Friday, October 20, 2017

DWTS Season 25- Week 5 (Disney Night) Dance Overviews

It’s the midpoint of the season, and for the fifth week of the competition, the top ten couples competed in the most magical night of the season-- Disney Night! And for the first time ever, we get the Disney theme in the Fall!

Here to review the dances from the night are Julia Delbel, Paul Bentley, and Dwtsdreams!




Disney Through the Ages

The couples performed routines in honor of Disney movies ranging from the first half of the twentieth century all the way to 2017! They danced in chronological order of when the movies were released, and before the night came to an end, another couple was eliminated.




Victoria Arlen and Val Chmerkovskiy
Jazz

W5 Victoria Jazz.jpg

Steamboat Willie from Steamboat Willie (1928)

Bentley This was an overall charming routine that brought out what classic Disney is all about. There was a good variety of steps, a cool production, and a creative blend of classical and modern choreography. It was interesting seeing Victoria and Val turn such a basic, two-dimensional cartoon into something vibrant and lively while still staying true to the original cartoon. Victoria was very aware of movements, but sometimes she was just a hair off of the music, and frankly, she could have put just a tiny bit more power into her movements. But in the end, this Jazz was some good, old-fashioned fun!

Julia I thought this captured the tone and spirit of Steamboat Willie perfectly, and the set and costumes were really cool (though why no mouse ears?). However, the choreography itself left something to be desired. It was just really fluffy, with quite a few sections with minimal movement. Also, Victoria and Val were noticeably out of sync a couple times. I think it was more than enough to survive the next elimination but these two are going to have to give us something mind-blowing soon or they could enter the danger zone in the next few weeks.

Dream I really enjoyed this dance, but there are more creative boundaries that can be pushed, and I look forward to see Val push those boundaries. In terms of choreography, it was basic and was more “Charleston-y” than Jazz.

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
9
Len
9
Bruno
9
Total
27/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
9
Dwtsdreams
8
Julia
8
Total
25/30

#TeamViVa 1(800)868-3413




Vanessa Lachey and Maks Chmerkovskiy
Waltz

W5 Vanessa Waltz.jpg

Un Jour Mon Prince Viendra from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Bentley Vanessa had a nice to flow with her sense of musicality, but in all honesty, there were a few sections of this Waltz that made me cringe. Vanessa was not as steady as I have come to know her to be, and in certain sections, she was relying on Maks way too much to keep control and shift their weight together. I just wonder what exactly happened this week that made Vanessa go a bit backwards in her progress like this. It was still very elegant and lovely, but Vanessa needs to find her footing again!

Julia I tried to watch this a few times but whenever I did I ended up either zoning out or getting distracted by something else. What I remember of the dance was decent enough, but the only aspect of it that stood out to me was unfortunately a negative one: for the second week in a row, there was a very obvious lack of chemistry between Vanessa and Maks. I’m glad they’re not letting whatever went on between them to interfere too much, but they need to get that “spark” back, and fast. Unfortunately, I think she’s one of the people most in danger next week but I hope she pulls through.

Dream Chemistry is a huge aspect in dance, and when there is none, it affects the dance a lot. In terms of choreography, it was nothing special and just basic Waltz. Vanessa did have a nice flow to her in terms of keeping on beat, but otherwise, her flow in movements is still and little rigid. Vanessa has lots of potential, it is just about when or if she can reach it.

