Thursday, April 9, 2015

DWTS 20 Week 4 (Most Memorable Year Night)- Stats and Opinions

It was Most Memorable Year Night on Dancing With the Stars, and it was definitely emotional! I know that many people were calling Len out on being a little bit grumpy, but I actually agreed with a lot that he said on Monday night. I was sad to see Michael's story, along with his elimination. Although it was an emotional night, I can't wait for the upbeat Disney Night next week!


Nastia Liukin and Derek Hough- Argentine Tango
Most Memorable Year: 2008 (Winning a gold medal in the Olympics)
Variations on Dark Eyes by Lara St. John
Score: 9, 8, 9, 10 (36)
My Score: 9
1-855-234-5604

I loved the music to this dance, and it was perfect for the Argentine Tango. This was my favorite dance of the night for many reasons. I love the lifts, her leg movements were sharp, and there was a nice, fluid motion to it. I do agree with what Len said about the "passion" of the Argentine Tango. I would have liked to seen a better connection along with some improvements on her feet.

Michael Sam and Peta Murgatroyd- Rumba Eliminated- 10th
Most Memorable Year: 2014 (Being rejected by his father)
Not My Father's Son from 'Kinky Boots'
Score: 7, 7, 8, 8 (30)
My Score: 8
1-855-234-5602

This, to me, was one of the most touching stories of the night. I really hope that that video package made his father realize that he was unreasonable, and get back in touch with Michael. It was a shame to see Michael go so early due to his improvements, but I figured that he would be next. I really liked this Rumba, even though his extensions could have been better. Overall, he really brought some emotion to the dance floor. I'm glad that he left on a high note.

Riker Lynch and Allison Holker- Tango
Most Memorable Year: 2014 (Having his band become a hit)
Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon
Score: 8, 8, 9, 9 (34)
My Score: 7
1-855-234-5608

Okay, where do I begin? To me, this dance was all sorts of awkward. Don't get me wrong, I love this couple, but this week was not their week. First of all, I was not a fan of the set up. The black and white background hurt my eyes, and the red costumes made it even worse. Honestly, not to mean, I did not enjoy watching this at all. I really thought that this was an Argentine Tango at first because of the many Argentinian movements. There was too much content, and not enough traveling. The hold was too tight and close, the connection was nonexistent, the movements were stiff, and the choreography was too hectic. I did find this Tango a little bit boring, but there were some good elements to it. I really liked the posture and the little traveling that they did do. I don't mean to tear this couple apart, but I was not a fan of this week's routine.

Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson- Waltz
Most Memorable Year: 2006 (Witnessing his mother die)
The Last Waltz by Engelbert Humperdink
Score: 8, 9, 8, 9 (34)
My Score: 9
1-855-234-5609

I loved this Waltz so much! This was pure dancing. The back story was very touching, and this dance did it justice. I can tell that Robert really wants this- not just for his mother, but for himself as well. I agree with Julianne about him having some superior technique over some of the other male contestants. His frame was good, and his rise-and-fall was extremely impressive! This dance was so beautiful. I can't wait for what they have to bring for next week for Disney Night!

Chris Soules and Witney Carson- Rumba
Most Memorable Year- 2014 (Getting engaged to his fiancé)
The Book of Love by Gavin James
Score: 7, 6, 7, 7 (27) Lowest Score of the Night
My Score: 6
1-855-234-5602

I really like Chris- I really do. I just think that he really needs to step up his game to become a contender in later weeks. Fist off, I will start with the positive. Witney looked stunning, the set was gorgeous, the hip movement was okay, and Chris did a great job framing Witney. However, there was a lot that I feel like I should critique in this performance. As the judges said, his extensions were not very extended at all. Also, I did not feel a connection between these two. Chris really isn't a natural mover, but there is not any passion that makes up for it. This was a very simplistic routine, and I think that made the simple movements seems far more enunciated. I feel like Chris was really struggling through this dance. Let's just hope that he actually does make a comeback, because I am worried about his safety for next week.

Patti LaBelle and Artem Chigvintsev- Jazz
Most Memorable Year: 1973 (Giving birth to her son)
Dan Swit Me by Patti LaBelle
Score: 8, 7, 7, 8 (30)
My Score: 7
1-855-234-5606

Finally! I wanted to see more steps and technique from Patti, and that is what I got. I knew that Patti had it in her! Once again, Patti brought some charm to the dance floor, and really showed that she is serious about this competition, yet still having fun at the same time. I really like the Charleston feel to this, and it was executed well. The movements were small, but I think that is okay for now. 

Rumer Willis and Valentin Chmerkovskiy- Waltz
Most Memorable Year: 2014 (Being bullied through media)
Turning Tables by Adele
Score: 9, 8, 9, 9 (35)
My Score: 9
1-855-234-5610

I feel like Rumer and Val always get screwed over with their music. Their Foxtrot seemed a Waltz, their Salsa seemed liked a Disco, and their Waltz seemed like a fusion of Contemporary and Foxtrot. Despite this, I think that Rumer and Val handle this well. The story was very touching, and the performance expressed it beautifully. There was a mess-up with a catch, as well as a spin, but those are very minor. I liked this routine as a whole.

Suzanne Somers and Tony Dovilani- Foxtrot
Most Memorable Year: 1977 (Getting a part in Three's Company)
Three's Company, Too by Ray Charles and Julia Rinker
Score: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28)
My Score: 7
1-855-234-5611

Tony's performances are always enjoyable to watch, but sometimes I feel as though there is not enough content in some of his routines. I did not think like that at all for this performance! This was a great mixture of performance and technicality. Suzanne seems to be improving, and Tony is starting to give her harder and harder routines. I do think that Suzanne is up for the challenge! Just as a side note, I love Three's Company, and the set was a great depiction of the show!

Willow Shields and Mark Ballas- Contemporary
Most Memorable Year: 2011 (Getting a part in The Hunger Games)
Atlas by Coldplay
Score: 10, 9, 10, 10 (39) Highest Score of the Night
My Score: 9
1-855-234-5612

Once again, I am blown away by Mark's choreography. I loved everything about this- the song, the batons, the troupe, the concept, the story, etc. I love how accurate this is to the movies and books, and how strong and powerful it is to the audience. The uses of the batons were so creative, and the lifts were phenomenal. My only note is that there was a section in which Willow was just slightly off with the baton, but I don't care. Could there have been more contemporary content? Sure. But I don't mind. Mark is making the audience really engage and connect with the routines that he creates.

Noah Galloway and Sharna Burgess- Contemporary
Most Memorable Year: 2005 (Losing his arm and leg in Iraq)
American Soldier by Toby Keith
Score: 8, 8, 8, 8 (32)
My Score: 9
1-855-234-5605

The last dance of the night was probably the most emotional performance and story of the night. Noah's story is so inspiring, and really makes me motivated to do things that I am weary of trying. I love his motto of "No excuses", because he really shows that anyone can do whatever they set their minds to. He is not only a good dancer "for a guy missing an arm and a leg", but he is a great performer in general! Those lifts were very impressive, and the movements were very fluid and in sync. I loved the mirror and the entire patriotism of this routine. Also, props to him for doing this dance with a wrist injury. Thank you, Noah, for being such an amazing person, and for serving the United States of America.



So what did you think of Most Memorable Year Night? What was your favorite performance? Who do you think will be eliminated next week?

Make sure you follow me on Twitter @DWTS20 for more DWTS news and updates!




No comments:

Post a Comment