Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Dancing With the Stars Season 24- Week 2 Dance Overviews

For the first time since season 17, we had a night of Dancing With the Stars without a theme that was not a finale or premiere episode. And with it came the first elimination of the season. The scores were all over the place, and just like the judges, we have our own strong opinions on the dances.


This week, as the first ever guest blogger on DWTS INTERACT, we have Andy (@NancyRashadMani on Twitter) here to give his thoughts on the second week of competition! Andy is the CEO of Dancing With the Fans, which is a DWTS Twitter game that allows fans of the show to compete for their own Mirror Ball Trophy! He also does a DWTS podcast with Julia and @dwtshannah on Twitter!


So, for the second week of season 24 of Dancing With the Stars, here are Paul Bentley’s, Julia Delbel’s, DWTS Dreams’s, and Andys thoughts on the show!






Week 2 Performances


The couples came out with their second performances of the season before the first elimination of the season at the end of the night.


[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli]






Nancy Kerrigan and Artem Chigvintsev
Cha-Cha-Cha: No Rights No Wrongs by Jess Glynne
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28/40)
#TeamBladesOfGlory 1(800)868-3408


W2 Nancy Cha-Cha-Cha.jpg


@TheBentleyNinja: Nancy surprised me with the amount of flare she has with with Latin dance. She was just as graceful with her Cha-Cha-Cha as she was for her Viennese Waltz, and she brought in a little party style to it with Artem guiding her along the way. She still has an issue with keeping her center of balance, and she had a bit of awkwardness with a slightly wide stance. I want to see her open up more, but that can take time. I know that she said that she has problems trusting people when they compliment her, but she has to believe that she is a good dancer because she really is! That confidence can take her a long way!
Bentley’s Score: 7


@DWTSDreams:
Nancy reminds me Zendaya mixed with Brooke Burke. Zendaya had previous experience just like Nancy but had to learn how to be " sexy" and dance in heels. During this week's package being sexy was the hardest thing during the week for Nancy. Nancy has to be comfortable with herself and the comfort of the the movement will come faster. Nancy did a great job this week embracing her fun side but she still needs to build her confidence. There was definitely a major improvement from last week. Some of her technique comes easily for her such a shoulders down and nice lines but the mincemeat between was not flowy. Dance is not a plethora of different movements, rather one fluid move. I look forward to see more next week with Nancy!
DWTS Dream’s Score: 7


@NancyRashadMani: This was a pretty solid dance, but I expected more from it. Some things about her technique seems very natural. For example, she did hit some pretty great lines in this Cha-Cha. But the fluidity of her movement between each line felt awkward. I can’t tell if she’s holding back because she’s nervous, but if that’s the case it’s greatly affecting her performance and is what she most needs to work on in future weeks, because a lot of the technique is there. It was a fun routine to start off the show, but not something that I will easily remember looking back at this season.
Andy’s Score: 7


@JuliaDelbel: I was happy to see Nancy do so well with this Cha-Cha. She’s not yet at 100% with the Latin dances but this routine showed she’ll probably be able to handle them decently going forward. This was a bit of a surprise and a relief for me as I initially thought she’d be a lot stronger in Ballroom. She did seem a bit unsure here and there, but what I liked was that she didn’t let her insecurities get the better of her. I hope Nancy can go far in the competition but right now I’m seeing her as a shock boot around the Top 7-8.
Julia’s Score: 7






Erika Jayne and Gleb Savchenko
Foxtrot: Bad Intentions by Niykee Heaton
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28/40)
#TeamPrettyXXpensive 1(800)868-3405


W2 Erika Foxtrot.jpg


@TheBentleyNinja: It was refreshing to see Erika and Gleb do a more elegant dance, but it still felt like there was something missing in it overall. While she improved technically, the mood of the whole dance felt almost dull in a way. I would have liked to have seen some more pizazz in her movements, as well as some refinement in her stuck frame and shaky traveling. I wish I could have seen more from her in hold, but apparently that’s a thing of the past on this show. I’m worried that this dance just didn’t sell it to the audience, and was overlooked by some of the other stellar performances towards the end of the night. This Foxtrot with Artem was good, but was it good enough to get enough votes to survive the next elimination?
Bentley’s Score: 6


@DWTSDreams: Before I get into critique about the dance I would like to address something. There has been some controversy about Erika and her being maybe too sexy and that blows my mind. Bonner came out week 1 thrusting and the judges call him “ so hot” and “ sexy” and Erika comes out and she is critiqued. I am so fine with a woman embracing her own skin and I will stand for the double standard. Erika is a beautiful strong woman and that is that. With that said I did love seeing Erika embrace her elegant side. This dance was full of improvement from last week. She has great lines and can hit most of the moves but like Nancy has to work on fluidity. I do have to agree with Bentley on her shaky traveling. Erika sometimes gets so caught up in performing that she will go a count fast or too slow causing her to get a shaky frame. I am totally for Erika and I am loving the elegant side and hope to see that more next week!
DWTS Dream’s Score: 6


@NancyRashadMani: For the second week in a row, I’m not a fan of Erika and Gleb’s dance on either of their parts. While Gleb’s choreography was definitely better for the Foxtrot than it was for the Salsa, seeing as this dance actually had content, it still wasn’t anything special and honestly, probably my least favorite of the night in that aspect. As for Erika, she hit some nice lines and had nice fluidity, but it felt like something was missing that I honestly can’t put my finger on. It wasn’t overall my least favorite dance of the night, but it was the most forgettable.
Andy’s Score: 6


@JuliaDelbel: I’m not quite sure what to make of this one. I think Erika did great with what she was given, but the choreography was lacking (the song didn’t help). So basically the same problems as last week, although I think she had better technique in this one. Gleb needs to showcase a different side of Erika- and fast- or they could be sent packing pretty soon.
Julia’s Score: 7






Charo and Keoikantse Motsepe
Paso Doble: España cañi by Charo
The Judges’ Scores: 6, 6, 7, 6 (25/40)
#TeamCuchiCuchi 1(800)868-3402


W2 Charo Paso Doble.jpg


@TheBentleyNinja: Oh, how I love Charo! She came out with tons of intensity and a bunch of character (as she always does)! I’m not going to lie, though. This Paso Doble was a mess. Charo was off time for most of the dance, and Keo had to keep bringing her back on her foot, which was very obvious. In my opinion, Charo stood out both as a fierce performer and as someone who was very off beat. I really liked the costumes, though, and the whole feud between Charo and Bruno afterward was hysterical! I’ve been seeing a lot of people predict that Charo will be the next one to be eliminated, but I honestly don’t see that quite yet. Maybe in a few weeks, but not yet. And as a side note, I really want to see Charo do something like a Foxtrot or Contemporary so we can see a different side to her!
Bentley’s Score: 5


@DWTSDreams: Umm I don't even know what to says;  all I can think of is Keo needs a raise. Some people love Charo but unfortunately I am not a fan of this big act. She was is way too drama packed and I am not enjoying her whole big scene. This was worse than her Salsa last week. During her salsa she had some content but during this dance she seemed lost. I mean don't get me wrong she can't hit the movement but just on the wrong times. I do appreciate Charo for going on the show but I am not a fan.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 4


@NancyRashadMani: Wow, this was such a mess. I was expecting this to be rather good, seeing as she’s a flamenco dancer. But half the time, she looked lost, and there’s one part where I think she was honestly improvising because she forgot the choreography. This was nothing more than a disaster. I honestly don’t understand the score it got at all, as I thought it was much weaker than her Salsa last week. In my opinion, she should be the next to go. I know some people find her personality funny, but I’m quite the opposite and found her quite rude this week. I think she will be the next to go, too.
Andy’s Score: 5


@JuliaDelbel: I actually thought this was alright, but not as good as her Salsa. She got most of the steps down and managed to recover from her mistake but she didn’t have the “attack” I expected from her, being a former Flamenco dancer. I know it was hard to keep up with the fast song but after last week I thought she’d be able to. I know everyone wants her to go home but since the producers put her in jeopardy and she has a nice big three-point lead over Mr. T I’m inclined to believe she’ll be sticking around another week.
Julia’s Score: 6






Nick Viall and Peta Murgatroyd
Foxtrot: Love Me Now by John Legend
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 5, 7, 6 (25/40)
#TeamBabyGotBach 1(800)868-3409


W2 Nick Foxtrot.png


@TheBentleyNinja: This dance had me kind of conflicted. While Nick had some clean lines in her arms, he sometimes threw his arms away. And while he sometimes glided on the floor with ease, he became like an excited puppy with sporadic and hectic movements. I also didn’t see much of a connection between Nick and Peta in this dance as much as I see in their video packages, which makes the tone of the Foxtrot feel a little forced. And by the look of Nick’s face, he seemed to know that his execution of the dance was not his best. And while I disagree with the low score than Len gave this dance, I definitely thought that the sevens were too high. So I ultimately agreed with Bruno’s six.
Bentley’s Score: 6


@DWTSDreams: Nick has got me twisted. On one hand he had great lines but on the other he looked so awkward. He has so much potential and I think the only thing get in his way from reaching that point is himself. He needs to let go and just feel the movement and it will come so much easier to him. He knows how to hit lines and is starting to lead Peta but I am still looking for more. I want to see more head movement, shoulders down, and more elegance. I really love this partnership and I can't wait for more!  
DWTS Dream’s Score: 6


@NancyRashadMani: I didn’t hate it, but I don’t understand the way he executed it at all. It’s confusing to me because his Cha Cha was on a whole different level compared to this. The way he skipped across the floor, as well as his awkward moments in hold, really disappointed me. On a night where 8’s were the highest score given, I can’t say as I agree with the 7’s at all, and honestly wasn’t mad at Len’s 5, either. I hope in his future ballroom dances, he has more control and elegance. This dance looked awkward from beginning to end, and it makes me nervous for his future dances.
Andy’s Score: 6


@JuliaDelbel: So clearly Nick is nervous and I think Peta should be helping him with that. I know she’s tired but it’s part of the job of being a pro and I think having a talk with him about his insecurities may help. As for the dance, I thought the song choice was weird once again and Nick just seemed to be going through the motions and not really FEELING the dance. It just looked like a rehearsal to me.
Julia’s Score: 6






Heather Morris and Alan Bersten (filling in for Maksim Chmerkovskiy)
Jive: Grown by Little Mix
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 6, 8, 8 (30/40)
#TeamMaksimumHeat 1(800)868-3406


W2 Heather Jive.jpg


@TheBentleyNinja: I have to give credit to both Heather and Alan for being able to perform such a show-stopping dance under the circumstances of having just started to dance with each other in lieu of Maks’s absence. Heather’s feet were so sharp, so quick, and so precise that I finally saw the star quality in her this this week that I didn’t quite notice in the premiere episode. And as much as people disagreed with Len on Monday night, I have to agree with him in the fact that I wanted to see more Jive content. There was not much content in hold, and  the content that was executed could have been a bit more graceful. It was refreshing to see Len score the way he felt, and just score the same way as all the other judges. Sure, I thought that a six was bit too harsh, but it’s nice to see the balance between Len’s grouchiness with Julianne’s nearly sickening politeness (Not that being polite is sickening. I just thought that Julianne was abnormally too nice with her comments and scores this week). For this dance, I understood the eight from Bruno, but I thought that the other eights were a bit too high. And being that Heather is already a professional dancer, I have high expectations from her. I love her as a dancer, but I have to be harsh when critiquing her because I know that she is capable of more.
Bentley’s Score: 7


@DWTSDreams: All I can say is “ Len what kind of grumpy drink were your drinking” because that was amazing. I don't understand why the judges are giving her 6’s when this was a great dance. She has amazing technique and great stage presents. Maks is so inspired this season and his concepts and choreography is so perfect with Heather. Alan learned this dance so fast and performed his heart out. I thought that breakdown was just what Heather needed to show her true colors and slay. I feel bad  It was amazing and I can't wait for
DWTS Dream’s Score: 9


@NancyRashadMani: I thought this was great, honestly. Heather and Alan were a good match, and I really liked Maks’s choreography for this. I did think the hip hop section in the middle of the dance, especially the way they did it with Alan leaving and Heather and the girls owning that section, was unnecessary. However, I kinda didn’t care because I was living for it. There was enough jive, in my opinion, before and after that section for me to still score it high, however I get why Len disagrees. I thought her kicks were very impressive for week two, or for any week in that matter. I thought Len’s 6 was too harsh, but I understand why. I thought this was overall very well executed and easily one of my favorite dances of the night.
Andy’s Score: 9


@JuliaDelbel: I thought Heather did well with the Jive for Week 2 and she really sold the routine with her facial expressions. However, I thought the Hip-Hop section felt like a totally different routine and didn’t go with the rest of the dance. The Jive portions were well-executed, though, so clearly the other part didn’t affect how she did there; it just felt unnecessary.
Julia’s Score: 8






Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess
Viennese Waltz: Unlove You by Jennifer Nettles
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 6, 8, 7 (29/40)
#TeamDenimNDiamonds 1(800)868-3401


W2 Bonner Viennese Waltz.jpg


@TheBentleyNinja: Just like most of the DWTS viewing audience, I, too, am a bit over the connection between Bonner and Sharna, whether there is an actual romantic connection or not. Yes, this dance was about the romance, but that can be done with more than just a few stares and body contact. I still liked this Viennese Waltz, though. It was a huge improvement from last week (possibly the biggest improvement of the night), and while I still feel like I only know one layer of Bonner, I saw him grow as a performer. He is steady with his movement, and he is also very aware of the music in connection to how his body translates the beat. I still feel like Bonner needs to dance bigger. I could see Bonner counting the steps in his head, and he looked a bit robotic at times, but he still managed to create a lovely performance with Sharna.
Bentley’s Score: 7


@NancyRashadMani: While I’m clearly not Bonner’s biggest fan, and I also am very tired of this showmance, I don’t necessarily dislike them as a competing pair. I enjoyed this dance quite a bit, honestly. Sharna’s choreography was good aside from the almost kissing part. I definitely would call it an improvement from week one. His frame was good, for the most part, but it still seemed stiff while traveling around the floor. I also still don’t really feel anything from him, he still seems so dull personality wise and it shows in his performance. I can’t say as I understand where the 8’s came from at all, and think the score should have been along the lines of 7-6-7-6.
Andy’s Score: 6


@JuliaDelbel: I’m already sick of the showmance, how forced it is, and how they started pushing it so early on that I feel like I know nothing about Bonner except that he supposedly has good chemistry with Sharna (which I don’t see to be honest). The routine was okay and the Ballroom dances are clearly better-suited to Bonner than the Latin ones. He was kind of wooden in some places but did well in other spots. My biggest problem was that I didn’t feel any emotion from watching him and yet he’s getting praised for having such an amazing connection with Sharna on the dance floor. Like, how?
Julia’s Score: 7


@DWTSDreams: Bonner had major improvement from his last performance but I still want so much more. I am so tired of this showmance and it is so exhausting. Some showmances are cute and sweet but this is so forced it makes me want to throw up. I feel bad for Sharna and Bonner because everyone is paying so much attention on their romance and not on their actual dance. I love Sharna to the death and when I met her she was the sweetest human ever but her choreography this season is not what it used to be. When Sharna inspired she comes up with incredible routines but with Bonner everything seems the same and their is nothing special.  
DWTS Dream’s Score: 7






Simone Biles and Sasha Farber
Cha-Cha-Cha: Burnin’ Up by Jessie J featuring 2 Chainz
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7, 8 (29/40)
#TeamGoldenGiggles 1(800)868-3412


W2 Simone Cha-Cha-Cha.jpg


@TheBentleyNinja: I was thinking last week that there was a chance that Simone might not be able to perform further than just her amazing technique, but I was glad to see that my suspicions were wrong. Simone was a classy form of sexy, still  having fun with a style that she seemed timid to perform at first in the video package. This was by far my favorite dance of the night! Simone and Sasha went all out with this Cha-Cha-Cha, and they did so with just the right amount of technique, fun, fire, and in-your-face choreography. The only things that I saw that Simone could improve on was being able to contain her energy better and becoming just slightly more light in her steps. But overall, this dance impressed me!
Bentley’s Score: 8


@NancyRashadMani: I have some things to say about this routine after having watched it a few times. I didn’t hate it, by any means. She had some pretty solid technique and execution, but it wasn’t great either. In some ways, I feel like she could go just a little more full out. Part of my problem with this dance though, is on Sasha’s part, for two (related) reasons. For one, I didn’t think there was enough content. If you compared it to Normani’s, which I will get to later, this was only half the Cha-Cha that was. I would prefer a full routine with content from beginning to end, especially in a dance like Cha-Cha. My other reason, which is connected to the first one, was the beyond unnecessary part on the floor that ended with them flipping themselves up backwards. Sasha, we know that Simone is a gymnast, we know she can do flips and other Gymnastic things. That’s not what she’s here to do. Would I be fine with some gymnastics in her freestyle, if she makes the finale? Yeah, sure. Do I think that it should be showcased in any other dance throughout the season? Maybe her Most Memorable Year routine, if it’s about Rio, but otherwise no, not at all. Do I fear Sasha’s gonna continuously pull it out in future routines? Yeah I kinda do. I hope for their sake that I’m wrong, and their future dances are more jam packed with content with no gymnastics, but we shall see.
Andy’s Score: 7


@DWTSDreams: Simone did an incredible job this week! This routine was fill out sharp lines, fierce personality, and great technically. I do hope Simone embraces being a little more fierce during her upcoming routines. She is still a little stiff and I would love to see her let loose more. I thought this routine was a perfect balance between Cha-Cha- Cha and a couple fun moves. In a way the  Cha-Cha-Cha has a small bit of the freestyle mixed into because it isn't as strict as some styles.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 8


@JuliaDelbel: I think it was a smart move for Sasha to try to get Simone to focus on the sexy aspects of this routine because starting on that early will help her ease into it and she’ll probably be more comfortable with it when she gets a Rumba or Argentine Tango. I thought she performed well but her facial expressions need work. She had the same plastered-on smile as last week that I know she’s used to whipping out for her gymnastics competitions but we need to see some variety here. I agree with Andy that I hope Sasha doesn’t put gymnastics in all of their routines but for what it’s worth I think the sections without Cha-Cha content were blended into the dance pretty well; it wasn’t like Heather’s Jive where the out-of-style portion felt out of place.
Julia’s Score: 8




Chris Kattan and Witney Carson Eliminated- 12th Place
Jazz: Hey Ya! By Outkast
The Judges’ Scores: 6, 5, 6, 5 (22/40) Lowest Score of the Night
#TeamMangoTango 1(800)868-3403


W2 Chris Jazz.jpg


@TheBentleyNinja: Watching Chris’s video package was sad to watch. I can tell that he was really invested in the show, but his preexisting injury held him back. Good on Chris for calling out the video package editors for not pointing out how bad his injury actually was last week! Chris did do better this week than last week, but only very slightly. I definitely thought that this Jazz routine was overscored, but I don’t mind, especially since it was clear that he wasn’t going to make it too far in the competition anyway. I loved the touches of humor throughout the dance that didn’t overwhelm the routine like his Cha-Cha-Cha, and I loved the personality that shined through the performance even more! Witney created some creative choreography once again that suited Chris, but i was obviously filled with a lack of technique and mistakes. I know that it was their time to go on Monday, but I still feel bad over their elimination. It was fun to see Chris doing something that he wanted to do for awhile now, and I appreciated seeing his enthusiasm in the brief amount of time that he was on the show!
Bentley’s Score: 4


@DWTSDreams: To be honest I don't have a lot to say about this one. I am proud of Chris for going this competition even with his neck injury and i did feel for him when he left. He seemed like he was giving his all and that is all we could ask for in the competition. This wasn't a Jazz dance though. She could have at least put in some simple Jazz technique such as Chassé, a ball change, and even a kick sequence.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 4


@NancyRashadMani: This was…. Interesting. I appreciate where Witney was going with this from a creative standpoint, but I just didn’t like it as a Jazz. This one’s hard to judge for me because there really wasn’t any “jazz” to judge, so I’ll just say that I was honestly sad to see him go. I give him major props for getting out here these last two weeks and doing his best despite his disadvantages. If it were up to me, he would have placed in 10th after Bonner and Charo, both of who I don’t enjoy much. I hope he does something fun for the finale.
Andy’s Score: 5


@JuliaDelbel: If this had been a Jive like we were originally informed it was I would have scored it a lot lower, but as a Jazz routine (well, in the vein of what is considered “Jazz” on DWTS) I found it enjoyable enough. He seemed more comfortable this week and actually managed to successfully execute most of the choreography Witney gave him. I also liked how the performance played to his strengths with the character and all. I agree with Andy that I would have preferred Bonner to go this week instead of Chris but we all knew that wasn’t going to happen.
Julia’s Score: 6






Normani Kordei and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Cha-Cha-Cha: Give Me Your Love by Sigala
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 8, 8, 8 (32/40) Highest Score of the Night
#TeamValMani 1(800)868-3410


W2 Normani Cha-Cha-Cha.jpg


@NancyRashadMani: I want to start by saying that I loved Val’s choreography for this. It had the most content of any of the Cha Cha’s done this week, and was perfectly suited for Normani. I was a little nervous to see how they would do this week given their traveling situation, but Normani executed this dance very well. She easily had the best technique out of all the Cha Cha’s this week as well. The one thing that I wasn’t a fan of was having the crowd on stage, which always bothers me. Not only is it distracting to me, but I don’t understand how the judges are supposed to see her, especially her footwork which is very important in a Cha Cha.
Andy’s Score: 8


@TheBentleyNinja: Even with Normani’s hectic schedule, Normani came out and crushed that Cha-Cha-Cha! This was a solid dance, and it was very fluid, but I feel as though it was too fluid. It wasn’t as hard-hitting as I would expect for a dance like this, but I give her points for actually improving herself with some of her weaknesses from last week, such as with how frantic she was last time. Andy is spot-on in saying that the crowd was a distraction because instead of the crowd, I would rather see Normani’s amazing footwork. I think the judges are able to watch the dance on tablets now to get a better angle, but I don’t really think was a good camera angle that didn’t have people covering Normani and Val. But that doesn’t change the fact that Normani had superb hip action and an improved upper frame (although it could still be a little more stable). But with her schedule continuing to be grueling, I wonder if Normani will reach a point where everything becomes too much for her handle.
Bentley’s Score: 8


@DWTSDreams: Val seems so inspired this season and I am loving it. This choreography was so fun and innovate! I have such major props for what Normani is doing. I can't imagine doing shows in Japan then on show day filming have way across the world and performing. She has an incredible work ethic. She has great technique and of course musicality. I didn't think the people on the floor was distracting but it did add a fun element.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 8


@JuliaDelbel: I wish we were able to see this dance better, but unfortunately it had that annoying set-up of being on a small platform surrounded by the audience, which was especially a shame because I thought this was the best dance of the night! I heard some people say this routine didn’t have enough content in it and I disagree, especially considering some of the other ones we saw Monday night. Val stuck to the basics this week and Normani gave a good performance. She seems at ease with the smoother styles and sold the number performance-value-wise too. She had great hip action and fluidity in her movements.
Julia’s Score: 8






Rashad Jennings and Emma Slater
Viennese Waltz: Suffer by Charlie Puth
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 8, 8, 8 (32/40) Highest Score of the Night
#TeamShadSquad 1(800)868-3411


W2 Rashad Viennese Waltz.jpg


@NancyRashadMani: There wasn’t anything about this dance that I didn’t like, honestly. Emma’s choreography was great, and Rashad honestly executed it better than I was expecting. I loved his frame and his natural fluidity throughout the movements. Their partnership, overall, is so much more connected and exciting than the partnership that’s getting all the media coverage this season. So far, Rashad’s two dances are my two favorite dances of the season, and I can’t wait to see what they have in store for future weeks.
Andy’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: While the judges were raving about Bonner and Sharna’s chemistry, I think they forgot to appreciate the even better connection between Rashad and Emma! These two dance as one! While I did see Rashad just barely throw away his arms twice, and he was just a hair off from Emma’s positioning at one point, he was very refined in his movement. At the beginning of the dance, it looked as though Rashad was scooting around, but he fixed that quickly. I absolutely loved the aesthetic of this Viennese Waltz, especially with the lighting of the blinds, making for a tastefully sensual dance!
Bentley’s Score: 8


@DWTSDreams: Emma Slater keeps raising the bar week after week. I am so proud of her and so excited that she has a capable partner. Rashad is a force to be reckoned with. He has great lines, good footwork, great head movement; his shoulders are down, he is not bouncy. I mean, there is nothing to not like about this routine!
DWTS Dream’s Score: 9


@JuliaDelbel: I think rashad did a good job this week and really connected to the story of the dance. His technique was decent (though he is still a bit flat-footed at times) and the choreography was alright but what really sold it was the natural chemistry between rashad and Emma. Like Bentley said, it struck a good balance between tasteful and sensual. At this point, I think these two are going to win. They seem to be the one couple everyone can agree on as a top favorite.
Julia’s Score: 8




Mr. T and Kym Johnson-Herjavec
Paso Doble: Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
The Judges’ Scores: 6, 5, 6, 5 (22/40) Lowest Score of the Night
#TeamDancinFools 1(800)868-3407


W2 Mr T Paso Doble.jpg


@NancyRashadMani: Based on rankings and reviews that I’ve seen online, I want to say that I’m the biggest fan of this dance. Was it great? No, it wasn’t, and it was fairly scored with two 5’s and two 6’s in my opinion. But I just loved it so much. Kym’s choreography was honestly genius, having him do very simple content to hide the fact that he’s not at all a dancer. Even though it was so easy, it was definitely more content than his Cha Cha had last week, and he wasn’t off time like he was with the Cha Cha either. With whatever dance they have next, I hope Kym does something similar with her choreography, because I think it really worked well.
Andy’s Score: 6


@TheBentleyNinja: There wasn’t too much to this dance, but it was enough for Mr. T to handle without fumbling all over the place. The intensity was completely there (even though it came off as stiff) and he and Kym together represented the dance of the bull in the way it’s supposed to be danced- intensely. There is still a lot needed to be clean up as well as some technical issues, but it still an improvement from last week. But as I said before, there obviously was not enough content, and the content that was done was slow. But how can I blame Kym for that? She’s only doing what best helps Mr. T progress as a dancer. And it takes a good teacher to adapt to his or her partner’s needs to improve.
Bentley’s Score: 5


@DWTSDreams: Mr. T is definitely working hard and giving his all. Based on rankings and things I guess he will be gone soon. He needs to work on musicality among other things.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 6


@JuliaDelbel: This was better than last week since Mr. T managed to stay on time and compete all the moves but it just felt awkward to me, probably because he was standing in one place for most of it. I do think Kym had a better idea of how to balance giving Mr. T something he could handle while still including content of the style in the routine. I have a feeling these two are going to be leaving next week, seeing how far behind they are the next-lowest score on the leaderboard. Had they been “in jeopardy” this week it may have helped but even then it’s a big margin for voters to cover.
Julia’s Score: 5






David Ross and Lindsay Arnold
Cha-Cha-Cha: Bust A Move by Young MC
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 6, 7, 7 (27/40)
#TeamLadyAndTheGramp 1(800)868-3404


W2 David Cha-Cha-Cha.jpg


@NancyRashadMani: Looking at reviews I saw of this dance, I really didn’t think it was as bad as some other people did. I personally think the 7’s were correct for the score. I was impressed by how well he executed the Cha Cha sections. And while the fluff sections weren’t necessary and it would have been nice to have more content, I did enjoy them. It was entertaining and overall a great way to end the show.
Andy’s Score: 7