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
8
Len
8
Bruno
8
Total
24/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
7
Dwtsdreams
7
Julia
8
Total
22/30

#TeamBabiesAndBallroom 1(800)868-3412




Lindsey Stirling and Mark Ballas
Foxtrot

W5 Lindsey.jpg

When You Wish Upon a Star from Pinocchio (1940)

Bentley I don’t think I’ve ever seen a couple on this show before that made me love them more and more after every single dance like Lindsey and Mark does! It’s almost indescribable how magical this dance was. I’m not even that much of a Disney person, but I’d be lying if I said this Foxtrot didn’t make me want to go to “The Happiest Place on Earth!” Just Lindsey’s ballerina-like fluidity alone made this dance truly special, especially with the simple touch of Mickey Mouse on the piano in the background! Once again, I’m kind of baffled that Lindsey got the score she got because… what exactly did the judges take points off for?! No matter what Carrie Ann and Bruno took a point off for, I’m still all about this dance, and I thought that it would have been the most appropriate dance of the night to receive all Disney tens! Lindsey was the absolute definition of grace (she came a long way from her week 2 Salsa!), and with Mark’s lead, these two were the clear stand-out couple for the first half of the night for me!

Julia I loved the direction they took with this number by using the instrumental jazz arrangement of the song and having Mickey "play the piano" during the performance. It was a nice touch of Disney that didn’t distract from what was otherwise a pretty traditional Foxtrot. The choreography was beautiful and chock-full of content that Lindsey executed expertly. I wish Carrie Ann and Bruno had explained why they didn’t give this a 10 since they didn’t point out anything wrong with it.

Dream Mark delivered with a classic, timeless, yet creative piece. It was a gorgeous Foxtrot, and Lindsey’s technique was impeccable.   

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
9
Len
10
Bruno
9
Total
28/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
10
Dwtsdreams
10
Julia
10
Total
30/30

#TeamSTARK 1(800)868-3407




Nick Lachey and Peta Murgatroyd
Quickstep

W5 Nick.jpg

The Bare Necessities from The Jungle Book (1967)

Bentley After a few weeks of feeling like I am missing out on Nick’s personality, I feel like this Quickstep revitalized some of the some of the character I saw in him during the first week. The dance was still uneven when comparing Peta’s clearly superior technique to his, but I finally see some improvement that isn’t just in technique; he’s refining his whole demeanor on the dance floor, and if he has a breakout because of this, that can make a significant change in his scores from the judges. For this performance in particular, I think he more charm than he usually delivers to us, but his feet not coming off the ground very high was a bit of a distraction. That all being said, though, despite Nick’s improvement, he still has a bit of work to do to get to the level of some of the people above him dance-wise.

Julia I think this was an improvement in both technique and performance for Nick. He looked happy to be out there dancing and managed to keep up with Peta until things started to deteriorate near the end of the number. While this was cute, Nick is still the weakest dancer remaining in the competition, and I don’t think he has much time left before that catches up with him and he gets eliminated.

Dream I still think that Nick nick is lacking personality, and that lack of character really weighs into his dancing. I mean, he is cute and smiley, but he doesn't dive into the emotions of the dance. His technique was a little better, though!

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
7
Len
8
Bruno
7
Total
22/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
7
Dwtsdreams
7
Julia
7
Total
21/30

#TeamMomAndPops 1(800)868-3408




Drew Scott and Emma Slater
Viennese Waltz

W5 Drew.jpg

Rainbow Connection from The Muppet Movie (1979)

Bentley I was doubtful at the beginning of the season that Drew was going to be able to fix the many errors he had in his technique, but here he is in week 5 with his best dance yet, carrying himself on the floor in a way that I never thought I’d see from him! Just like with Nick, though, but to a lesser extent, Drew still has work to do to completely get over the obstacle he has to get over, especially in the dances that are not ballroom style. But for the Viennese Waltz, Drew demonstrated a newfound calmness as well as an incredibly cleaned-up hold that was atrocious early on. He was still a bit squatty and just the slightest bit wobbly, even though that is minor compared to what I have critiqued about some of his earlier performances!

Julia Drew’s dance assignments thus far have been pretty Standard Ballroom-heavy, and even one of his Latin styles (Argentine Tango) was more of a Latin-Ballroom fusion. I’m a little nervous to see him in certain Latin styles, but the focus on Ballroom so far has allowed him to really focus on improving things like his frame and ability to lead (or at least appear to be leading) which has resulted in a Viennese Waltz performance that was very strong for only the fifth week of the competition. The one thing that stuck out as a small negative of this performance was that his head seemed to be sort of frozen in one place the whole time, which didn’t match the smoothness of his arm and leg movements. (I’m not sure I’m describing that correctly, LOL.)

Bentley I think I know what you’re talking about, Julia. XD

Dream Cleaner lines, better shoulders, and a longer neck are all things that describe this dance. Drew needs to work on fluidity in his lines, and not creating weird things with his hands, though. I really enjoyed this dance that was filled with sweetness and magic.

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
9
Len
8
Bruno
8
Total
25/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
9
Dwtsdreams
8
Julia
9
Total
26/30

#TeamHotProperty 1(800)868-3404




Sasha Pieterse and Gleb Savchenko
Rumba
Eliminated- 10th Place

W5 Sasha.jpg

Kiss the Girl from The Little Mermaid (1989)

Bentley Although I don’t think that was necessarily Sasha’s best dance, it did end up being my favorite from her. Sasha was perfect as the role of Ariel, portraying a sort of cheekiness that was also classy at the same time. She did seem a bit disconnected from Gleb, but as far as her movements go, she fixed a lot of little things since her last Latin dance. Her hips were on point, her arms beautifully stemmed from the core (although they could have been smoother), and she finally performed as an individual, and not just as Gleb’s partner. The Rumba was still a little rough at certain moments, but it was still a great portrayal of her growth on the show. And just how I feel like the other eliminated couples this season ended on high notes, I think the same with this couple. Sure, she was weaker than some others, but it’s still kind of sad to see someone working so hard and accomplishing so much to be eliminated.

Julia I think Sasha executed her movements is this Rumba correctly (I don’t know what they’re called because LBR I’m mostly here to provide insight on the “reality TV” aspects of this show and sometimes the acting and staging of the dances, not the technical stuff), but she was a little stiff. Not sure if it was her or the choreography, but this ended up being more of a staccato Rumba than a smooth one. It was sad but not unexpected to see Sasha and Gleb go this week, but I think it shows how important it is for a couple to stick in people’s minds (probably even more than it is for them to dance well!).

Dream I wasn’t the biggest fan of this concept mixed with this dance style, but Sasha performed the choreography given to her well! She had lots of hip action and really worked on hitting those lines!

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
8
Len
8
Bruno
8
Total
24/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
7
Dwtsdreams
7
Julia
8
Total
22/30

#TeamATeam 1(800)868-3410




Terrell Owens and Cheryl Burke
Quickstep

W5 Terrell.jpg

I Just Can’t Wait to be King from The Lion King (1994)

Bentley It’s hard for Terrell to top his Viennese Waltz from last week, but this Quickstep came pretty close. He used his strength to the best of his advantage like he did last week, but due to the tempo and speed of this style, he ended up losing the stillness in his frame. Plus, I think that Terrell should have paid closer attention to his feet, but they could have been worse. My favorite part of this performance has to be how Terrell brought out a fun side to him that didn’t feel awkward or forced like his dance from the first week, so props to him in that aspect! I was thinking for a little while that Terrell and Cheryl might be in trouble these next few weeks, and although I still think that it’s a possibility that they can be eliminated soon, I am not as confident on that prediction as I was before. This was a week filled with tons of improvement, though, and maybe there might be too much competition for these two to keep up with.

Julia Terrell had the opposite issue with his Quickstep that Nick did earlier in the night with his: while Nick started strong and fell apart towards the end, Terrell was a little rocky at the beginning but soon eased into the dance, even though his frame had some minor issues later on. I agree with Bentley that Terrell’s acting is improving, with his joy during this performance coming across very naturally. I think Terrell is back in the danger zone this week and will probably be leaving soon, but he might have another week or two in him.

Dream Although I have been hard on Terrell, he has been improving. He is starting to get more comfortable with Cheryl, and is utilizing his athleticism to complete the dance with power. He did start of a little rigid and messy, but at the end of the dance he was creating cleaner lines.

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
9
Len
8
Bruno
8
Total
25/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
8
Dwtsdreams
7
Julia
7
Total
22/30

#TeamGetchaPopcorn 1(800)868-3411




Frankie Muniz and Witney Carson
Argentine Tango

W5 Frankie.jpg

Angelica from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

Bentley And the awesomeness of the Pirates of the Caribbean dances continues! Like Carrie Ann said, this dance was like multiple Argentine Tangos in one, showcasing all of the different dynamics of motion that fit perfectly with the intense music. Frankie was fully in character, and not only did he frame Witney really well, but he did so in a way that showcased his own strengths as well as hers. And I hate to say it, but I did some errors, mainly in Frankie’s center of balance and his lack of precision in his feet at times. But besides that, I think that Frankie came out bigger and better than ever, and I can only hope that he can stay on this track to keep moving forward. There’s still a part of me,though, that feels like that this might be Frankie’s highest peak, and he might not necessarily be able to break through the threshold to get a perfect score.

Julia The best part of this performance was definitely the characters Frankie and Witney played! They were both very into their roles, and it made the performance so captivating to watch! Of course, the dancing was also great. Even though Frankie was mostly just framing Witney, he did a very good job with doing so, even though at times he was wobbly and seemed just a little hesitant. At this point, I’m sure Frankie will be a Finalist and will get at least one perfect score, but he might have some bumps along the way between now and then. All part of “the journey,” I suppose. :P
Dream Frankie surprises me every week, and he constantly raises the bar. He is not a naturally gifted dancer, but he works so hard and is slowly working his way towards the top.  In terms of technique, he loses his core sometimes, which puts his arms out of whack. This was a very fun dance!

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
10
Len
9
Bruno
10
Total
29/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
9
Dwtsdreams
8
Julia
9
Total
26/30

#TeamFranneyPack 1(800)868-3405




Jordan Fisher and Lindsay Arnold
Foxtrot

W5 Jordan.jpg

You’re Welcome from Moana (2016)

Bentley Jordan’s quality of movement is so strong and mesmerizing that it’s practically impossible to pick out the pro between he and Lindsay! This was a very deserving number to receive the first perfect score of the season because, well, why not?! It was cheerful, pleasing to the eye, and kind of nostalgic in a weird way. When Jordan dances, he doesn’t just perform the choreography-- he performs with the most perfect facial expressions, attitude, energy, and everything else in between! The partnership between Jordan and Lindsay is something that a couple can hope for on the show, as clearly shown by how they complimented each other in this Foxtrot. It’s going to be quite the challenge for them to top what they do every week, but they’ve been able to do it so far, and I have faith in them to continue doing so until the end!

Julia I loved this but oddly enough I feel like I never really know what to say about this couple! I guess their dancing speaks for itself. :) I think they’re on track for the Finals and maybe even the win!

Dream WHAT CAN I SAY EXCEPT THEY ARE GOING TO WIN!! (see what i did there? Like from the lyrics of the song? LOL, I’m not funny). Jordan is phenomenal, and he hits nuances that only professional dancers would think of creating and hitting. His choices on stage and the way he melts from sharp to soft movements so perfectly is incredible.

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
10
Len
10
Bruno
10
Total
30/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
10
Dwtsdreams
10
Julia
10
Total
30/30

#TeamFishUponAStar 1(800)868-3406




Nikki Bella and Artem Chigvintsev
Jazz

W5 Nikki.jpg

Remember Me from Coco (2017)

Bentley This is such an underrated dance! The shameless advertising for Disney/Pixar’s new movie was prevalent, but I ended up loving the plug for the movie! I feel like I’ve been saying this for half of the celebrities this week, but to me, this was Nikki’s best dance thus far! Artem wasn’t kidding when he was sticking to traditional Mexican dancing, and even as a Jazz dance, the choreography was a phenomenal showcase of the culture! I love Latin American themes, and there could not be a better representation of it than this dance! Nikki absolutely nailed all of the steps, and she executed them in a way that brought a whole bunch of hype into the dance. She was like the glue that brought everything together!

Julia This dance turned out to be the most polarizing of the night (well, next to Frankie’s Argentine Tango). It seems everyone thought this was either overscore or underscored, and you can tell by my “paddle” which side I fall on! I wish they were able to label this as “Mariachi” (or another name if that’s what this dance actually was; I’m not sure) instead of “Jazz” because I think it would have been more tasteful and respectful to the culture. I was concerned this was going to be a case of cultural appropriation, but it turned out to be cultural appreciation, and I loved that they had them see the movie, and they brought in actual Mexican dancers to help put together the performance. I hope Nikki and Artem can continue their upward trajectory because I’m loving them more and more every week!

Dream  This was a cute dance, but it wasn’t Jazz. The DWTS definition of a Jazz is just a bunch of troupe members doing simple arm movements with the celeb and pro, some lifts, and facials, and done! I would have loved to see more Jazz, but in terms of what Nikki did she was great. She was very comfortable on stage and I loved how she showcased her culture!

Julia This was never supposed to be a true “Jazz” dance though. It was a Mariachi dance with a Jazz label, and that was the plan for them from the beginning.

Bentley Even while calling it Jazz, though, I would definitely call it more than just a dance with simple arm movements! In fact, I think that this was the most technical Jazz dance of the season thus far!

The Judges’ Scores
Carrie Ann
9
Len
9
Bruno
9
Total
27/30
The Bloggers’ Scores
Bentley
10
Dwtsdreams
9
Julia
10
Total
29/30

#TeamSmackdown 1(800)868-3409




Dance Rankings

Bentley
1. Jordan & Lindsay
2. Nikki & Artem
3. Lindsey & Mark
4. Frankie & Witney
5. Victoria & Val
6. Drew & Emma
7. Terrell & Cheryl
8. Sasha & Gleb
9. Nick & Peta
10. Vanessa & Maks

Julia
1. Lindsey & Mark
2. Nikki & Artem
3. Jordan & Lindsey
4. Drew & Emma
5. Frankie & Witney
6. Sasha & Gleb
7. Victoria & Val
8. Vanessa & Maks
9. Terrell & Cheryl
10. Nick & Peta

Dream
1. Jordan & Lindsay
2. Lindsey & Mark
3. Nikki & Artem
4. Frankie & Witney
5. Drew & Emma
6. Victoria & Val
7. Gleb & Sasha
8. Vanessa & Maks
9. Terrell & Cheryl
10. Nick & Peta




Bentley I’ve said the same thing about the show Big Brother over the summer, and maybe I’m just being annoying, but with the high-level of production on one of the “big three” channels on TV, I expect there to be less technical mistakes than there are on Dancing With the Stars. The first thirty seconds of this week’s episode were completely silent, and this isn’t the first time an error like this has been made. Sure, everybody makes mistakes, but on DWTS, it’s kind of common. Even just two weeks ago, the sound during one of the video packages was too deep, and even though it’s not that big of a deal, I think that with the quality of show this is supposed to be, stuff like this should not happen as often as it does.

Julia I also noticed some shaky camera work during the Snow White number. :P

Bentley Anyway, I thought that the opening number was pretty cool, but it was still too much like some other Disney Night openings we’ve had in my opinion. Oh, and it would have been nice if I were actually able to hear the very beginning of the song! XD




W5 Sasha Elimination.jpg

Follow DWTS Interact on Twitter at @DWTSInteract, and follow the bloggers at @TheBentleyNinja, @juliadelbel, and @dwtsdreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment