two different dance styles that they have already performed this season. Usually the Fusion dances are only just okay, but every once in awhile, there is a gem of a performance that makes me surprised that it was rehearsed in less than twenty-four hours.

- They only have 24 hours to prepare a dance again? Then what was Mark doing singing with BC during the All Access post-show? Bad Mark! And yeah, I usually don’t care about the Fusion round too much. I really liked Bindi and Derek’s Fusion dance from last season though.

- Night one of the finale was actually very jam-packed in just the one hour that it had to cover six dances. In all honesty, these finalists are all deserving of the Mirror Ball Trophy, but my heart is set on Paige and Mark winning. I would like Nyle to win, too, just because of how amazing he is, and how much he has grown this season.

- Yes, tonight did feel very hectic. I don’t like when they have to do the one-hour Night 1 Finals episodes because I never feel like I have time to digest anything that’s presented when they have to do one routine every ten minutes (I know it’s like that in the early weeks as well but at least the dances are shorter then). The two-hour four-couple Finals episodes are much more enjoyable to me because it’s one routine every fifteen minutes which leaves me much more “breathing room” as a viewer and gives me time to fully appreciate what I’m watching.

- After tonight, I’m set on Paige and Mark winning as well. If Nyle and Peta take it I’ll understand why but I think Paige and Mark deserve it the most out of the three. And during tonight’s show I was wishing even more that WanyĆ” and Lindsay had made it to the final 3 over Ginger and Val.

- I can’t wait to see the entire cast back tomorrow for night two of the Finale! I’m going to miss this cast, just like I always do, but I am already pumped for season 23!

- My final prediction for the top three finalists is that Nyle will be in first place, Paige will be second, and Ginger will be third. The top three can go any way, really, but I doubt Ginger will be first.

- I agree; I think you will probably be right but it is possible the top two could be opposite in the end. I highly doubt Ginger is getting any better than third, though.

- I don’t know about who will come in first because recently I’ve read so many comments of people thinking that Nyle will be in second just because his dancing hasn’t had that wow factor in their opinions.

- Oh by the way, did anyone else catch Sasha flip the bird to the camera last night? XD

- LOL no, but I saw that Sasha’s middle finger is your profile picture, haha. What a savage. :P I just now watched the video of him in Paige’s Salsa flipping the bird, but I think he meant to that thing where they reel in the audience with their pointer finger, but I’m not too sure about that, LOL.


DWTS Finalists.jpg



What did you think of the first night of the Finale on Dancing With the Stars? Who do you think themselves the most last night during the Redemption Dances? Which couple do you think had the best and most original Freestyle dance? Who do you want win season 22 of DWTS? What do you think the placement of the top three couples will be at the end? Who do you think will bring the best Fusion Dance for the second night of the finale? Which couple do you think will make the biggest impression on this show after this season is all over?

For more about Dancing With the Stars, follow the DWTS 2016 Twitter page at @DWTS2016. Also, follow Angelina Mikheeva on Twitter at @angelinarose42, follow Julia Delbel on Twitter at @juliadelbel and on Tumblr at forevertrueblue, and follow Paul Bentley on Twitter at @TheBentleyNinja!

No comments:

Post a Comment