@TheBentleyNinja: Well this was quite interesting, wasn’t it? I was not expecting such a cool 90’s dance from these two! David was in perfect character for this dance, and it translated into his smooth dancing! Both David and Lindsay looked like they were having genuine fun, which is always enjoyable to watch! However, David’s Latin technique appears a tad weaker than his ballroom technique. He was clunky with his steps, his arms were sometimes wondering what to do, and it looked like he relied too much on Lindsay (except for that awesome solo!). The Cha-Cha-Cha was still amazing, though! Before the season, I thought that David might be a boring dancer, but I saw surely wrong about that!
Bentley’s Score: 6


@DWTSDreams: David keeps surprising me week after week.  I definitely think David could place in the top 6. I am so excited to see where he goes! He needs to work on his technique, but it was overall great!
DWTS Dream’s Score: 7


@JuliaDelbel: This was pretty much what I expected to be. When I heard it was going to be the last dance of the night I thought we were in for a surprise, but it was just an okay dance. It was fun, but nothing special. It was also another routine that incorporated quite a few moves not related to the assigned style, but it was more similar to Simone’s dance than Heather’s in that Lindsay managed to seamlessly weave the extra stuff in so it didn’t feel to jarring. David wasn’t that great at executing the Cha-Cha content and seemed to be confused of falling behind a bit at times. I don’t think it’ll matter too much, though, because I get the feeling the reason this ended the night was that he got more votes than anyone else for Week 1. That’s not confirmed, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. So David and Lindsay should be around for a long time.
Julia’s Score: 6






Rankings of the Week 2 Dances


@TheBentleyNinja
1. Simone & Sasha
2. Rashad & Emma
3. Normani & Val
4. Heather & Alan (Maks)
5. Nancy & Artem
6. Bonner & Sharna
7. Erika & Gleb
8. David & Lindsay
9. Nick & Peta
10. Mr. T & Kym
11. Charo & Keo
12. Chris & Witney


@juliadelbel
1. Normani & Val
2. Simone & Sasha
3. Heather & Alan (Maks)
4. Rashad & Emma
5. Nancy & Artem
6. Bonner & Sharna
7. Erika & Gleb
8. David & Lindsay
9. Nick & Peta
10. Chris & Witney
11. Charo & Keo
12. Mr. T & Kym


@DWTSDreams
1. Normani & Val
2. Heather & Alan (Maks)
3. Simone & Sasha
4. Rashad & Emma
5. Nancy & Artem
6. Erika & Gleb
7. Bonner & Sharna
8. David & Lindsay
9. Nick & Peta
10. Charo & Keo
11. Mr. T & Kym
12. Chris & Witney  

@NancyRashadMani
1. Rashad & Emma
2. Heather & Alan (Maks)
3. Normani & Val
4. David & Lindsay
5. Simone & Sasha
6. Nancy & Artem
7. Bonner & Sharna
8. Mr. T & Kym
9. Erika & Gleb
10. Nick & Peta
11. Charo & Keo
12. Chris & Witney






Andy’s Final Comments


@NancyRashadMani: Overall, I enjoyed week two a lot. It had some fun dances and it really helped solidify my favorites for me. After two weeks, the only person I have voted for is Rashad. He’s my clear favorite right now and is honestly already shaping up to be one of my favorite contestants ever. The other two contestants that I would be happy with winning based on what we’ve seen so far are Heather and Normani. David is honestly my fourth favorite, because I’ve just overly enjoyed both of his dances so far. Nancy and Simone are next, followed by Erika, Nick, and Mr. T. My two overall least favorites right now are Charo and Bonner, who I hope are the next two eliminations. Overall, I really love this season and can’t wait to see what the future weeks hold for us.





Make sure you read our thoughts on the dances every Wednesday, and additional thoughts and analyses every Friday throughout season 24 of Dancing With the Stars on the DWTS INTERACT blog!








W2 Chris Elimination.jpg






Follow us on Twitter!
DWTS Dreams: @24_7dwts
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja






#DWTS #DWTS24

DWTS_Season24.png

No comments:

Post a Comment