Monday, September 5, 2016

First Impressions and Predictions of the Season 23 DWTS Cast [Angelina, Bentley, Fangirl, Julia, Katie]

The season 23 Dancing With the Stars cast reveal on Good Morning America was a bit underwhelming, considering very few of this season’s contestants and pros actually showed up, and only a few of the pros were announced, leaving us to having to find out each couple online. The cast will be on GMA September 7, though, so we will get to see some more of them before the premiere.

Our DWTS fan blog judges from last season, Paul Bentley, Julia Delbel, and Angelina Mikheeva are back to create the weekly blog posts, but now there will be even more input from DWTS fans with the additions of Katie Henry and Fangirl joining in, too!

Plus, Angelina actually got to see the cast reveal live at GMA, and was able to meet some of the cast! She will also be at the GMA DWTS event on September 7!

So here are this season’s fan blog judges’ first impressions on the season 23 cast!



Model/Actress Amber Rose and revived pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Paul Bentley: I barely knew who Amber Rose was before the reveal, and frankly I still barely know who she is, even after researching her online. All I can tell by looking at her Twitter is that she has a type of humor that some would consider funny, others would consider stupid, and other people to consider offensive. Personally, I don’t have a problem with the things I have seen her say so far, but that’s based off of just the epigraph of her personality. I do like the fact that she has her own strong opinions, even though others may disagree, but all in all, there’s not much else I can say about her. Although I can say that Maksim Chmerkovskiy is a good pairing for her, considering they both have really strong personalities. However, as we all know, those strong personalities are sometimes bound to clash. By the way, hasn’t Maks retired twice now? Eh, whatever. I like his choreography.

Julia: This couple could be amazing or they could blow up in our faces. They seem nice so far and I bet they last awhile but I’m sure we’ll see at least one major blowout between the two before the season is over. I like Amber fine so far but am honestly done with Maks on this show. Bottom like, I think they’ll dance well but their personalities will probably clash at some point since they are both very outspoken.

Fangirl: Because of some of Amber’s previous work experience, she feels comfortable in her own skin which is a must when you are learning something so new and different. Both her and Maks have big personalities so it will be interesting to see how that plays out on the dance floor. After watching their first interview, Amber is completely different than I thought she was going to be she seems very sweet which is the complete opposite of the way the media has portrayed her! I am so excited for this couple and I think they could be in the finals! They are definitely one of my favorites for sure!

Katie: I’ll be completely honest, this is one of the couples I’m most excited for. Amber Rose has a large (and controversial) social media presence so there’s going to be lots of buzz around her. She’s unfiltered, a little crass but underneath her big personality she’s got a soft spot, especially for her son Sebastian. Combine that with the Maks we know and (sometimes) love, we’re in for a gem of a pairing this season. Like Paul said, they’re bound to clash, but I think this is going to be a partnership to watch. This show is all about the journey, and I think that Amber is about to have a beautiful one.

Angelina: I think this will be a great couple but they may hit some bumps in the road. Full of fiery passion and sass I am excited to see what they bring to the dance floor. Like Katie, they are one of the couples I am most excited for.



Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson, Jr. and returning pro Lindsay Arnold

Paul Bentley: After having three football players on last season, I’m surprised that Dancing With the Stars would even want another football player on this season. . . Just kidding! It’s DWTS, people! Clearly, Calvin Johnson, Jr. is retired since football season is quickly coming. And now it is time to finally see how Lindsay Arnold will do with professional athlete. I’m guessing amazingly, but we have to leave things for interpretation. Anyway, I usually only see sports figures as sports figures until their personalities shine through during DWTS, so right now, all I see is potential to dance athletically, and a clean record, which is always good to have. I hope to see something really great in him in future weeks, though!

Julia: Well, this could go a number of ways. I really don’t know anything about Calvin and so far he seems nice but kind of quiet. I think he may have some potential, but I hear he has problems with his knees which might be a major roadblock. But I think this couple will make it decently far so long as Calvin has a good attitude!

Fangirl: I don't really know how to feel about this couple because athletes either do amazing or terrible on DWTS. It is really up to the athletes to put all their competitive spirit into the competition and take it seriously even though dancing is in a total different realm than any other sport. This is Lindsay's first football player so it will be interesting to see how she gets him more comfortable with performing and being in front of a live audience. I can't wait to see how his journey plays out in the future weeks!

Katie: I’m indifferent about Calvin so far just because I don’t know much about him, but Lindsay is one of my favorite female pros. She brings out such great energy in her partners. If Calvin and Lindsay can have even half the fun and chemistry that Wanya and Lindsay had last season, we’re in for a great team. Lindsay’s proven that she is a great teacher, so really it’s up to how badly Calvin wants this and how much work he’s willing to put in.

Angelina: Like Fangirl, I am not very excited about this couple. I do love Lindsay but football players tend to be very tough and stiff and while it may pass off for the fast dances it is hard for the more flowy ones. This could also go the other directions and he could be amazing but you never know. It all depends on how much effort Calvin will use towards DWTS and that will determine his place.



Wizards of Waverly Place/The Fosters actor Jake T. Austin and new pro Jenna Johnson

Paul Bentley: Wizards of Waverly Place was probably the best Disney Channel show ever, but personally, if I were to choose an actor from that show to be on Dancing with the Stars, I probably would have chosen Jake T. Austin right away. Not because I don’t like him, but he just didn’t stand out on the show (partly because he was not really the main focus of the show). Hopefully he can stand out this time around as a celebrity on DWTS, but I don’t know what to expect because his partner Jenna Johnson hasn’t really shown us what she is all about yet. Jenna is 22-years-old, and Jake is 21-years-old, so both of them being very young, but not too young, can be used to their advantage. They can be the young firework couple on the show, and bring us some high-energy performances!

Julia: I’m actually happy to see Jenna as a pro this season but I worry for this couple. Jake has been known for some bad behaviour lately; he got fired from The Fosters (and the cast and crew don’t seem to miss him very much) and has been known to act like he is “above” everyone else. The video clips I saw of him don’t seem too promising either, since he comes across as fake to me in them. I certainly think he has the potential to be a good dancer, but it will depend on his attitude. Also I sincerely hope they don’t make a showmance out of this couple. (I know Jake has a girlfriend but that hasn’t stopped people before.)

PS: Best Disney Channel show ever? That’s gotta be Lizzie McGuire or That’s So Raven. ;) (Out of the live action shows, anyway!)

Fangirl:    First off, I have been campaigning for Jenna to become a pro the moment she stepped on the SYTYCD stage. I think she is capable and has the right tools to lead Jake to success although I am a little worried about Jake. He is constantly know for his terrible attitude and his bad reputation and we all know a terrible partnership can destroy their chances of winning the show. The video clips I saw of him validated my thoughts on his “cocky” attitude. I think he has the potential to be a amazing dancer but it depends on his attitude and if he treats dwts like it is just a job or a journey.

Katie: I see this couple doing really well or really poorly. Like Julia mentioned, Jake’s been known for a LOT of attitude issues recently. It really all comes down to how tough Jenna will be on him. I was not impressed at all by his soundbites. However, Jenna seems to really be excited to be partnered with him, and that’s what’s important. In my opinion, Jenna has already proven herself as a choreographer (see her samba and cha cha with Jake on SYTYCD) so it really comes down to how tough Jenna can be and how well she can teach Jake.

Angelina: I’m very excited for this couple because even though Jake has been shown to have some attitude issues I feel he is excited to be a part of something new. As with Ryan, nobody knows what has been going on in Jake’s like that could’ve caused him to act like this or he could just be showing his true colors. Clean slate and moving forward, I think if Jenna can bring that passion out of him this couple could be very successful.


Race car driver James Hinchcliffe and returning pro Sharna Burgess

Paul Bentley: Now this looks like a racecar driver that is ready to rumble! From what I’ve seen, he seems nice, so that is always a good attribute. He’s a canadian race car driver, and I’m pretty sure we have not had a Canadian on the show in any recent seasons. Not that it’s important. I just think it’s weird half of the pros are from eastern Europe, but when it comes to celebrities, they are usually from the United States, specifically California. Ballroom dancing is really competitive and famous in the countries that those pros are from, but I want to see some variety! Anyway, I think James has lots of potential, especially with a fireball like Sharna Burgess guiding him along the way.

Julia: James is probably the most likeable of anyone this season! He claims he can’t dance, but I think he’ll do at least decently and even if not I’m guessing he’ll make it to the finals on personality alone. Very excited to see him on the show! (And I believe the most recent Canadian on DWTS was Robert Herjavec in Season 20.)

Paul Bentley: Huh, I had no clue that Robert Herjavec is Canadian.

Fangirl: I think James could be the heartthrob/ most liked celebrity this season. He seems very sweet and hardworking which is a key for an amazing partnership. Sharna mentioned that they only have 5 days or so to practice before camera-blocking and that makes me very nervous. The more practice they have the smoother their first live show will be so I hope they figure out a way to get maximum rehearsal time.  I think he has tons of potential so I am excited to see what Sharna comes up with this season!

Katie: James and Sharna seem to have one of the strongest partnerships right off the bat. What concerns me (and Sharna) is that they have only five days to rehearse until the first live show. Will that be enough to make a great first impression? We’ll have to see. Sharna’s said on social media that James really wants this. Passion and personality will definitely get James far in this competition.

Angelina: Like others have heard, James seems like a very passionate and hardworking person. I don’t know much about him but I think he has great potential. As soon as his personality will be shown through dance and the camera I think he could steal the show and the hearts of many.



One Tree Hill actress/Country music singer Jana Kramer and revived pro Gleb Savchenko

Paul Bentley: I’m not much of a country person, but I do have to admit that Jana Kramer has such a good singing voice! Although I don’t really like any of her songs at the moment, I feel like I could really like her song Why Ya Wanna if I listen to it enough. She without a doubt has amazing performance quality, and that alone could help her get far in the competition. I also think that because she is a musician, she will be able to translate the music in motion fairly easily. I can already tell that with Gleb Savchenko as her partner this season, these two will be considered the best-looking couple this season. Just watch.

Julia: At first I thought Jana and Gleb would be the couple screwed over before the finale (as in, they’d do very well all season yet be bumped out of the finals by a less talented couple). But now that I’ve seen them rehearsing and interacting I believe they might be able to pull off a win. What’s also working in their favor is that the DWTS producers seem to be trying to get people excited about Gleb, so they might not try to prevent them from making it to the end like it seems they have other couples in the past.

Katie: I am SO excited about this couple. I’ve been a fan of Jana’s every since she was on One Tree Hill. I’m not  huge country fan but Jana is a really great performer and has great presence, even when it’s just her. From what she’s shown on SnapChat, she and Gleb seem to really be hitting it off. I don’t want to automatically assume that just because Jana is a musician that she’ll have great musicality (see Andy Grammer, season 21) but I think her chemistry with Gleb is a great start. We haven’t seen much of Gleb as a teacher, so with a partner with as much potential as Jana, this is going to be a really exciting season for him to show what he’s got as a pro.

Fangirl: I am not a huge fan of country music so I know very little about Jana Kramer. She seems very excited to be on the show and I think the show will be a very therapeutic journey for her to find herself again. Over the past few days I have been watching her snapchats and I think her and Gleb are so cute together! I am so so excited for this couple! I think they could be in the finals and possibly win!
Angelina: I am excited for this partnership and I think they can go pretty far. They both have high energy levels she is an amazing actress which a lot of dancing requires as well. You need to play the part and I think with that and her personality it will help her stick out in a good way among other pros.



R&B singer-songwriter Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds and revived pro Allison Holker

Paul Bentley: I don’t have anything against Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, but I think that Allison Holker is not the best partner for him. Babyface just seems so low energy compared to Allison’s really fast and energetic dancing style. I’m glad Allison has a new type of partner in terms of personality this time around, but I feel like something is not going to feel right between them on the dance floor. Hopefully I’m wrong, though, because contrasting characters can make for the best mash-ups!

Julia: Both Babyface and Allison are likeable but I agree with Paul that I don’t think this is a good match. Allison has had trouble with ballroom choreography in the past and doesn’t seem to know how to “dance down” so she doesn’t outshine her partner. I think this will  be highlighted with Babyface, who may not have the energy to even somewhat keep up like her previous partners did. I think they may be likeable, which could keep them around for a few weeks, but I’m just not sure what to think at all yet.

Fangirl: To be completely honest, I think this is a terrible pairing. I absolutely love Allison as a pro but I do not think she will be able to help him in the ways he needs. He seems very low energy which is the complete opposite of Allison’s high energy personality. Her choreography is a very high energy/fast paced/modern style which doesn't match Babyface’s personality. I hope they prove me wrong and they go far in the competition! We will just have to wait and see!

Katie: I actually disagree. It’s true that we haven’t seen much of Babyface and Allison together but I think they’re going to click really well. I do agree with Julia’s comment that Allison seems to always outdance her partners, but personality wise I think these two are a great match. Babyface seems really smooth and soulful and I think Allison will be able to harness that subtle energy and come up with some really great routines for Babyface.

Angelina: I haven’t seen anything from them as a partnership so I haven’t formed an opinion yet. I don’t know much about Babyface but I think the way Allison has choreographed in the past and it will be too fast for Babyface. I think they can make it for a few weeks but I think there is too much differentiation for them to succeed as a couple.


Gold medal Olympian Laurie Hernandez and returning pro Valentin Chmerkovskiy

Paul Bentley: This is definitely an exciting couple to see on the show! Laurie Hernandez was on fire in the Olympics, which can be shown through her winning of her gold medal. I can already tell that she is going to make it to at least the final four, with a strong possibility to win it all! Having Valentin Chmerkovskiy as her professional partner can be a hit or a miss, considering fans of DWTS are polar opposite about him. I think Val will be able to bring every capable dancer quality out of Laurie, and I also think that Laurie is going to give it her all no matter what comes in her way!

Julia: I’m not very happy about Laurie being on the show this season since she is also doing the Kellogg’s Tour. I don’t even like it when musicians tour while doing this show, so a minor doing one that requires her to physically exert herself every week bothers me a lot. I think she’ll be a good dancer but I don’t want her schedule to stress her out or impact her enjoyment of either the show or the tour. But unless this has a negative enough impact on her that she had to drop out of the competition, I think she will probably be in the finals. This is Val’s third season in a row flying around with his celeb and he has been touring every hiatus for two years now, so I hope he takes a well-deserved break after this season is over!

Fangirl: I am so excited for this partnership and I think it is going to be an incredible season for them. Like Katie said above this partnership is basically Val and Zendaya 2.0. Val is great with younger partners because he really nurtures them and takes them under his wing. Family is very important to Val and all of his partners join his “family”. I mean look at Zendaya and Val they are still super close. Anyways I can definitely see Laurie in his “family” and I can not wait them this season! They definitely are one of my favorites if not favorite couple this season! I could see them winning for sure!

Katie: My first thoughts when I heard the rumors of Laurie and Val: Zendaya 2.0. I think we’re going to be brought back to the side of Val we saw in Season 16. Since Zendaya was 16 at the time, we saw Val as more of a mentor to her and I loved that. That’s the kind of partnership we’re going to see from Val and Laurie. He seems SO excited to be with her and that’s the most important part. Laurie is a firecracker. She’s going to bring the power of her floor routines to the ballroom. I will be shocked if these two don’t make the finals.

Angelina: I am extremely excited for this couple. Laurie is very bubbly, full of passion and motivation, and she is looking forward to this. I met her during the cast reveal and she was such a sweetheart. I am excited to see what they come up with and in my opinion I think they could get the mirror ball trophy.


Taxi actress Marilu Henner and revived pro Derek Hough

Paul Bentley: Marilu Henner has the kind of personality that everyone would fall in love with right away! She might have a highly sharp memory, but even without that, I think she has truckloads of potential! She seems like one of the sweetest actresses out there, but she also seems determined to do the best that she can on the dance floor. And who better to dance with with that kind of mindset than Derek Hough?! Some might underestimate Marilu, but I feel as though she will be the dark horse of the season. . . Mark my words!

Julia: Marilu used to dance when she was younger and has a good memory, so I expect her to do at least decently well on this show. I think the audience will like her too, and she already seems to be a good match with Derek! Very excited to see what this couple can do! And I have to say, I find it hilarious that some fans of Val, who’s star is an Olympicc gymnast who danced as a kid, are already calling Marilu a “ringer”. Are they that scared of Marilu and Derek threatening their precious favorite’s chances of getting another Mirrorball Trophy?

Fangirl: I have to disagree with Julia on this one. I think that in some ways Marilu is a way bigger ”ringer” then Laurie. I mean Marilu’s mother was  the president of the National Association of Dance and ran the Henner Dance School for 20 years. Marilu has been dancing since age two and then went on to be a dance teacher and choreographer for some time. She was also part of the TV Show America's Ballroom Challenge. To me Marilu has a way bigger advantage because she has done ballroom and that is way different than gymnastics and even jazz and contemporary.

Katie: I think that people are underestimating Marilu a LOT, especially with her dance background. Marry that with Derek’s unbelievable ability to pull a dancer out of anyone, and we’ve got a force to be reckoned with. Derek does something that very few pros on the show do and that’s create routines that showcase his partner and not just Derek as a dancer or a choreographer. Marilu doesn’t necessarily have a strong fanbase to get her the votes, but Derek does. Quite a few of the DWTS viewership votes based on their favorite pro. Can Derek be enough to get Marilu to the finals? We’ll have to see.

Angelina: I don’t know much about Marilu but she clearly has potential because of her dance background that I have heard about. Her and Derek seem like a double threat to the others couples so I know they will go far. Will they finish first? I can’t tell because of the amount of potential there are in other couples.


The Brady Bunch actress Maureen McCormick and returning pro Artem Chigvintsev

Paul Bentley: I’m sure everyone has at least heard of Maureen McCormick, or at least her character on the original TV show version of The Brady Bunch. Personally, I only watched The Brady Bunch because I liked to make of how ridiculous it was in my opinion. Nonetheless, she was an okay actress as a kid, and is probably still one now. I’m not too sure how well she will do with Artem Chigvintsev because Artem’s teaching style depends on how his partners act and react to him. If Maureen is fun and wanting to have a good time, Artem will give that to her. However, is she gives an attitude towards him, Artem will be less invested in the partnership. I guess I could describe Artem as more of a thermometer than a barometer, reacting to what he is given. Is Maureen going to be difficult with Artem, though? Is Artem going to be difficult with Maureen? I don’t know. I hope not.

Julia: I’m very excited for Maureen to be on the show, and she seems like she could be a very good dancer (and is also one of my favorite internet memes!). But I agree with Bentley that her having Artem as a pro concerns me. I don’t think she’ll have a bad attitude, but I’m worried he’ll be too hard on her and it will impact her enjoyment of the experience and possibly her performances as well. I have to say I really wish Maureen had Mark Ballas as her partner, and if it’s true that Mark wasn’t invited back this season over certain others pros then I’m going to be PISSED. I just hope that my feelings on the pro issue don’t impact my enjoyment of certain couples.

