Friday, November 4, 2016

Dancing With the Stars Season 23- Week 8 (Halloween Night) Review [Bentley, Julia]

The ballroom went from Latin heels to witch boots and glittering stages to smokey sets with Halloween Night on Dancing With the Stars!

So let’s jump right into it! Here are Julia Delbel’s and Paul Bentley’s thoughts on the spooky night of performances!




Individual Halloween Dances

For the first round of dances, each couple danced a style of dance to a Halloween theme.

[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli]




Terra Jolé and Sasha Farber
Cha-Cha-Cha: Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) by Harry Belafonte
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 8, 8 (24/30)
#TeamXL 1(800)868-3412

Paul Bentley: It was fun to see Terra and Sasha act some more, like they did with their Quickstep, but there was a severe lack of Cha-Cha-Cha content because of the set. It’s unfortunate, too, because I can tell that Terra’s Latin technique has become more polished than what it was before. I also noticed how Terra is perfecting being able to do her turns and transitions with a lot more ease. Her arms, though, were just shot out at certain points, rather than extended behind her. There were moments were Terra was trying to keeping up with the music as well, but it was a whole lot better this time around than last time. The dance was fun, but at this point of the competition, it is dangerous to play it safe.
Bentley’s Score: 8

Julia: This was another great example of Terra embodying the character of a dance so well. The song was strange, but Sasha made it work pretty well and I appreciated how well this number kept with the theme. I would have liked to have seen more content of the assigned style but I understand the song was pretty mundane and kept to the same tempo the whole time so I understood why this route was taken. I thought the content she did do was executed fantastically so as with previous routines we’ve seen from various couples this season with this issue I’m taking that into account for my score.
Julia’s Score: 9



Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Viennese Waltz: Pure Imagination by Jane Monheit
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) Tied For Highest Individual Dance Score
#TeamValaur 1(800)868-3407

Paul Bentley: This Viennese Waltz was absolutely stunning and was absolutely one of Laurie’s best dances on the show. It was sweet like candy, and the the footwork was quite dandy. This dance was delicate and flowy. . . for the most part. Towards the middle of the dance, I thought there were just a couple lines that were a little bit rigid, and a few dips in hold that could have been more steady. It’s dances like these that I wish I could give half points, because I would not give it a ten, but I also think a 9 is a little low. So, since I know that Laurie is able to adapt to dances more and is very capable of improving, I decided to give her a 9. She and Val put a beautiful twist on Halloween Night and ended up creating a nice little story.
Bentley’s Score: 9

Julia: The package before this performance was very strange and I didn’t quite understand what was going on, but I’m guessing it was just trying to show us that Val has gotten very invested in this season as he usually does, which is a good thing for sure! I liked that the theme was incorporated into this dance without overpowering it because that seems to be a common problem on the Halloween-themed episodes. I really enjoyed the choreography and thought Laurie was flawless in both performance and technical quality! In previous weeks there were dances that received perfect scores from the judges, and others (okay, I think maybe just one) that I thought deserved a perfect score but didn’t get it. But this was the first dance of the season that got a perfect score that I agreed with!
Julia’s Score: 10




Marilu Henner and Derek Hough
Argentine Tango: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Emily Browning
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 8, 8 (23/30) Tied For Lowest Individual Dance Score
#TeamHennergy 1(800)868-3408

Paul Bentley: Argh! I wish I could see Marilu and Derek redo this dance! I think that the main reason why there so many mistakes was because of Marilu’s nerves, which is really unfortunate because we have all seen amazing dances from her! There was clearly a lot of hesitation, delay, and missteps, but I also saw some really clean lines in Marilu’s legs. There were parts where Marilu danced as fiercely and technically as Derek, but that wasn’t without mistakes thrown in throughout the dance. I appreciate all of the hard work Marilu has been putting into the show, so I hope she isn’t too down on herself about this, but I do have a strong feeling that she will be the next one eliminated. I want to see Marilu overcome her nerves for next week!
Bentley’s Score: 8

Julia: This was another package that left me confused, because I keep hearing about how much Marilu enjoys working with Derek and how much fun they’re having together, but once again that wasn’t what was shown onscreen at all. I don’t like when the producers constantly give certain partnerships negative packages, and that seems to be what’s happening with Marilu and Derek. Unfortunately, this was another dance in which Marilu made some noticeable mistakes, but excelled in other areas. With this particular routine she had some great lines but hesitated several times which threw the dance off a bit here and there. It’s very clear that the DWTS producers want this couple to be the next eliminated, and while I don’t like what they’re doing to ensure it they are who I think should be the next to go. I think from a dancing standpoint, Marilu is the weakest contestant left, and it seems to me that most of this couple’s support is coming from hardcore Derek fans. I personally don’t vote based solely on pros, but I know a lot of people do, and I think it’s fine when some of the votes are coming from that crowd. But I do have a problem when the star doesn’t even seem to matter to most of a team’s voters, and that’s very likely the situation here. So I hope this is the couple to leave on Monday, but I would definitely like to see them go out on a high note!
Julia’s Score: 8




Calvin Johnson, Jr. and Lindsay Arnold
Quickstep: Dr. Bones by Cherry Poppin’ Daddies
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) Tied For Highest Individual Dance Score
#TeamLindsatron 1(800)868-3403

Paul Bentley: Although I think it is fair that Calvin got a perfect score for this routine, I would given it a 9 for some minor reasons. While his hold was tight and strong, it ended up moving a little more than it should have. Plus, I think Calvin relied on Lindsay too much for balance. But overall, I absolutely loved the Quickstep and all the components that contributed to it, such as the skeletons in the background, the lighting, and the creative boney costumes! Calvin has surprised me this season with his dancing skills, and he proves to be better and better with every dance, using the judges’ notes to help him along the way.
Bentley’s Score: 9

Julia: Many people think this pair has been underscored this season, and I agree to a point, but I think this dance was scored in the total opposite direction. I appreciated the level of difficulty Lindsay gave Calvin, and he managed to do a very good job with it. However, I could see him go slightly off time at a few points and his frame was a bit wonky here and there. This wasn’t a bad dance at all, though, and it was nice to see Calvin get some credit for his hard work!
Julia’s Score: 9




Ryan Lochte and Cheryl Burke Eliminated- 7th
Tango: Howlin’ for You by The Black Keys
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 8, 8 (23/30) Tied For Lowest Individual Dance Score
#TeamCherloch 1(800)868-3411

Paul Bentley: Y’know what? This Tango might have been the least technical dance of the night, but it sure had a lot of content, which speaks wonders to me about both the pro and the celebrity. I appreciate the effort put into this Tango, but it just didn’t come together all that well. Ryan’s entire stature came off as a bit lazy, his legs were squatty, and his elbow was bent in a really awkward fashion. Even though Ryan looked like he was struggling to keep up with Cheryl, he still held his own. Ryan and Cheryl definitely did not lack in the chemistry department, and that was exemplified through their intensely shown in the dance. I think these two should be proud of how far they made it and how much they accomplished on this show. Ryan made it a lot further than what a lot of people thought he would make it, and I’m actually quite glad that he was able to redeem himself. He definitely won me over, which is why I am a little bummed to see him go, even though I know he wasn’t quite up to par with the rest of the competition.
Bentley’s Score: 7

Julia: I was actually surprised this dance had so much technique in it, since there seemed to be a recurring issue of lack of content in a lot of routines we’d previously seen from this couple, but I was pleased to see Cheryl challenge Ryan. I pretty much agree with everything Bentley already said about this dance, but I liked how Ryan portrayed the character he was given. I’ve enjoyed all of the partnerships this season so it was sad seeing these two leave at the end of the night, but I think out of everyone left this was the right couple to be sent home. I’m glad Ryan came on the show and taught viewers about not judging people before learning more about them. It’s a very valuable lesson we learn every season and then promptly forget when another controversial celebrity is announced as part of the next group of contestants.
Julia’s Score: 7




Jana Kramer and Gleb Savchenko
Jazz: Little Shop of Horrors by Alan Menken
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9 (27/30)
#TeamGlamer 1(800)868-3406

Paul Bentley: I am in love with Jana’s Jazz! I was so glad to see lots of Jazz content with elements of Jive thrown in there. It’s hard to impress me with a Jazz routine, but Jana and Gleb managed to do that! The troupe was brilliantly intertwined with the dance, and it made this Broadway number come to life! Jana’s feet were absolutely on fire, which is something that I’ve seen that she could improve upon in weeks past. Jana did progressively lose some energy towards the end, which might have been the cause for her being just a hair off from Gleb, but that does not compare to the amazing performance value that was given in such a dynamic and show-stopping routine!
Bentley’s Score: 9

Julia: I thought this dance was pretty good apart from a couple of sloppy-ish moves and a moment or two when Jana went off-time. It was cool how Gleb incorporated some Jive-esque steps into the routine, as it highlighted how Jana has improved over the course of the season. However, this was probably the only dance of the night that felt very disconnected to the theme. Little Shop of Horrors is about a nerdy guy who is trying to impress a typical Broadway love interest but has to deal with a BIG SCARY PLANT THAT FEEDS OFF OF HUMANS FOR THEIR BLOOD. Even the songs that sound cheery, like the one Jana and Gleb danced to, have at least a tinge of darkness, and I didn’t get that at all from this performance. That and the fact that they didn’t even have the plant onstage made this dance seem like just a generic Broadway number without a connection to Halloween, let alone the story it was supposed to be based on. This performance was still good from a dancing standpoint, but I was disappointed in the lack of connection to Little Shop of Horrors.
Julia’s Score: 9




James Hinchcliffe and Jenna Johnson (filling in for Sharna Burgess) Won Immunity From Elimination
Viennese Waltz: You Don’t Own Me by Grace featuring G-Eazy
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10 (30/30) Tied For Highest Individual Dance Score
#TeamStopAndGo 1(800)868-3405

Paul Bentley: James did not let down Sharna on the sidelines! There is just so much about this dance that I absolutely loved: the choreography, the passion, the effortless difficulty, the weirdness-- the list just keeps going on! James had phenomenal chemistry with Jenna, just like he has with Sharna on the dance floor. I’ve personally never seen Suicide Squad, but I found the theme very entertaining and oddly perfect for Halloween Night. James absolutely deserved the Immunity from elimination, especially with how he adapted to Jenna as well as how he executed this Viennese Waltz with a sensuality that we haven’t quite seen yet from him. I would have liked to seen him dance in round two, but I guess dancing with a different partner for one dance is hard enough!
Bentley’s Score: 10

Julia: I know Sharna had been looking forward to being Harley Quinn for a dance ever since Suicide Squad came out this past summer, so I was very disappointed she was unable to dance on Monday. She created a great routine for James and he executed it flawlessly. He also did very well with having to adapt to dancing with Jenna (who I thought was an odd choice as a stand-in but suited this particular routine very well) instead of his regular partner. As soon as I heard about the switch and saw they were dancing last I knew James was going to get Immunity, and I thought he deserved it so I was happy with that outcome. Not that I think he needed it, though, because I still believe he is going to win this season.
Julia’s Score: 10




Rankings of the Individual Week 8 Dances

Julia
1. Laurie & Val
2. James & Jenna (choreography and instruction by Sharna)
3. Calvin & Lindsay
4. Terra & Sasha
5. Jana & Gleb
6. Marilu & Derek
7. Ryan & Cheryl

Paul Bentley
1. James & Jenna (choreography and instruction by Sharna)
2. Laurie & Val
3. Jana & Gleb
4. Calvin & Lindsay
5. Terra & Sasha
6. Marilu & Derek
7. Ryan & Cheryl




The Dance-Off Challenge

This week, each couple practiced three additional dances along with their individual dance for the night in preparation for the Dance-Off Challenge.

For the Dance-Off Challenge, the couple with the highest score of the night won Immunity from elimination for week 8 and an additional 5 points to their overall score for week 9’s elimination. This means that that couple was able to sit out for the Dance-Off Challenge. Since Laurie & Val, Calvin & Lindsay, and James & Sharna all had the highest scores for round one with 30/30, the Immunity went to the couple with the highest cumulative score of the season out of the three of them. So, the couple that won Immunity as well as 5 additional points to their overall score was James and Sharna.

James and Sharna (Won Immunity From Elimination) +5 Points

So, for this challenge, the other six couples went head-to-head in three battles of two couples dancing against each other. Each couple danced on the dance floor at the same time with their rival couple, with short dance solos of both couples in the middle of each.

The couples in the Dance-Off Challenge fought for an additional 3 points to be added to their overall score. The loser of each dance-off did not receive any additional points. The winner and the loser was determined by each judge as well as the popular vote in America of who they thought were superior in their dance-off. In order to get the additional 3 points, the winner couple had to get the majority of the votes from the judges and America (America acts like a judge, with it’s average of votes determining one sole vote for judging). In the event of a tie, America’s majority choice for who won would be determined the winner.

Learning for the first time which of the three dance styles (Jive, Salsa, or Cha-Cha-Cha) they would perform live on the show for the dance-offs, the couples with the next highest scores of the night went down the line choosing who they wanted to face off against. The couples they chose to face off against chose the dance style they would perform.


First to choose, Laurie and Val chose to dance off against Calvin and Lindsay, who chose the Jive for their dance style.
Next to choose, Jana and Gleb chose to dance off against Terra and Sasha, who chose the Salsa for their dance style.
So, that left Marilu and Derek to dance off against Ryan and Cheryl with the Cha-Cha-Cha as their dance style.


[Order of the Judges’ Votes: Carrie Ann Inaba, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli, America* (percentage)]

*Only viewers in the Eastern Time Zone and Central Time Zone of America were eligible to vote live




Laurie and Val versus Calvin and Lindsay
Jive: The Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley
The Judges’ Votes: Laurie, Laurie, Laurie, Laurie (63%)
Winner: Laurie and Val (4 of 4 Votes) +3 Points

Paul Bentley: Both Laurie and Calvin put their heart and soul into this Dance-Off, but their energies were transmitted differently. Calvin had more of a swing style in his steps while Laurie had a lot of modern Jazz elements. Surprisingly enough, though, I think that both Laurie and Calvin did slightly worse than with their original Jives. Calvin wasn’t picking his feet up as high as last time, and Laurie kept kicking her feet more forward rather than directly up and down. But to determine which couple I liked better, I looked at the ease of transitions, which Laurie beat Calvin in that aspect. Plus, Calvin had a slight mistake towards the end of the dance. To me, the results to this dance-off could have went either way, but I do think that Laurie had a slightly better execution than Calvin.
Bentley’s Vote: Laurie & Val

Julia: I don’t like the dance-offs, I think they add unnecessary stress to the competition, and the outcomes of them often seem fixed. So because of this I’m going to keep my comments on them brief because I just want to be done with this mess. I liked both couples but noticed a couple errors from them both. In the end I’d go with Laurie because I thought she was just slightly cleaner.
Julia’s Vote: Laurie & Val




Jana and Gleb versus Terra and Sasha
Salsa: Magic by Robin Thicke
The Judges’ Votes: Terra, Jana, Jana, Jana (54%)
Winner: Jana and Gleb (3 of 4 votes) +3 Points

Paul Bentley: I was a bit disappointed in the fact that I think both Jana & Gleb and Terra & Sasha were holding back with their dances. Maybe it’s because they had to learn so many dances in one week, but there was a great lack of Salsa content, especially on Terra and Sasha’s side. Terra and Sasha heavily focused on a bunch of tricks and lifts to keep from doing Salsa content. The little Salsa they did was okay, but Terra did that pulsing thing with her arm again like she did in Cha-Cha-Cha in the individual dance round. On the other hand, although Jana and Gleb had a bit more content, the Salsa technique was a little unstable. But overall, my clear favorite from this dance-off was Jana and Gleb, even though I did find Terra and Sasha to be highly entertaining! Jana had a lot more Latin heat and had a deeper connection with Gleb than Terra had with Sasha.
Bentley’s Vote: Jana & Gleb

Julia: This one was interesting since I don’t think we’d seen either couple do this style before. Jana and Gleb looked nice when they did the Salsa stuff but it was pretty stiff and their routine just seemed kinda pose-y. Terra and Sasha wasted a lot of time but the little Salsa content they did have was actually quite good so I guess I’d give it to them even though I wasn’t too keen on either couple’s performance in this dance-off.
Julia’s Vote: Terra & Sasha




Marilu and Derek versus Ryan and Cheryl
Cha-Cha-Cha: Can’t Feel My Face by The Weeknd
The Judges’ Votes: Ryan, Ryan, Marilu, Ryan (58%)
Winner: Ryan and Cheryl (3 of 4 votes) +3 Points

Paul Bentley: This was another dance-off that I think could have went either way, but I feel like Marilu was more clean and had plenty of more content than Ryan. While Ryan was using his sex appeal to his advantage, and he did frame Cheryl well, he did not dance from his core, which left for a lack of flow and ease in motion. Marilu, on the other hand, was a unit with Derek, absoluting crushing her Latin steps! Marilu was off center for some of the Cha-Cha-Cha, but she and Derek were able to stabilize themselves. Marilu proved to be a champion in this dance-off even though she didn’t win, and Ryan was able to end this season on a high note with his win before the elimination.
Bentley’s Vote: Marilu & Derek

Julia: Like with the Salsa dance-off, I wasn’t too keen on what we got from either of these two couples. Marilu was quite stiff and hesitant throughout her performance, though I did appreciate what she was trying to do. Ryan was very impressive in the beginning but then kind of lost it as he neared the end, but he never second-guessed himself and really went for it. I suppose I’d give this one to Ryan but I wouldn’t have been upset at a Marilu victory either.
Julia’s Vote: Ryan & Cheryl




Total Combined Scores for Week 8

James and Sharna 30/30 + 5 = 35 Won Immunity From Elimination
Laurie and Val 30/30 + 3 = 33
Calvin and Lindsay 30/30 + 0 = 30
Jana and Gleb 27/30 + 3 = 30
Ryan and Cheryl 23/30 + 3 = 26 Eliminated- 7th
Terra and Sasha 24/30 + 0 = 24
Marilu and Derek 23/30 + 0 = 23




Rankings of the Dance off Performances

Paul Bentley
1. Laurie & Val
2. Jana & Gleb
3. Calvin & Lindsay
4. Marilu & Derek
5. Ryan & Cheryl
6. Terra & Sasha

Julia
1. Laurie & Val
2. Calvin & Lindsay
3. Terra & Sasha
4. Ryan & Cheryl
5. Jana & Gleb
6. Marilu & Derek




Predictions For Elimination

Paul Bentley: With her being on the bottom, it looks very likely that Marilu and Derek will be the next couple eliminated, but I also think that Terra and Sasha are in some trouble, considering that they only have one more point than them. At the end of the day, I think the votes are going to be extremely close, but I think the Terra fans will prevail, and Marilu will be eliminated next week.

Julia: Yeah, no way is it going to be anyone other than Marilu or Terra leaving on Monday. There are 8 points between Terra and the next-lowest scoring contestants (Calvin and Jana) and 9 between them and Marilu, and this wasn’t a week with a ton of points given out. Facebook-aka the best source I have to take the “temperature” of the more casual viewers-indicates that it will be Marilu. The thing is, Derek fans are known to be very passionate and driven, and I know a lot of them “power-vote” on a regular basis, so it wouldn’t be too much of a surprise to see her stick around. Plus I still don’t know about Terra’s fanbase, both from before she joined Dancing With the Stars and the support she’s gained while on the show. On the other hand, I’ve seen a lot of Derek fans claim they’ve stopped voting because they dislike Marilu, and she has a lot in common with most of the recent 6th-placers. So I don’t have a clear idea which of the two is going home but as I explained earlier I’m really, really hoping it’s Marilu.




MVP (Most Valuable Pro) Picks For Week 8

Paul Bentley: Val Chmerkovskiy made Laurie look stunning for her Viennese Waltz, and then challenged her with some good results for the Dance-Off Challenge. Val is pushing Laurie hard, but not too hard to the point where she is not polished. Val is making sure that Laurie gets the full experience of Dancing With the Stars, and I admire him for that.

Julia: I don’t think a lot of people know this, but this week Sharna Burgess spent time out-of-state getting treatment for her knee so he could get back to dancing as soon as possible. This meant she was coaching James via Facetime for much of the week. That is serious dedication and very admirable!



Additional Comments

Paul Bentley: How fun was that opening number?! The show seriously needs to add more fun numbers that involves all of the celebrities. Those are just little things that I appreciate from DWTS. I know it probably takes a lot of coordinating, time, and effort, but hey, these people are getting paid! XD

Julia: I think they’ve had way too many over-the-top themes this season. I know that’s the way the show is now but this has been a whole new level. We’ve had TV Theme Songs, Cirque du Soleil, Eras, and Halloween, all in the same season and all done in an overly-produced fashion. Next week is another one-Broadway-and I feel like I should be annoyed but I don’t think I’m allowed to be since I’ve been begging for them to bring this theme back for years. XD

Paul Bentley: Season 21 is the complete opposite from this season in that sense. I remember that people were so tired of all of the personal themes such as Hometown Glory Week, Most Memorable Year Night, and Personal Icons Night. But I guess now that DWTS strayed too far away from that now, and now people don’t like the overly produced numbers.

Julia: Little side concern that could turn out to be for nothing but I figured I’d voice it anyway...James has The Wiz next week and I’m wondering how that’s going to go over since it was created for an entirely African American cast and has since become a cultural touchstone of the Black community. (And also Laurie is doing Chicago which could be considered inappropriate for her age.)

Paul Bentley: I think that The Wiz will be perfect for James’s goofy personality! The dance is just going to be a tribute to the Broadway show, so I don’t see anything wrong with him paying homage to a show that people all across the country love. And as for Laurie, I think Chicago could be a little inappropriate, but because DWTS is a family show, I know that they would never cross any lines like that.




Follow Us on Twitter! (links)
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Fangirl: @24_7dwts
Katie Henry: @katiegotbandzz
Angelina Mikheeva: @angelinarose42
The DWTS 2016 Social Square (run by Paul Bentley): @DWTS2016




What did you think of Halloween Night on Dancing With the Stars? Which couple do you think portrayed the most Halloween spirit in their individual dance? Who do you think really sold it in the Dance-Off Challenge? What do you think of James and Sharna winning Immunity from elimination? What did you think of Ryan and Cheryl’s elimination? Who do you think will be eliminated next week, coming in sixth place?

Next week is Showstoppers Night on DWTS for the Quarter Finals! For the first round of dances, the couples will dance in tribute of different Broadway musicals. Then, the couples will each pair up with another couple in the duet Team-Up Challenge! Then, another couple will be eliminated from the competition! Plus, two-time DWTS winner and Jersey Boys lead actor Mark Ballas will be back in the ballroom this season to perform!


DWTS Ryan Cheryl Tango.jpg

#DWTS #DWTS23

DWTS Trophy.png

No comments:

Post a Comment