Monday, May 2, 2016

Julia's Thoughts on Doug and Karina

This week Doug Flutie and Karina Smirnoff were booted from the Dancing With the Stars ballroom, finishing the season in 9th place.



When it was first announced that Doug was going to be on Dancing With the Stars I was intrigued because I thought having three football players, each in different stage of their career, would make that "gimmick" more interesting. We had Antonio, a wide receiver on a very popular team likely approaching his very prime moment as a player, Von, who had just experienced a career highlight as 2016's Superbowl MVP, and Doug, who is retired from football after a career of playing on various leagues and teams. In the clips I'd seen before the season premiere, Doug and Karina seemed to be enjoying being a team so I was excited to see them on the actual show!

While their first dance didn't go too well, I was confident Doug and Karina would be able to last a few weeks beyond the first elimination. I loved that Doug was just himself throughout his time on the show and wasn't afraid to be vulnerable. Karina was a wonderful and patient teacher for him and I was so happy they got to share this experience together.

I think their best dance was the Bollywood number. But my favorite was the Mary Poppins dance. It truly captured the spirit of the movie and I've probably watched that one more than any other dance this season so far!

I think they were eliminated around the right time because the pressure seemed to be getting to Doug. But I'm glad he was able to enjoy this experience and let his wonderful personality shine for us!

Week 7 will be a double elimination so I'll probably do one post covering multiple couples like last time. Oh wait, Kim and Sasha are probably going to be one of them so never mind. I'll try to save this week's "Thoughts On" posts until after the main recap is posted but it'll depends on how long that takes to get up on the blog. See you then and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment