Friday, April 21, 2017

From the Skybox (Week 5): Eliminations are Getting Harder to Predict!

The theme for week five of Dancing With the Stars this week was Disney Night, which featured fantastic productions and magical performances!


We had DWTS Fanatic (@dwtsfanatic1 on Twitter) guest blog with us on Wednesday for all of the dances that the couples did on Monday, which made for some interesting discussions. And now, for the fifth From the Skybox blogpost of the season, Paul Bentley, DWTS Dreams, and Julia Delbel are here to give some additional insight about the week. Plus, one of the fantasy teams takes a hit!






Disney Night Scores

Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Leaderboard
Couple
Dance Style
The Judges’ Scores
Overall Score
Normani and Val
Paso Doble
10, 9, 10, 10
39/40
Simone and Sasha
Contemporary
9, 9, 10, 10
38/40
Nancy and Artem
Jazz
9, 9, 9, 9
36/40
Heather and Alan
Jazz
8, 8, 9, 9
34/40
Nick and Peta
Jazz
9, 8, 9, 8
34/40
Erika and Gleb (Eliminated)
Viennese Waltz
8, 8, 8, 8
32/40
Rashad and Emma
Foxtrot
7, 8, 9, 8
32/40
Bonner and Sharna
Tango
7, 8, 8, 7
30/40
David and Lindsay
Jive
7, 7, 8, 7
29/40





Fantasy Team Scores


TEAM JULIA
Simone & Sasha: 38 score points + 20 safety points = 58 points
Heather & Maks: 34 score points + 20 safety points = 54 points
Erika & Gleb: 32 score points + 0 safety points = 32 points
WEEK 5 TOTAL: 144 POINTS
OVERALL TOTAL: 821 POINTS

TEAM BENTLEY
Rashad & Emma: 32 score points + 20 safety points = 52 points
Nancy & Artem: 36 score points + 20 safety points = 56 points
Nick & Peta: 34 score points + 20 safety points = 54 points
WEEK 5 TOTAL: 162 POINTS
OVERALL TOTAL: 789 POINTS

TEAM DREAMS
Normani & Val: 39 score points + 20 safety points = 59 points
Bonner & Sharna: 30 score points + 20 safety points = 50 points
David & Lindsay: 29 score points + 20 safety points = 49 points
WEEK 5 TOTAL: 158 POINTS
OVERALL TOTAL: 715 POINTS






Overall Comments on Disney Night


@dwtsdreams: Disney Night is one of my favorite theme nights. The air is filled with happiness and magic and everyone just seems happier. The costumes are stunning, the sets designs are impeccable, and the songs are filled with nostalgia and warmth. This opening number was one of my favorite disney night openings. I love how they incorporated JT to created a childlike feel. I had never heard Alfonso sign so it was very refreshing to see him to something different. Overall all the stars improved tremendously this week. Nick got his highest score, Erika had a breakthrough, and Normani had an incredible night. The competition is getting tighter except a few people at the bottom of the back!


@juliadelbel: Just when I think production is at its peak, they top their game once again. I was amazed by how the Ballroom and dancers looked for Disney Night. I went back and watched the first one three years ago and remember being blown away back then, but look how far we’ve come since!


@TheBentleyNinja: What is up with the music this season? For starters, it seems like the production completely forgot what a Viennese Waltz is (although there have been issues with that before), and it looks like there are more and more Jazz routines with songs that don’t have a cohesive and stable tempo. I do think that dance and music are morphing right in front of our eyes, which could be a good thing, but I want at least the music to be correct!


@TheBentleyNinja: Disney Night was better than I expected, but it seems like the theme is no longer as special as it used to be, considering Erika got a song that was in the credits of a movie, and David danced to a movie that isn’t even out yet. While most of the couples did have dances with a story and similarities to their respected movies, some of them were only Disney because of the song. Which I’m okay with that, especially because I’m not the person that should be speaking about whether or not Disney was portrayed well or not. Although I do have to say that I ended up liking the newer Disney movie themes more than I thought I would.


@TheBentleyNinja: Interestingly enough, I ended up agreeing with a lot of Julianne’s comments and scores. But in reality, I was kind of in my own world with my personal scoring this week. Although I have to say that the only score I thought was completely unjustified was, as I said, the seven for Rashad’s Foxtrot. But I guess things look different and person, and everyone does have their own take on thing. So, it’s whatever.






MVP (Most Valuable Pro) Picks


@dwtsdreams My MVP pick this week is Peta Murgatroyd. While taking care of Shai, planning a wedding, and being a pro I can conclude Peta is a super mom. I am so happy she chose to come back this season because she looks like she is having so much fun. She is really helping Nick learn to dance and utilizes his strengths when choreographing.


@TheBentleyNinja: It was really hard picking an MVP for this week with all of the amazing numbers that happened on Monday. But after some consideration, I have to name my MVP for the week as the king of Disney Night himself, Val Chmerkovskiy. The Paso Doble he did with Normani was everything I could ask for in a routine. The theatrics were amazing, the story was captivating, and the technique was still there within all of the acting. It was like watching a movie!


@juliadelbel: I always appreciate Sasha Farber’s ability to remain positive and caring for his partner, even under stressful situations (this has basically become the #1 quality I look for in a pro at this point, particularly among the men where it often seems to be lacking) and he showed his strength in this area a lot this week. I also really loved the choreography for the Moana routine. I didn’t think Sasha was going to be able to come up with such a good Contemporary routine but this really was quite impressive.






Elimination Predictions


@dwtsdreams: Bonner seems like the weakest link. I predict he is going home.


@TheBentleyNinja: This is where it gets tough. Now that the more obvious couples are eliminated, the competition comes down to mostly amazing dancers. The only ones who I would say are lacking in dance technique are David and Bonner. I would say Nick, too, but if he keeps up what he is doing, he could prove a major breakthrough. But we have to wait for that. Between David and Bonner, I think that Bonner is the next one to go. I think that getting the scores he got as well as an appearance of disinterest for him by a significant portion of the viewing audience, Bonner could be the next one to go. But I’m not even too confident about that. If Bonner is announced as safe, though, I think that we might see Nick out, just because of his scores relative to everyone else this week. I think that David could be in the danger zone, too, but I think he’s going to make it by next week. The eliminations are only going to become more difficult to predict, but at this point, I think it is safe to say that the female celebrities are in the clear.


@juliadelbel: Normani and Simone are probably safe with their high scores, and I’ve seen a lot of support for both of them this week. Nancy is the next-highest on the leaderboard and while I’m still concerned about her votes I think she’ll probably be fine for this week. David is at the bottom of the leaderboard but I’m confident he managed to cover the small voting spread to pass at least Bonner so I’d be surprised to see him go. Rashad is probably staying well ahead of Bonner in the votes which would make him safe. Bonner’s best chance of making it through is covering the spread between himself and either Nick or Heather. I think it’s possible, and I wouldn’t be surprised so see either of those two leave based on everything that happened Monday night, but he’d probably still be my first guess for elimination.






Links and More


Blog Links
From the Skybox Blog Post from Most Memorable Year Night http://dwts2016.blogspot.com/2017/04/from-skybox-week-four-clear-lead-and-psa.html


Blogger Twitter Links
DWTS Dreams: @24_7dwts
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja
DWTS Fanatic (Wednesday’s Guest Blogger): @dwtsfanatic1


Miscellaneous Links
Julia and Hannah’s Podcast for DWTS Week 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO8dh4Aubbc
Sasha Farber Scares Simone Biles on The Ellen Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ignm63b0cao
Erika and Gleb Interviewed on Good Morning America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKjHICzuT_g






Next Week. . .


@juliadelbel: I already made a whole twitter thread of complaints about next week’s programme, but the TLDR version is it’s most likely going to be a sh*tshow and is probably the first week of the season I’m not looking forward to watching.


@TheBentleyNinja: Canadian confirmed. “Program” is not spelled that way in the United States, but I kind of like the spelling of “programme” better. XD




Next week is Boy Bands vs. Girl Groups Night, featuring songs from singing groups of different eras! Plus, the men will face the women in the team dance round, which will feature mashups from different musical bands. This entire night will feature guest judge and DWTS season 21 runner-up Nick Carter!


And for week seven, it will be A Night at the Movies!


According this week’s DWTS press release, this is what to expect for week 7 of the competition.


  • Team Boy Band, featuring Bonner & Sharna, Nick & Peta, David & Lindsay, and Rashad & Emma, will dance Freestyle to a medley of Dancing Machine by Jackson 5, You Got It (The Right Stuff) by New Kids on the Block, and Best Song Ever by One Direction
  • Team Girl Group, featuring Simone & Sasha, Nancy & Artem, Normani & Val, and Heather & Maks. will dance Freestyle to a medley of My Boyfriend’s Back by The Chiffons, No Scrubs by TLC, and BO$$ by Fifth Harmony
  • Simone Biles and Sasha Farber will dance the Samba to Survivor by Destiny’s Child
  • Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess will dance the Rumba to I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys
  • Rashad Jennings and Emma Slater will dance the Tango to Reach Out, I’ll Be There by The Four Tops
  • Nancy Kerrigan and Artem Chigvintsev will dance the Paso Doble to Free Your Mind by En Vogue
  • Normani Kordei and Valentin Chmerkovskiy will dance Salsa to When I Grow Up by The Pussycat Dolls
  • Heather Morris and Maksim Chmerkovskiy will dance the Rumba to Waterfalls by TLC
  • David Ross and Lindsay Arnold will dance the Argentine Tango to I Want You Back by *NSYNC
  • Nick Viall and Peta Murgatroyd will dance the Jive to Fun, Fun, Fun by The Beach Boys


Once again, we are going to have a new blog post on Wednesday about the next night of competition, featuring our fifth guest blogger of the season, Nina (@PiggyNina on Twitter) on DWTS INTERACT!






What did you think of Disney Night on Dancing With Stars? Which dance do you think had the best technique? Which couple do you think had the most Disney spirit in their dance? What did you think of Erika and Gleb’s elimination? Who do you think will be eliminated next week?


Next week is Boy Bands vs. Girl Groups Night, featuring both classic and modern songs from popular musical groups with guest judge Nick Carter!


W5 Alfonso.jpg





DWTS_Season24.png

No comments:

Post a Comment