Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Dancing With the Stars Season 24- Week 6 (Boy Bands vs. Girl Groups Night) Dance Overviews

The competition was serious between the men and the women during Boy Bands vs. Girl Groups Night on week 6 of Dancing With the Stars! First, the couples danced individually, and then Team Boy Band faced off against Team Girl Group! Plus, filling in for Julianne Hough this week, sitting in between Carrie Ann and Len, boy band member of Back Street Boys and season 21 DWTS runner-up Nick Carter guest judged during the night of performances!


This week on DWTS INTERACT, our guest blogger is Nina (@PiggyNina on Twitter), along with the usual comments from DWTS Dreams, Paul Bentley, and Julia Delbel!


So here are our thoughts!






Individual Musical Group Dances


For the first round of performances, the female celebrities danced to songs by iconic girl singing groups, while the male celebrities danced to songs by iconic boy band singing groups.


[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Nick Carter, Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli]






Opening Number
Everybody (Backstreet’s Back) by Backstreet Boys


W6 Opening Number.png


@PiggyNina: I thought it was short, sweet, and it showed that both the girls and boys were ready to battle.


@TheBentleyNInja: My favorite part of the opening number was the introduction of the celebrities on the album covers. That was such a cool minor detail! And the way that the men and the women were introduced individually really set up the stage for the competition. I might even say that it hyped me up for a theme that I wasn’t originally too keen on.


@dwtsdreams: I loved all the green screen work throughout the show especially in the opening number. It showed the character of all the stars and the essence of the night.


@juliadelbel: Okay but why are we even commenting on this? It wasn’t a real opening number and I was surprised to see they even bothered to put it on the YouTube page. It wasn’t bad, but it was just an intro with music in the background, nothing more. I did find the album covers pretty cool, but this wasn’t an actual dance so I don’t see why we’re commenting on it. Next.




Simone Biles and Sasha Farber
Samba: Survivor by Destiny’s Child
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 8, 9, 9 (35/40)
#TeamGoldenGiggles 1(800)868-3412


W6 Simone Samba.jpg


@PiggyNina: I loved the choreography by Sasha, it was perfect for Simone. She came out and delivered, this is the first she came out, and left everything on the dance floor. I do have to agree with Len, her timing was a bit off. Overall, great start to the show.
Nina’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: This was Simone’s first dance on the show in which it looked like she was staring off into space rather than looking like she was doing everything naturally. Granted, she still had a big smile, but is that really the facial expression needed for this type of dance? The Samba itself was very good, although the transitions between each move could have been more cohesive. Despite Simone’s natural feel for the music, I have seen better from her. But this dance was still phenomenal, even with all of the lines that she didn’t quite get in reflection to Sasha. But this dance was strong, together, and sexy, which always makes a Samba stand out!
Bentley’s Score: 8


@juliadelbel: Yeah this was fine. Latin is probably Simone’s weakest area so I wasn’t expecting anything that great, but I guess it was good enough. The song was weird for a Samba but the choreography was pretty good (in fact, I think Samba is Sasha’s best style choreographically). Simone’s facial expressions were a bit strange but she redeemed herself on that front later on in the night with the team dance. This was probably overscored by a point or two but so were several other dances tonight so I guess we’ve just reached that point in the season where most people get high scores regardless of whether or not they were actually exceptional.
Julia’s Score: 8


@dwtsdreams: I love Simone and Sasha’s parentship but I'm expecting more. I loved the concept of this dance and Simone got the steps but it was very jumpy. Sometimes Simone gets stiff and that is something she needs to work on. I would love to see her let loose more and just dance.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 8






Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess
Rumba: I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 8, 7, 7 (30/40)
#TeamDenimNDiamonds 1(800)868-3401


W6 Bonner Rumba.jpg


@PiggyNina: I think it that the dance was better than last week. There is still room for some improvement, especially on the technical side. I think he needs to put more emotion into his dancing.
Nina’s Score: 7


@TheBentleyNinja: This was one of Bonner’s better dances in terms of cleanliness in his steps and connection to the music. However, his fluidity of motion only slightly improved from last time. He seems to rush his dance moves, then stop, rush his dance moves, then stop. And unfortunately, I almost couldn’t help but to keep my eyes on Sharna in this Rumba because of how much she stood out compared to Bonner. I do think that Bonner is finally grasping the context of dance technique in general, holding his own more now than ever. He still has to be given more free reign by Sharna, though, for that to be showcased. Overall, despite needs of improvement, this was a sweet dance with a gentleness that made it easy to watch.
Bentley’s Score: 7


@juliadelbel: This was probably one of Bonner better dances but to be honest that’s not saying much. The choreography for this was very simple but he did okay with it. Bonner is another contestant who sometimes has trouble with facial expressions. He face tends to be very blank which kind of takes me out of his performances while watching them. Like Bentley, I mostly watched Sharna during this, and even though the woman tends to be the centerpiece of a Rumba, Bonner shouldn’t have faded into the background quite as much as he did.
Julia’s Score: 7


@dwtsdreams I did not enjoy this dance. I feel like Sharna isn't really trying this season. Every day she has created this season is just the same old same old and only has a few simple steps. Sharna just danced around Bonner. Bonner seems just “there” The “chemistry” the producers claim they have is so not there. It is so awkward between them and it is so forced. This is my least favorite partnership that has ever happened on the show.
DWTS Dream’s Score:  6






Nancy Kerrigan and Artem Chigvintsev
Paso Doble: Free Your Mind by En Vogue
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 8, 8, 8 (33/40)
#TeamBladesOfGlory 1(800)868-3408
W6 Nancy Paso Doble.jpg


@PiggyNina: I love watching Nancy. Her lines are what set her apart from others, because she is a performer. I think she struggled a bit this week. I hope she continues to believe in herself. If she does, it could take her to the end.
Nina’s Score: 8


@TheBentleyNinja: While I managed to escape the spinning cage at the beginning of the dance without getting dizzy, the strobe lights throughout the rest of the dance gave me a headache to the point that I had to look away just so I could stop seeing the flashing lights for a few seconds. In all seriousness, I think that things like this on TV should require a seizure warning beforehand, especially for those with epilepsy. And it didn’t help that I was watching Dancing With the Stars on Monday with a bright 4K TV. But ignoring that (even though it’s hard to do so), Nancy brought out a fierceness that I have been wanting to see from her for a while now. This Paso Doble was a nice contrast to her Disney princess Jazz from last week. Nancy was in character, but she seemed uncertain of herself at times. I love how Artem gave her so much content to do on her own because it made her stand out without any need of assistance from someone else. However, strangely enough, she looked a bit hesitant when she was with Artem, but not so much when she was on her own doing her solo. I guess that just shows how she is a performer who is able to trust herself, but needs more communication when it comes to performing with someone else. And I think that that is the biggest obstacle that Nancy has been facing all season.
Bentley’s Score: 8


@juliadelbel: I think Nancy did decently well with this routine. This was the first time she needed to portray intensity and strength and while she was yet another contestant that stuck to one facial expression throughout her dance Monday night, it was one that suited the tone of the performance (even though I did see a hint of doubt mixed in as well). Her movements were pretty good, and even though she seemed uncertain of herself, she didn’t let that have a very big effect on the dance overall. And I agree with Bentley about the flashing lights getting in the way and potentially causing seizures. I hope everyone who watched this number on Monday is okay!
Julia’s Score: 8


@dwtsdreams: Nancy has surprised me so much! At the beginning of the competition I didn't know how well she would do but she continues to improve each week. She is hitting the steps and has great musicality but sometimes she seems in sure of herself. That translates to not be confident and it doesn't look the best on the dance floor. I loved the choreography but wasn't a fan of the lights because I felt like it took away from the dancing.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 8






Nick Viall and Peta Murgatroyd
Jive: Fun, Fun, Fun by The Beach Boys
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28/40) Lowest Individual Dance Score
#TeamBabyGotBach 1(800)868-3409


W6 Nick Jive.jpg


@PiggyNina: This song, by the Beach Boys in one of my jams! I think that he is improving, but again he needs to do some more work. I hope he works on his footwork a bit, because the feet are visible and they stick out. I do have to say, Peta looked incredible!
Nina’s Score: 7


@TheBentleyNinja: While I do think that Jives can look better when the kicks and flicks are contained and slightly relaxed, Nick took it a bit too far. He was able to keep his footwork clean and together, but in doing that, he seemed closed in, which was completely unlike his Jazz routine the week before. I wanted more oomph in this routine. And with Peta being the dancing machine that she is, that could be a big challenge for him. I did like the classic beach feel and precision of the choreography, but as a whole, the execution was a bit of a bummer for a dance that could have been a “fun, fun, fun” and hard-hitting Jive. As I have stated before, Nick has lots of potential, but he needs to turn that potential into performance.
Bentley’s Score: 7


@juliadelbel: Nick had decent footwork in this but he needed to point his toes. He also didn’t emulate the song’s tone (or name!) and this performance suffered a lot from that. I don’t have much to say about this otherwise except I have a feeling he might be leaving next week.
Julia’s Score: 7


@dwtsdreams: Nick is slowly but surely improving. In a way I feel like he takes 2 steps forward and one step back. He has so much potential and each week Peta keeps getting more out of him. He still needs to work on facials and his performance quality but he isn't that bad.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 7






Normani Kordei and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Salsa: When I Grow Up by The Pussycat Dolls
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 8, 10 (38/40)
#TeamValMani 1(800)868-3410


W6 Normani Salsa.jpg


@PiggyNina: The one thing Normani brings is the flair and sassy factors, which I think set her apart from others. The song, as well as the dance suited her. However, as good as it was, I think that the scores were a little overboard. Not as good as last week. I didn’t like Val talking back to Len one bit.
Nina’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: This is by far my favorite dance from Normani thus far! Her Salsa with Val was filled with charm, power, sex, and passion. Normani absolutely nailed everything in this jam-packed dance, not leaving a single move unattended to. She genuinely looked like she was having fun, and that radiated throughout the dancefloor. But, saying that, I saw a minor mishandling with the lift towards the end, and, despite the large amount of content in the routine, a lot of it was not Salsa content. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to watch this dance on replay! If she can keep up her stamina with execution like this for the rest of the season, then she will be in amazing shape on the scoreboard!
Bentley’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams: Normani is a queen. That girl is a force to be reckoned with. She represents strength and girl power. She is an incredible performer and each week she creates incredible performances. I liked this dance but I wanted to see a lot more salsa content it was more of a Hip Hop than a Salsa, and that made me a tad bit disappointed. Overall she is doing incredible and will for sure be a finalist.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 9


@juliadelbel: I enjoyed this a lot, especially because of how FIERCE Normani was! She did very well with the Salsa content, even though that dropped off about halfway through and turned into something else. The last part of the dance was still good, but there was no reason not to put more Salsa moves in it. I agree with Nina that this was slightly overscored.
Julia’s Score: 9






David Ross and Lindsay Arnold
Argentine Tango: I Want You Back by *NSYNC
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 8, 7, 8 (29/40)
#TeamLadyAndTheGramp 1(800)868-3404


W6 David Argentine Tango


@PiggyNina: I had a lot of mixed thoughts about this dance. I’m very proud of him for putting everything out there. That lift was pretty hard, and not dropping Lindsey, shows a lot of courage. I hope he works on his hold, it will improve how he feels when dancing.
Nina’s Score: 8


@TheBentleyNinja: David is a great partner; not only with Lindsay, but just in general. He is good with leading and keeping his partner looking good. With doing that, though, it seemed like he was more focused on Lindsay than he was on himself. He looked like he was having trouble keeping up at the beginning, and, despite his strong support for Emma, he messed up some of the lifts with her. There could have also been some more pizzazz, but what was given to us was adequate. I’m glad that David is such a passionate dancer on this show, and it shows through his enjoyment of being on the show. He is a class act, and that always prevails.
Bentley’s Score: 7


@dwtsdreams: Unfortunately, David didn't nail this dance, but he attempted with great performance skills. He is such a hardworker and I enjoy watching him grow. I still think Lindsay danced around him, but it was still an improvement.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 7


@juliadelbel: I actually thought this was one of David’s better performances. He was yet another dancer who had trouble with facial expressions (he didn’t really seem connected to Lindsay during the dance) but most of his movements were pretty sharp and his hold was alright. I think this was one of the few underscored routines of the night but not worried about him in votes.
Julia’s Score: 8






Rashad Jennings and Emma Slater
Tango: Reach Out, I’ll Be There by The Four Tops
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 10, 9, 9 (37/40)
#TeamShadSquad 1(800)868-3411


W6 Rashad Tango.jpg


@PiggyNina: I felt this week Rashad needed redemption from last week, and he did just that. He showed what a real dancer should do. His hold was very good, Emma did a great job with drilling into him. I hope they can keep it up, they are ones to look out for.
Nina’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: It seems as though that the vast majority of the DWTS fandom agrees that Rashad is the best male celebrity dancer left on the show, and his Tango was evidence of that. Even though his frame was unsteady at parts and he didn’t match the same dragging motions as Emma at some parts, he came out and executed a no-nonsense Tango with a properly intense ease that still managed to have a quality of fun to it. I can tell that both Rashad and Emma are taking the competition seriously, which is great to see such a drive, so I hope they continue to have fun every week, even with Rashad’s stressful schedule. I still think that these two will make it to the finals with the amount of hard work they put into their routines every week, so let’s hope that they don’t reach a breaking point that happens to many dancers around this point in the season.
Bentley’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams: Rashad is so talented. He has impressed me from Week 1 and he never cease to amaze me with his hard work. Emma is stepping up her choreography game and I just loved this dance.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 9


@juliadelbel: I agree with what everyone else said and I liked that they found a way to show different sides of Rashad in this dance. The beginning showed he can be fun and chill, while the actual Tango portion showed his strength and intensity (but to a degree that still suited the music and overall theme of the dance). The only minor problems I had with this were that I think his frame dropped in a couple places and like Nancy, I could see the concentration in his face while he danced.
Julia’s Score: 9






Heather Morris and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Eliminated- 8th Place
Rumba: Waterfalls by TLC
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40) Perfect Individual Dance Score
#TeamMaksimumHeat 1(800)868-3406


W6 Heather Rumba.jpg


@PiggyNina: Heather danced the best dance of the night by far. Her lines, her turns- it was all so perfect. It left me speechless. I have got to give it up to both of them!
Nina’s Score: 10


@TheBentleyNinja: With Maks back, Heather danced better than ever! This Rumba was such a tender representation of the connection that we finally got to see between them this week. Heather lets the music flow through every part of her body while still having control over it. Her lines were utterly beautiful and sensual, which tied the entire dance together with a neat little ribbon. I do have to point out, though, that along with her shaky split (which could easily be overlooked), certain sections of the dance were too harsh for my taste. I think that Heather nailed the dynamic of fast and slow, but the fastness from her was just slightly too fast. It’s unfortunate to see her eliminated so early with so much left to be unseen between she and Maks, but with such a tight competition this season, this was bound to happen with people most likely splitting their votes between different celebrities. I can’t say that I was necessarily shocked by her elimination, but she was definitely not in my top three predictions to leave! She left the show with such grace and sincerity, which shows me that she really is a genuine person. And that is reassuring to know about somebody.
Bentley’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams: This is an incredible dance and I have nothing to say besides why did she get eliminated. She is an amazing dancer and I am so sad she left.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 10


@juliadelbel: This was easily the best dance of the night and probably the only one I’ll really remember years from now. Heather was stunning; nailing both the moves and the character (which was refreshing in a night when almost everyone’s facial expressions were lacking in some way). I did see a bit of a lift near the end, but I’m pretty sure that was accidental. I was confused when Carrie Ann didn’t call them out on it (because she calls out pretty much everything vaguely resembling a lift) but then when they announced one of the ladies would be heading home things became clear to me. I figured Heather would be gone before the Finals but I didn’t think she’d be out quite this early. After last week I knew it was possible but still thought she’d beat at least one of the men behind her on the leaderboard (though unlike Bentley she was one of my top 3 predictions to leave this week). Most of us knew one of the four women still there would go somewhat early and I have to say if it had to be someone it’s probably for the best it was Heather, mostly because she didn’t seem to be one of the people dreaming about being on DWTS for years like Nancy and Normani and didn’t have as much of a legacy to live up to as Simone and Nancy.( Also I think Nancy would have taken it a lot worse.) Combine all that with the politics of Heather being a professional dancer and I’m almost relieved she’s out. One last thing is I will say I don’t think she deserved quite as much backlash as she got. I get the sense she didn’t understand the politics of the show and its fanbase and just saw it as a way to get back into dancing. Not saying that necessarily makes it all fair, but I think the producers should have taken the most heat for her casting, not Heather herself.
Julia’s Score: 10






Rankings of the Individual Musical Group Dances


@PiggyNina
1. Heather & Maks
2. Rashad & Emma
3. Simone & Sasha
4. Normani & Val
5. Nancy & Artem
6. Nick & Peta
7. Bonner & Sharna
8. David & Lindsay


@dwtsdreams
1. Heather & Maks
2. Rashad & Emma
3. Normani & Val
4. Simone & Sasha
5. Nancy & Artem
6. Nick & Sharna
7. David & Lindsay
8. Bonner & Sharna


@TheBentleyNinja
1. Normani & Val
2. Heather & Maks
3. Rashad & Emma
4. Simone & Sasha
5. Nancy & Artem
6. Bonner & Sharna
7. Nick & Peta
8. David & Lindsay


@juliadelbel
1. Heather & Maks
2. Rashad & Emma
3. Normani & Val
4. Simone & Sasha
5. Nancy & Artem
6. David & Lindsay
7. Bonner & Sharna
8. Nick & Peta





Team Dances:
Boy Bands vs. Girl Groups


Before the night’s elimination, the remaining couples split off into two teams of four couples in the team Freestyle dance challenge. The male celebrities formed Team Boy Band, and the female celebrities formed Team Girl Group.


[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Nick Carter, Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli]






Team Boy Band
Bonner & Sharna, Nick & Peta, David & Lindsay, Rashad & Emma
Freestyle: Boy Band Medley
Dancing Machine by Jackson 5
You Got It (The Right Stuff) by New Kids on the Block
Best Song Ever by One Direction
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 9, 8, 8 (33/40) Losing Team Dance
#TeamBoyBand


W6 Team Boy Band.jpg


@PiggyNina: I liked this number a lot. I loved the choreography, it seems like they really enjoyed it. They put the passion into it. I do wish there was a little more content into it.
Nina’s Score: 8


@TheBentleyNinja: Team Boy Band was the perfect bunch of people for a fun and entertaining team freestyle dance! They brought life to the dance floor with a good use of the space around them. Although, one thing that really stuck with me in this performance was how awkward and slow the chair dancing part was. I think that the sexuality that the guys were going for went too far, which made it kind of cringey, but also kind of humorous at the same time. Rashad, as expected, stood out as the star performer of this number, owning every single one of his moves! Bonner, despite appearing to be perfect for a boy band, seemed out of his element, but he captured the “cool guy” feel perfectly. I also really appreciate David’s genuine fun and excitement throughout the performance, even though his shaping could have been cleaner. Nick didn’t stand out as much to me, but he was definitely a team player this week with how dedicated he was to the dance. It could be said that this team dance was a bit of a mess, but it was surely an electric mess!
Bentley’s Score: 8


@dwtsdreams: This dance was very messy. There was so much going on and it distracted me from the dance. I love traditional dancing and I wasn't a fan of the whole grinding thing. I just don't get why they choreographed that. There was so many other elements they could have done.
DWTS Dream’s Score : 7


@juliadelbel: This was about as good as I expected it to be. The levels of fun were varying among the guys, but they actually managed to stay in sync for the most part and this routine contained more actual dance steps than the other one. The chair humping bit felt out-of place, though.
Julia’s Score: 9






Team Girl Group
Simone & Sasha, Nancy & Artem, Normani & Val, Heather & Maks
Freestyle: Girl Group Medley
My Boyfriend’s Back by The Chiffons
No Scrubs by TLC
BO$$ by Fifth Harmony
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 9, 8, 9 (34/40) Winning Team Dance
#TeamGirlGroup


W6 Team Girl Group.jpg


@PiggyNina: I enjoyed this dance. I liked the content better in this dance over the boys dance. But I do feel it was lacking a little fun.
Nina’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: While this team dance Freestyle took a little bit to get started, it ended up having more technique than Team Boy Band, which I appreciate greatly. I also appreciate the fact that each couple had a chance to showcase themselves individually, but while still coming together to show off their team spirit. Team Girl Group also managed to be sexy without going far, and made it so it cohesively fit into the choreography (for the most part). Heather and Normani stood out as the stars of this performance, moving their bodies with tons of confidence and energy. Heather, in particular, was a star with how she held her own without stealing the spotlight from her fellow teammates. Nancy, while appearing a bit timid, rocked the ballroom technique that came at the end of the dance. And as for Simone, she was bit too careful, but she still exploded with positive, fun energy. And even when the lights malfunctioned at the end, the ladies still shined. In my opinion, Team Girl Group brought more content and authentic emotion than the men, ultimately leading me to rank them higher.
Bentley’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams: I am struggling this week writing a lot because I don't have a lot to say. I thought this number was very real, authentic, and had loads more content. They didn't go too sexy on the choreography.
DWTS Dream’s Score: 9


@juliadelbel: I thought this was pretty good but the choreography was lacking. This group had the stronger dancers overall, so I was hoping for a bit more actual dancing in this performance. They really sold the routine and stayed on time though and for that reason I agree with them winning over the men by a point. I would have totally been okay with a tie for this round, though.
Julia’s Score: 9






Which Team Dance Would We Rank Higher?


@TheBentleyNinja: Team Girl Group


@PiggyNina: Team Girl Group


@Dwtsdreams: Team Girl Group


@juliadelbel: In case you didn’t read everyone else’s scores for some reason, there you go. :P As for me, I thought they probably should have tied but if I had to choose a winner it would be Team Girl Group.






Nina’s Final Comments


@PiggyNina: Overall, I really enjoyed theme this week. I felt Nick did a great job in the guest judging role. I really enjoyed Rashad this week, and the elimination this week was such a shocker. I’m will not be surprised if we get another elimination later on. This is proving to be a crazy out-of-the-box season.






Make sure you read our thoughts on the dances every Wednesday, and additional thoughts and analyses every Friday throughout season 24 of Dancing With the Stars on the DWTS INTERACT blog!






Playlist of the Boy Bands vs. Girl Groups Night Dances: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK1f1bOs9XyeZ35j2cT6-F-54zfkVbpBe


W6 Heather Elimination.jpg






Follow us on Twitter!
DWTS Dreams: @24_7dwts
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja
Nina: @PiggyNina






#DWTS #DWTS24
#BoyBandsVsGirlGroups

DWTS_Season24.png

No comments:

Post a Comment