Monday, March 6, 2017

Pre-Season Spotlight On Charo and Keoikantse Motsepe

Every weekday leading up to the big premiere we’ll be putting the spotlight on one of the Season 24 couples by introducing the celebrity to readers who may not be familiar with their work and sharing our personal thoughts on the pairing!


Today’s spotlight is shining on musician and actor Charo!



While the Spanish-born singer’s birthday is unclear (there have been conflicting reports over the years) I think it can be safely assumed that she is the oldest contestant of Dancing With the Stars Season 24, and has had the longest career out of anyone on this season! Let’s take a look at some of the highlights….


Throughout the 1960’s and 70’s, Charo performed on various variety and talk shows.




She was also a frequent guest on the hit comedy series, The Love Boat.



And of course, she is best known as a musician, so she’s had her share of music videos...


...and concerts.

Oh, and fun fact, she has actually appeared on DWTS before!




Charo’s dance partner is Keoikantse Motsepe. Keo originally started dancing in South Africa before joining the cast of the live dance show Burn the Floor in North America. He later joined the cast of DWTS and spent four seasons as a pro before becoming part of the troupe in Season 23. Some of highlights from Keo’s time as part of the DWTS family include:




@TheBentleyNinja: I already love Charo! She is so outgoing and funny that it’s contagious! She seems to be in very good shape for her age, and she is clearly very used to wearing very high heels, so dancing a Rumba in Cuban heels should be easier to her than some others. I can see her doing really well in the Latin styles because of outgoing she is with everything, but the ballroom technique might be a different story. However, if anyone is out there to surprise us, it’s Charo.


I know that Dancing With the Stars fans all over have been complaining about how Keo never really gets clear contenders as his partners, which is true, but I am going to love watching him have a blast with her like he had with some of his other partners. Keo has a really positive attitude with things, and I think that is just what is needed to mash with Charo’s character for everything to work. If he is able to bring out her party-like traits onto the dance floor but in a more contained and graceful way, these two might actually have something really good going on with them!


But, as we all know, older people tend to not do as well on this show as most others. But there are exceptions, and I’m hoping that Charo is one of them because not only is she on my DWTS fantasy team, but she is also a contestant who I know I am going to miss when she leaves, especially because she will be able to liven up any dance like we’ve never seen before!


I don’t think Charo and Keo are necessarily going to get the best scores, but as any seasoned fan of Dancing With the Stars knows, the scores can mean nothing if there is a fan base big enough out there to help them move along every week. With this cast, though, that might be a bit of a concern for Charo. Let’s just hope she makes some good impressions!


@dwtsdreams: At first I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about Charo being on the show, but she is so entertaining. She has so much energy and she seems to be having a blast. She is also affectionate and I have a blast watching her and Keo’s funny snapchats.


Latin styles and Charo seem to mix well. She has great energy which will probably translate into “better scores” for Latin. Like Bentley said, she seems to dance great in high heels and seems very comfortable doing Latin movements. She has some experience in Latin which will help her. I am worried about her and ballroom. She is very outgoing and I am worried that she will try to “overdo” ballroom and not grasp the technique.


Keo and Charo have a great connection where both people are content with each other. Most of Keo’s past partners have seem a little shy and not willing to fully commit and Charo is the opposite. I was hoping for Keo to have a capable partner, and I am not saying Charo is not capable but every other female celeb has a ton of dance experience and is younger. Keo is a great sport, but I would just love to seem him with someone more capable in future seasons.


How far will Charo go? I don't think very far because she is competing against a gymnast, an ice skater, former dancer, two singers who are constantly dancing etc.


My excitement level isn't super high for this team but it will be interesting to see what Keo does with her.


@juliadelbel: When I first heard Charo was going to be on the show I did a quick overview of her personality and career and immediately predicted her to be the first boot. But after seeing her on Good Morning America last week and finding out more about her dance skills I think she may last a few weeks. I’m noticing that a lot of people are very excited for her, which I found kind of surprising, but it makes me optimistic that she’ll fare okay in the ballroom.


At first I was surprised they put Charo with Keo (mostly due to the height difference but also because I was getting the sense he got a ringer based on his hints) but after seeing how casting for this season shook out I think this was probably a good choice. I’m happy to see that Keo has someone who isn’t a ringer but is actually enthusiastic about the competition and excited to learn the dances. I think it will be very different from any partnership that he’s had up to this point and I’m quite excited to see these two in action!


IMG_20170301_083639.jpg

TOMORROW: What in Sharnation is going on? (stolen from Mike on twitter :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment