Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Dancing With the Stars Season 23- Week 11, Night 1 (Finale) Review [Angelina, Bentley, Fangirl, Julia]

The finale has finally come! Night one of the Dancing With the Stars season 23 finale proved to be challenging for all four finalists, but they ended the night with a bang when it came to the Freestyles!

How here we go! Here are Angelina Mikheeva’s, Julia Delbel’s, Fangirl’s, and Paul Bentley’s thoughts on the Monday night performances!

[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli]




Judges’ Choice Redemption Dances

The couples performed a new dance with a dance style that they have done previously, chosen by the judges, expecting to improve from last time.




Calvin Johnson, Jr. and Lindsay Arnold
Viennese Waltz: I Am Your Man by Ryan Shaw
Original Dance: Viennese Waltz from the Face-Off Challenge (Week 3)
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 9, 9, 9 (35/40) Tied For Lowest Redemption Dance Score
#TeamLindsatron 1(800)868-3403

Julia: Watching the package (which was pretty funny by the way) I’ve finally realized something about Calvin that has just seemed off to me for most of this season: he’s very tall (I did noticed that part before!) so he often forgets to look at Lindsay and solidify their connection in the dance. He still had a little difficulty with that in the beginning, but improved on it as the dance went on. The rest was about as good as his last one, but seeing how good that dance was that’s a positive thing!
Julia’s Score: 9

Angelina: This was a very beautiful Viennese Waltz. I really have enjoyed watching Calvin & Lindsay dance this season. I think it was a little unfair towards Carrie Ann’s point take-off because it was a mistake that was practically missed, and Calvin is the main one to be scored, it seemed unnecessary.
Angelina’s Score: 9

Fangirl:  Watching the package I realized how far Calvin has come since week 1. I am so proud of him and how hard he was worked this season. He delivered such a beautiful Viennese waltz with great emotion and passion. His arm placement was a little off and his shoulders were up in some parts of the dance. I have disagree with Carrie Ann that was not a “lift” and am very disappointed that one small move affected their scores. He needs to work on gliding his feet on the floor vs stepping but overall what a wonderful start to the finals.
Fangirl’s Score: 9

Paul Bentley: Despite seeing a lot dances like this from Calvin this season, I found myself in love with this Viennese Waltz! Calvin is the perfect frame for Lindsay, even if he is several inches taller than her. Calvin has the ability to be smooth on the dancefloor while not looking lazy, showing off energy through his soft technique and lines. His feet were a bit beneath him at certain points, especially when he was stomping around Lindsay with that one spin towards the end. Nonetheless, this was a beautiful Viennese Waltz, even though it might not have stood out from some of the other dances of the night.
Bentley’s Score: 9




Jana Kramer and Gleb Savchenko
Tango: Stay the Night by Zedd featuring Hayley Williams
Original Dance: Tango from TV Night (Week 2)
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 9, 9, 9 (35/40) Tied For Lowest Redemption Dance Score
#TeamGlamer 1(800)868-3406

Angelina: I was really glad that Gleb could perform this dance. I enjoyed the modern take on the tango. Definitely a much better improvement from Week 1. The chemistry between Jana & Gleb is overwhelming, it just wasn’t very shown in this dance as much as I know they can. This has been a very tough season with Jana because of the switch in partners. She truly does have a great determination. Though the chemistry wasn’t as sexy as the first time around, it was much cleaner and slicker as Bruno had said. I have to agree with Len that if you are spinning and your foot happens to come off the ground, it should not be counted as a lift.
Angelina’s Score: 9

Fangirl: I just wanna say how proud I am of Jana. She is such a positive light and she has gone through so much this season and handled it like a pro. I know how hard it was for her to dance with Alan and not Gleb for some of the week. I have to disagree with the judges though. With how little training Jana got with Gleb I think she killed it. It was cleaner than the first time and she displayed passion and intensity. I do think she has to work on keeping the same amount power throughout the entire routine.
Fangirl’s Score: 9

Julia: I was so sad when I heard Gleb was sick this week, but I was glad he was able to perform for the last week! This was an improvement from their first Tango. Jana showed much more confidence in this one, even though they were out of sync a bit. And BLESS LEN FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH ABOUT LIFT RULES.
Julia’s Score: 9

Paul Bentley: Because the Tango is a dance of traveling, it was a bit too cramped on the small stage for Jana and Gleb to expand and make big movements without being nervous of falling off of the platform; I was glad when they finally got off of there! Jana has definitely learned how to contain her energy with such powerful dances, which is great because that started to become distracting. Jana was a bit shaky at moments and nearly couldn’t keep up with Gleb. But she was able to keep her composure, even after some minor difficulties.
Bentley’s Score: 9




Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Paso Doble: Wicked Ones by Dorothy
Original Dance: Paso Doble from Most Memorable Year Night (Week 5)
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 10, 9, 10 (38/40) Highest Redemption Dance Score
#TeamValaur 1(800)868-3407

Angelina: This paso gave me chills. It was so clean, precise, and intense, I truly believed Laurie could’ve been the pro in this dance couple. She really connected with Val and it was stunning.
Angelina’s Score: 10

Fangirl: This past was absolutely incredible. She looked like a pro out there. That was such a mind blowing routine filled with such clean and precise movements. Her shapes were incredible and I can tell how hard she worked to achieve those shapes. That was just such an incredible routine and I can't believe it didn't get a perfect score.
Fangirl’s Score: 10

Julia: This Paso had so much power and attack and Laurie hit every move expertly! I did notice a moment when she was out-of-sync with Val, though, and something that was possibly a lift. If they had to call out Calvin and Lindsay and Jana and Gleb for ACCIDENTAL lifts, they should have at least questioned what Laurie and Val did. I’m glad it showed in the scores, though.
Julia’s Score: 9

Paul Bentley: I agree, Julia. There was a very obvious lift that is technically not supposed to be in the Paso Doble, but Carrie Ann didn’t call it out, yet was harsh on Calvin and Jana for their lifts?! Inconsistent much?! Personally, I don’t mind small lifts here and there as long as they are not overused. Just like in her last Paso Doble, Laurie was fierce and stood her own ground! She and Val work as a unit, and through their connection, they were able to match perfectly both technique-wise and performance-wise. This dance was wickedly phenomenal!
Bentley’s Score: 10




James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess
Foxtrot: It Had to Be You by Harry Connick, Jr.
Original Dance: Foxtrot from the Premiere (Week 1)
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9, 10 (37/40)
#TeamStopAndGo 1(800)868-3405

Angelina: James’s frame was perfect. I truly agree with the statement that he is the best male dancer this show has ever had. I am very impressed with James. His footwork was very clean and precise and there definitely was a lot of improvement.
Angelina’s Score: 9

Fangirl: I am very impressed with how far James has come. He is such a hard worker and he continues to raise the bar each week. This dance was packed with foxtrot content and clean lines and precise footwork. I really loved this simple routine and it perfectly suited James.
Fangirl’s Score: 9

Paul Bentley: I can appreciate not going crazy for a dance in the finale, and just keeping it simple like James and Sharna did. There was just enough Foxtrot content in this dance for me, but with the long beginning scene, they were beginning to push it! James was superb with his impressive frame and ability to flow with all of his transitions. I just hate the fact that there was a slight stumble near the end! While it did look like the mistake was more Sharna’s fault than James’s, it was a team effort, so that means that when it comes to the scores, James is just as accountable as Sharna. But hey, this Foxtrot was pretty darn terrific. I especially liked it because James embodied the type of character I am in real life!
Bentley’s Score: 9

Julia: That beginning scene wasn’t nearly as long as their Tango, Bentley, so I’ll take it! I loved the content in this dance and the characters James and Sharna played. I believe the slip was caused by Sharna but I’m not really sure so I’ll leave the score as a 9. Apart from all the slips, accidental lifts, purposeful lifts, and off-balance moments in the redemption round, I think James and Sharna gave the strongest performance of the four, though it was very close between them and Laurie and Val!
Julia’s Score: 9




Rankings of the Finale Redemption Dances

Angelina
1. Laurie & Val
2. James & Sharna
3. Jana & Gleb
4. Calvin & Lindsay

Fangirl
1. Laurie & Val
2. James & Sharna
3. Jana & Gleb
4. Calvin & Lindsay

Julia
1. James & Sharna
2. Laurie & Val
3. Calvin & lindsay
4. Jana & Gleb

Paul Bentley
1. Laurie & Val
2. James & Sharna
3. Jana & Gleb
4. Calvin & Lindsay




The Freestyles

The couples had complete creative control with their Freestyle dances.




Jana Kramer and Gleb Savchenko
Freestyle: Unstoppable by Sia
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40) Lowest Freestyle Score
#TeamGlamer 1(800)868-3406

Angelina: I always love when Jana does something in the style of contemporary. It was so powerful and made me feel the pain of how hard this journey has been. There was a small stumble in the dance but I love the risk that Jana took and for that I commend her.
Angelina’s Score: 9

Fangirl: Jana is so sweet and such a fighter. She represents courage, strength, and perseverance and I feel like this dance captivated all of these emotions.  Jana and Gleb have such a strong connection which was showcased beautifully during this routine. She gives me chills. I have to agree with Paul I think the cloth was a great prop that helped tell the story of the dance. All of the obstacles Jana has been through has helped her become such an incredible person and dancer. I am going to miss Jana so much and I am so sad she is not in the final three.
Fangirl’s Score: 9

Paul Bentley: Contemporary is probably the hardest dance style to make interesting with just two bodies dancing as one, so it takes some creativity and strong connections to make it something special. And this was one special Contemporary-style Freestyle! The cloth prop was used tastefully, instead of it just being a gimmick. Most of the lifts were executed beautifully, but two of them showed hesitation and a slight lack of balance. But all in all, Jana and Gleb’s emotions powered through and made for a well-executed showstopper! I did expect Jana to be eliminated before the final three, but I would be lying if I said that I am not going to miss Jana and Gleb’s amazing connection-- it is some of the best chemistry I have ever seen on this show!
Bentley’s Score: 9

Julia: I feel like this was the kind of Freestyle we’ve been seeing way too often lately and probably lost some of its impact because of that, but I like that they at least tried to make it a little different with the tether. The problem was, I don’t think they had enough time to get it right. The choreography was pretty good but there were a few stumbles and I wish it’d been a bit more polished.
Julia’s Score: 9




Calvin Johnson, Jr. and Lindsay Arnold
Freestyle: Please Mr. Postman by The Marvelettes, and I Want You Back by The Jackson 5
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40) Tied For Highest Freestyle Score
#TeamLindsatron 1(800)868-3403

Angelina: Calvin’s energy and smile is infectious. It seemed like toward the end he was losing that power which I wish he had kept up. Otherwise, it was done in an extremely good manner, and I enjoyed it very much. His technique was very well done and the tricks were executed perfectly.
Angelina’s Score: 10

Fangirl: This was a very typical freestyle filled with troupe dancers and a huge creative and I loved it. Calvin has continued to break barriers and get out of his comfort zone. This was such a cute dance and Lindsay did a great job choreographing to his strengths. Calvin has such an incredible energy and it really showed during this routine. He killed this dance and he should be so proud of himself. I loved the treadmill section and the tricks!
Fangirl’s Score: 10

Paul Bentley: This was the type of dance that I think of when I think about Freestyles! Calvin and Lindsay pushed the limits by taking some risks, and it all payed off! Calvin was once again smooth in all of his movements, making every difficult move that he executed look effortless! The treadmill scene was my favorite part of the entire Freestyle-- it’s such a simple concept, but it made for some cool effects! Calvin absolutely crushed this dance, not leaving a single hand gesture to be left without full execution!
Bentley’s Score: 10

Julia: This Freestyle was so fresh and cool! It captured the essence of Calvin and Lindsay’s partnership perfectly! I liked that they used the conveyor belts while not having them overwhelm the piece. This dance made me so happy and I’ve already watched it so many times, just like many of Team Lindsatron’s other routines!
Julia’s Score: 10




Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Freestyle: Brand New by Ben Rector
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40) Tied For Highest Freestyle Score
#TeamValaur 1(800)868-3407

Angelina: This was a very uplifting dance. Laurie truly was flawless along with her technique. I am glad to see her smiling and having a blast which is what this show should be.  
Angelina’s Score: 10

Fangirl: Laurie makes me smile from ear to ear. She is absolutely adorable and I strive to be as a incredible person as she is. At such a young age, she has learned to pushed through challenges and break barriers and not everyone at 16 can say they have done that! I loved all the props and it was such a visually appealing dance. Val killed it with choreography and creative yet again!!
Fangirl’s Score:

Paul Bentley: Laurie is such a juggernaut of energy! I can tell that she was happy while performing her Freestyle, and that in itself made me smile! The Autumn set was very visually appealing, and it was all made complete with the interactive playground props. This dance was full of youth and overall was a feel-good performance! With Laurie and Val dancing in such a happy and energetically youthful way for this performance, it reminded me of Charles Schultz's Peanuts comic/cartoon. It was childish, but in a universal way for everyone to enjoy!
Bentley’s Score: 10

Julia: I loved the set and tone of this piece. It suited Laurie very well. And I thought it was cool they threw a few gymnastics moves in there but a variety of other things too! I’ve made it clear I haven’t been very impressed with Val’s choreography for previous Freestyle rounds, but this time he really came through for Laurie. Great routine.
Julia’s Score: 10




James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess
Freestyle: Beethoven’s 5 Secrets by The Piano Guys
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40) Tied For Highest Freestyle Score
#TeamStopAndGo 1(800)868-3405

Angelina: This dance reminded me as to why I love dance so much. It was such a pleasure to watch. I agree with Carrie Ann that I have yet to see a better freestyle in all 23 seasons of watching. It truly was remarkable and James is one of the most inspiring men I have ever seen.
Angelina’s Score: 10

Fangirl: This dance made me speechless I literally have chills. This was the best freestyle that I have seen in all the seasons of Dancing with the Stars. It was a visual masterpiece. I loved the voice overs and it creative such a personal piece. There is no words to express how much I loved this dance.
Fangirl’s Score:10

Paul Bentley: Right when I think I’ve seen it all, James and Sharna come out with this creative masterpiece! Sometimes I think that doing emotional performances like this are a bit overdone, but not this time! The voiceover of James at the beginning and the end was very original and was used in a sentimental way, rather than in a cheesy way. I love the story that was told by this dance, and I love every element that was put into it. I was blown away. And I just have to say, those white outfits on James and Sharna look very flattering on them!
Bentley’s Score: 10

Julia: I liked that James and Shara decided to do a different take on the “emotional Freestyle” we so often see nowadays. Usually they are Contemporary routines, but this one had elements from a variety of Ballroom and Latin dances. The spoken parts at the beginning and end were very impactful, and I liked the matter-of-fact and positive tone they gave the piece instead of the sappiness we usually see from this kind of Freestyle. I do wish they’d gone a different route with the set and costumes, though, because it wasn’t very VISUALLY different from the cliched type of Freestyles I’ve been talking about, but that didn’t affect the actual DANCING, so I still found it to be pretty fresh.
Julia’s Score: 10




Rankings of the Finale Freestyle Dances

Angelina
1. James & Sharna
2. Laurie & Val
3. Jana & Gleb
4. Calvin & Lindsay

Fangirl
1. James  Sharna
2. Laurie & Val
3. Jana & Gleb
4. Calvin & Lindsay

Paul Bentley
1. James & Sharna
2. Calvin & Lindsay
3. Laurie & Val
4. Jana & Gleb

Julia
1. Calvin & Lindsay
2. James & Sharna
3. Laurie & Val
4. Jana & Gleb




Total Combined Scores For Night 1 of the Finale

Laurie and Val 38/40 + 40/40 = 78/80
James and Sharna 37/40 + 40/40 = 77/80
Calvin and Lindsay 35/40 + 40/40 = 75/80
Jana and Gleb 35/40 + 36/40 = 71/80 Eliminated- 4th Place




Top 3 Finale Predictions

Angelina: I think that Laurie & Val will come in first place, James & Sharna in second, and Calvin & Lindsay in third.

Paul Bentley: I’m going to say that because Calvin and Lindsay got a relatively low score for his redemption dance, plus since I don’t see as much enthusiasm for him as Laurie and James, that he will come in third place. And really, between Laurie and James, it is all fair game. This might be my bias for James saying this, but I think that James and Sharna will have just enough votes to come in first place, making Laurie and Val come in second place.

Fangirl:  After tonight's competition I think it is clear that Calvin and Lindsay are at the bottom of the pack. Their low scores support the fact that they the most likely pick for third place. As for 1st and second I feel like it could go either way. James has proved he could win but it could be Laurie too. It just depends how how big their fanbase is and how many votes they get.

Julia: Calvin and Lindsay will get third. Beyond that I don’t know. I think voting between Laurie and James is very close and it’s very possible James got more votes than Laurie but not quite enough to cover the (very small) spread required for him to win.



MVP (Most Valuable Pro) Choices For Week 11, Night 1

Angelina: My MVP for this week is Gleb Savchenko! He has had some tough challenges this season with being sick and injured so many times but he always found the strength and got back in the game!

Paul Bentley: I have to choose Sharna Burgess as my MVP this week for bringing the very best out of James. Not only was her Foxtrot with James adorable and fun, but her Freestyle with him was like something I have never seen before! When she choreographs, she tries to make her partner look the best he can, and Sharna always accomplishes that!

Fangirl:  My MVP this week is Val Chmerkovskiy. I am so proud of him and all the week he has put in this season. He has really proven himself as a mentor and choreographer. He continues to raise the bar each week and create incredible pieces. He loves Laurie so much and the love he has for her is so heartwarming. I love it so much.

Julia: Every season leading up to the Freestyle round we hear a bunch of hype about how everyone is going to do something that has “never been done on the show before!”. Far too often couples come up short on this promise, but this week Lindsay Arnold really came through with the use of the conveyor belts! The rest of that number was awesome as well. And I also have to give her props for working hard to help James improve with his redemption dance tonight, and with all his performances this season!




Additional Comments

Paul Bentley: I just have to point out that while I was live tweeting about the finale last night on Twitter, I meant to tag James Hinchcliffe in a tweet, but I instead accidentally tagged James Turner, one of favorite YouTubers ever. James Turner tweeted to me about my mistake. . . So it take me messing up a tweet to get a mention from one of my favorite gaming YouTubers on Twitter. *facepalm*

Julia: Loved the La La Land pro dance and can’t wait for the movie to come out!

Paul Bentley: Finals already?! I do have to say that night one had some pretty memorable performances! I can’t wait to see what is in store for night two! And I hope to see some variety in those Fusion dances!

Paul Bentley: Random note. Why did Erin wear a dress where she couldn’t move her arms? Weird.




Follow Us on Twitter! (links)
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Fangirl: @24_7dwts
Katie Henry: @katiegotbandzz
Angelina Mikheeva: @angelinarose42
The DWTS 2016 Social Square (run by Paul Bentley): @DWTS2016




What did you think of the first night of the season 23 finale of Dancing With the Stars? Who do you think improved the most from the judges’ choice Redemption Dances in the first round? Which Freestyle was your favorite? What did you think of Jana and Gleb’s elimination, coming short of the Mirror Ball Trophy? Which couple do you think will come in third place? Which couple do you think will come in second place? Who do you think will be the winners of the season 23, winning the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy?

Tuesday night is the second and final night of the season 23 DWTS finale! This season’s cast of celebrities and pros will come back for a reunion and some more dancing. Plus, there will be some special live performances from some more musical guests! Then, the final three couples will compete in the 24-Hour Fusion Dance Challenge, where they will each have less than twenty-four hours to create a routine that combines two different dance styles, and perform them live on the show. And finally, the winners of season 23 will be announced, giving them this season’s Mirror Ball Trophy!


DWTS Final 4.jpg

DWTS Jana Elimination.jpg

#DWTS #DWTS23

DWTS Trophy.png

No comments:

Post a Comment