Fangirl: I don't know how I feel about this couple. I was never a fan of the Brady Bunch and rarely watched the show. All I know is she seems like she could be a good dancer and has a great work ethic. I have to also agree with Paul and Julia it concerns me an awful lot that Artem is her partner. His teaching style seems very different from the other pros and he seems very harsh. She seems like a person that doesn't feel very well with tough love so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Katie: I think Maureen has a lot of potential. As much as a I love Artem, I don’t think he’s the right pro to harness her potential. I’m hoping that we’ll get a partnership like Artem and Lea during season 19, but I’m worried that Artem’s tough love approach might hurt Maureen’s DWTS experience. Again, this show is famous for surprises. I hope that for Maureen’s sake that this partnership is one of those surprises.

Angelina: Personally, I don’t know anything about Maureen but from what I have seen I think she would do decent on the show. I feel Artem may be a bit too tough for her. I love him but she seems like she would learn differently than the way Artem teaches but I think if the potential is there then they can go at least a bit far into the show.



Texas governor Rick Perry and revived pro Emma Slater

Paul Bentley: It’s kind of comical how obviously conservative the show is. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I doubt the producers even considered a liberal to be on the show, considering it’s election season and all! Anyway, I know Rick Perry is a bit controversial in the public eye, but personality-wise, I don’t see anything wrong with him, except for the fact that he seems really boring. That’s expected, though, considering he worked for public office for several years, needing to be professional and all (unless you’re Anthony Weiner). Although I do think that if there is anyone to make Rick seem more human and personable, Emma Slater is the partner to have! Also, just to throw this out there, I like the fact that Rick is doing DWTS for the U.S. veterans, because while many contestants on the show sometimes only do the show for money, Rick Perry is using his position on the show as a platform for those who keep the country safe. I can always respect that.

Fangirl: I have no words. I literally have no words. I do not know who in their right mind would cast Rick Perry of all People. He has said many times before his policy on immigration and how he is not big on green cards and visas so I find it very funny that is partner is from Europe and almost half of the pros are from other countries. To me that is awwkkkkarrrd. Anyways I am not a fan of this partnership and I am very sad that Emma did not get someone more capable and with more dance/music background. But with that said I do think it is very sweet that he is honoring veterans and I think that is very cool of him.

Katie: Poor Emma. Poor, poor, Emma. I don’t think Rick will be the first one out. I think he might pull a Doug Flutie and even last as long as switch up. I think his personality is pretty dull but I think that his support for veterans will hit a positive chord with the viewership. Who knows? Maybe he’ll be like Bill Engvall and surprise us all. One thing is for sure is that Emma’s positivity and great demeanor, we may be in for a good partnership. I don’t think he’ll be as dreadful as Geraldo Rivera, but he definitely isn’t going to last long.

Julia: Another one of my favorite internet memes! I don’t like that they’re having a politician on during election season, but I guess he’s topical. I don’t expect him to be a very good dancer, but I do expect him to have some ardent supporters in those who are passionate about American veterans and/or Republican politics. And it looks like his packages might be entertaining, even if his dances are lacklustre. So I agree with Katie he might last about as long a Flutie did last season. And even though Emma is a favorite of mine, I refuse to pity her because from what I’ve heard she was lucky to be brought back this season at all (and also because I don’t think she’d want to be pitied anyway). I think Emma will face some challenges with Rick but a few of the other pros may actually be worse off in some ways.

Oh, and to answer Paul’s question, they’’e had Jerry Springer compete before and try to get Bill Clinton to join almost every season, so I don’t think they’re opposed to having Democrats on the show.

Angelina: When I found out about this pairing, I was disappointed. Emma has so much potential and I feel bringing in someone who doesn’t seem to have any real potential in dancing is just pushing her back. I hope that something good comes out of this rather than just filling in a number of pairings needed.



Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte and revived pro Cheryl Burke

Paul Bentley: Mr. Ryan Lochte has gotten quite the criticism for being on Dancing With the Stars now, hasn’t he? Personally, I just think this guy is an idiot, and strongly comes off as a jerk. Now you would think that because I think this about him, that would have negative feelings about him. Actually no. I think he actually feels sorry for his actions in Brazil, and has recently had a reality check about his character. I’m going to give him a sliver of a chance to redeem himself, though, because I am not one to hold a grudge or judge a book by it’s cover. I think Ryan is on thin ice at the moment, so he will probably be extremely careful about his actions during this season, especially with knowing that Cheryl Burke can put him in his place!

Julia: I don’t have any strong feelings about this couple and probably won’t until the show premieres. But so far I think Cheryl is a good partner for Ryan because she won’t take any nonsense from him. I do hope Ryan treats her with respect though because she already seems to be putting a lot of effort into this partnership!

Fangirl: At first I was very disappointed that Ryan was on the show and that Cheryl was back but the more I thought about it the happier I was. It all started when I was watching GMA the other day and I was pleasantly surprised. Ryan seemed very nice, poised, and excited about the show and Cheryl seemed rejuvenated and ready to roll. Dancing with the Stars is all about showing America who you really are and redefining those judgments and stereotypes. I think this show will be the perfect platform to show America who he really is and surprises them.

Katie: I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Ryan preseason. Regardless of how he’s been portrayed, he seems genuinely excited to have this experience on DWTS. Even if he does need some tough love now and then, Cheryl is the perfect pro to do that for him. I don’t think Ryan will be bad at all. His obstacle to overcome is to get enough support from the viewers to vote for him. He might not be the first one out, but if he can’t get public support on his side, he won’t last long.

Angelina: I was able to meet Ryan in person at the DWTS reveal and I could tell he was tense but excited. After all the backlash that his choices have gotten, he is trying to show the good side of him. Everybody makes mistakes big and small and they should be able to be moved on from. So starting from a clean slate and excited to move on, I think this season will show the fun side of him and will build his audience and fan base up again. Mistakes are mistakes but I think dance can bring out the sweet and kind side of his that I experienced.


Little Women: LA reality star Terra Jolé and returning pro Sasha Farber

Paul Bentley: Y’know, I remember saying just a few months ago that there should be a little person on DWTS, and even mentioning that somebody from Little Women: LA in particular would be a good choice. I’ve always secretly loved Little Women: LA, and Terra Jolé is by far one of my favorite, if not my number one favorite member on the show. In all honesty, though, when I first watched the show in season one, I actually did not get the best impression of Terra. But as the show went on, I started to realize that I was wrong about her. She seems like such a cool and sociable person, even though she might get a little unpleasant when she is angry (but hey, don’t we all?). I’m interested to see how Sasha Farber does traditional ballroom dance styles with her, not only because Terra is obviously much shorter than him, but also because she has achondroplasia (a genetic feature of little people that is less proportional to average people than a little person who would have another genetic quality of a little person, such as pseudoachondroplasia, which is much more proportional to the average population). I know Sasha has lots of original and refreshing choreography up his sleeve, so I can’t wait to experience the innovation of their performances!

Julia: I’ve heard a lot of conflicting comments about Terra but from what I’ve seen so far I lean towards positive feelings on her. I think this will be like with Amy and Derek and Noah and Sharna in the sense that they may have to skip certain styles and may be allowed accommodations for some of the ones that they do perform because of the height issue. So far Terra and Sasha seem to be having a lot of fun together, so if they actually show this in the packages I think they will gain some supporters. My main issue here is that Terra just had a baby a month ago and while she is already used to being a mom and isn’t travelling a lot like Ginger Zee did last season, I’m a little bit worried about her doing this show.

Fangirl: I don't really know anything about Terra but I am very excited about her and Sasha! She seems very dedicated and I can't wait to see how Sasha works with the height difference and what kind of creative new choreography he comes up with! I think they could do well in this competition if they figure what works for them and how to get on the same playing field.

Katie: I think Terra and Sasha have a sweet partnership. She seems really excited to take on DWTS and from what we’ve seen on social media, her and Sasha already get along great. The concerns I have for this couple are obvious: the height difference. It will be difficult, but not impossible. Sasha’s proven that he is a very patient teacher, which is exactly what Terra needs. I think she has the potential to do really well in Latin dances. However, if she starts off with ballroom, I have the feeling it may cause her to have an early departure.

Angelina:  Though I really don’t know much about Terra I think energy-wise I think this will be a very good couple. I am looking forward to see how Sasha will manage and work the height-difference into dances but hopefully they will be able to have fun as it looks they already are.



Rapper Vanilla Ice and returning pro Witney Carson

Paul Bentley: Vanilla Ice is one of those celebrities are pretty much known by everyone, but only for one thing. In Vanilla’s case, it’s his song Ice Ice, Baby. I think doing Dancing With the Stars will be able to push his career forward a little more, and let people know him as more than just the guy who made that song that gets in everybody’s head. Having Witney Carson as his partner could be an advantage because Witney is good at bringing the groove out of people, but it can also be a disadvantage if Witney is impatient with him, which can arguably sometimes be said about Witney.
Julia: We haven’t seen much from this team yet but they both seem enthusiastic which is a major plus! The biggest concern for me with these two so far is that Rob is yet ANOTHER contestant who will be touring while the season is going on, so that will likely interfere with this team’s rehearsals quite a bit.

Fangirl: As of right now, we have not seen any interactions between Witney and Vanilla Ice so it will be interesting to see how they work together and how the get along as a couple. I am curious to see how Witney works with him and if she will be able to teach him. As Paul said above Witney often gets very frustrated with people who do not have previous dance experience so it will be interesting to see how their journey plays out.

Katie: I’m a little frustrated with this couple because I think Vanilla Ice seems like he’d be a really fun partner. The catch here is that he doesn’t have dance experience. Witney has yet to prove herself as a competent teacher in my book. She lucked out season 19 with Alfonso. That season she was able to spend less time teaching basics and more time choreographing some really strong routines. Witney’s teaching also tends to suffer in unfamiliar territory (case in point: every single switch up week she’s done). If we luck out and we get season 19 level Witney, I think this will be a really exciting pairing.

Angelina: I really don’t know much about this couple and how they are together. I have not seen anything but taking both of their personalities which is excited and energized so I’m excited to see what they come up with.




NOT Returning as Pros From Last Season: Mark Ballas, Tony Dovolani, Keoikantse Motsepe, Peta Murgatroyd, Edyta Śliwińska, Karina Smirnoff

Paul Bentley: Edyta ÅšliwiÅ„ska not returning was expected because she seemed to be the season’s throwaway throwback pro that lasts only one season on the show. Tony Dovolani not being a part of this season is really disappointing to me because I appreciate his authentic persona, and I really wanted to see him go far in recent seasons of the show. Obviously Peta Murgatroyd is not returning because baby Chmerkovskiy is on the way, so I guess fiance Maks is filling in for her this time around! Karina Smirnoff’s absence is unfortunate, but because she has been eliminated so early in the past seasons, she really has not gotten a chance to stand out anyway, so it’s not going to feel as different without her from last season on the show this time around. Keoikantse Motsepe finally shined last season, but I think he is better off in the troupe, especially because it gives him a chance to do as much complicated dancing as he wants. And finally, the biggest disappointment of all, Mark Ballas not being in this season is such a bummer since he is probably my favorite pro on the show, and he never fails to impress. Hopefully this season’s cast is able to bring something new to the table, though. Half of last season’s cast might be out this time around, but maybe change is a good thing.




Preseason Prediction Rankings

Paul Bentley:
13. Rick & Emma
12. Maureen & Artem
11. Vanilla Ice & Witney
10. Jake & Jenna
9. Ryan & Cheryl
8. Amber & Maks
7. Calvin & Lindsay
6. Terra & Sasha
5. Babyface & Allison
4. Marilu & Derek
3. Jana & Gleb
2. James & Sharna
1. Laurie & Val

Fangirl:
13. Rick and Emma
12. Maureen and Artem
11. Vanilla Ice and Witney
10. Ryan and Cheryl
9. Babyface and Allison
8. Calvin and Lindsay
7. Terra and Sasha
6. Jake and Jenna
5. Marilu and Derek
4. Jana and Gleb
3. Amber and Maks
2. James and Sharna
1.Laurie and Val

Katie:
13. Rick & Emma
12. Vanilla Ice and Witney
11. Jake and Jenna
10. Terra and Sasha
9. Babyface and Allison
8. Maureen and Artem
7. Ryan and Cheryl
6. Calvin and Lindsay
5. James and Sharna
4. Marilu and Derek
3. Amber and Maks
2. Laurie and Val
1. Jana and Gleb

Angelina:

13. Rick & Emma
12. Maureen & Artem
11. Babyface & Allison
10. Vanilla Ice & Witney
09. Calvin & Lindsay
08. Ryan & Cheryl
07. James & Sharna
06. Terra & Sasha
05. Jake & Jenna
04. Jana & Gleb
03. Amber & Maks
02. Marilu & Derek
01. Laurie & Val

Julia: Disclaimer: I don’t feel nearly as confident in this list as I did in the one that I made last season. That one had the correct Top 6/Bottom 6, with the latter half being in the exact order they were eliminated in. I don’t think I’m gonna be as accurate this time, because I don’t have a lot to work with. I’ve barely heard anything about some of these celebrities, one of the partnerships hasn’t even met in person yet, and I think a lot of these couples are teetering between fresh and fun combos and total mismatches.

13. Babyface & Allison (not confident in this prediction but I see them as a mismatch in energy and idk who else to put here)
12. Vanilla Ice & Witney (we know very little about this couple so far so again idk but as of now I don’t see them lasting long)
11. Ryan & Cheryl (him going first is waaaay too obvious and I think he’ll be an average dancer but I won’t get a lot of votes)
10. Rick & Emma (will probably be at or close to the bottom in scores but conservatives/veterans tend to get a lot of votes)
09. Jake & Jenna (guessing he’ll dance decently enough to end up around here but probs won’t get many votes)
08. Terra & Sasha (the “inspirational” one so she’ll last a while but I don’t think she’ll be as impactful as Nyle/Noah/Amy/JR)
07. Calvin & Lindsay (these two could be really good or really bad so I have no idea yet but he seems likeable and popular)
06. Maureen & Artem (popular in the demographic so she’ll get votes and most nostalgic women have come in sixth lately)
05. Amber & Maks (thinking we’ll see good dancing as well as some drama but they’ll be entertaining enough to stick around)
04. Marilu & Derek (I think they’ll be likeable and give us some nice performances)
03. James & Sharna (they’ll probably be the likeable couples whose scores trail behind those of several others)
02. Laurie & Val (I think they’ll do well and maybe even win)
01. Jana & Gleb (I was thinking they’d be out before the Finals but after seeing her enthusiasm, how good her frame is already, and that TPTB already seem to be trying to make Gleb “happen” I believe they could very well win it all)

I think all of the women will make it past the first cut. Not sure which guy will be out first, but I’m confident it won’t be James. Calvin and Rick will probably be popular with the show’s main demographic, so it depends on how the rest of them do. I’m going to tentatively say the two I put on the bottom are the two most likely of being eliminated first. Spots #10 to #8 are sort of interchangeable right now as well, and I think Ryan, who I have at #11 at the moment, could end up finishing in any place from #13 to #8.

Okay, middle of the pack. I have no idea about Calvin and Lindsay. They could be the first out or they could win it all. So I put them smack dab in the middle for now because I’m not really sure what they’ll be like. Maureen is at #6 because that’s where most of the recent “nostalgic” women have ended up (Elizabeth, Danica, Lea, Alexa, and Jodie). As I said, I think Jana and Gleb will give us some good performances and be very likeable but somehow they’ll get screwed out of the Finals because I don’t think the producers are as invested in Gleb as certain other pros, and I have a feeling other celebrities are more “important” to them than Jana. Amber and Maks have the potential to be very good and entertaining, but I’m expecting some sort of drama to happen with them and I just don’t think they’ll get quite as much support as the people I have pegged for Top 3.

I can see anyone I pegged for Top 3 winning, but right now it seems like it may be Laurie’s to lose. At first, I thought Marilu might come in fourth, fifth, or sixth place, but I think she and Derek will win a lot of people over. I’m not sure if James will be a great dancer or a mediocre one, but I think his personality will be enough to get him into the Finale or close to it, and if he turns out to be a great dancer, I can absolutely see him taking the trophy.



Additional Comments

Paul Bentley: Unlike last season, where there were multiple pros that I conflicted with to put in the finals spots on preseason predictions ranking list, I actually had trouble figuring out who would make it to the finals. A few of them were one I thought would make it there for sure, but as of now, it looks like this season’s competition will not be nearly as high as last season’s competition. This will definitely be an unpredictable season!

Julia: I can’t believe almost everyone else believes Maureen and Artem are gonna be the second couple eliminated, and that I’m the only one here who thinks Rick will last past the first cut. Is this an ageism thing or just wishful thinking? I think these two fit in with the show’s main viewing demographic well and that so long as they don’t end up waaaaay behind everyone else on the leaderboard (which I can’t even imagine happening in Maureen’s case) they’ll stick around for a bit.

Paul Bentley: I know that for me, it’s not agism, but it does tend to happen where older contests (usually women) are usually one of the first ones to go. For me, I think Maureen has not really been too interesting, and Rick just doesn’t have much of a strong personality compared to some of the very unique ones we have this season. And besides, this season is such a wildcard! Plus, nobody is really that old this season.

Paul Bentley: As of now, I am rooting for Terra and Sasha to win, solely because I already like her character from watching her prior to her announcement of being on the show. I’m also getting a really good vibe from Marilu and Derek, so I’m sure I’ll fall in love with their dancing. I do have to see the premiere dances, though, to see who else I would like to see win the Mirror Ball Trophy!

Paul Bentley: Am I the only one that thinks Allison looks really different this season? In a good way, of course.

Paul Bentley: I’ve been seeing a lot about people thinking that Terra will get “inspiration votes”, but I don’t think that’s the case. I think that she will probably get a lot votes at first, though, because the audience will want to see how they work around each dance style. I wouldn’t exactly think of her as the “inspiration” of the season, but maybe people will feel touched by her story if/when she talks about her childhood, and being made fun of for being a little person. That’s just my take on things.

Paul Bentley: I genuinely think there is a strong possibility that Ryan will be booed after his first dance. Wouldn’t blame the audience to do that, though.

Julia: I don’t think so, because they will probably be instructed NOT to beforehand.




Follow Us on Twitter! (links)
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Fangirl: @24_7dwts
Katie Henry: @katiegotbandzz
Angelina Mikheeva: @angelinarose42
The DWTS 2016 Social Square (run by Paul Bentley): @DWTS2016




GMA Aug 30.jpg

The season 23 cast will be back on Good Morning America on September 7th for more things to come!

What did you think of the cast reveal? Who are you rooting for this season on Dancing With the Stars? What are your preseason predictions? What do you hope to see this season on DWTS?

No comments:

Post a Comment