Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Dancing With the Stars Season 24- Week 8 (Quarterfinals) Dance Overviews

With the Quarterfinals of Dancing WIth the Stars marking the lowest-viewed episode of the season, the night of performances faced a lot of controversy, especially with the judges had to say. The two rounds of dances, including the trio dances, proved to take a toll on the final five couples.


So, for week 8 of DWTS season 24, who better is there to give their thoughts on the performances than View DWTS (@viewdwts on Twitter)?! View, as well as Julia Delbel, Paul Bentley, and dwtsdreams are back to comment on yet another night of dances!






Opening Number (Hot Summer Nights Tour Preview)
Lady by Austin Mahone featuring Pitbull


W8 Opening Number.png


@dwtsdreams: As I sat on my couch watching the opening number, my sister turned to me and said, “I didn't think I would like this cast without Val, but I love it”. I have to agree! This cast is very diverse in the way it is filled. They have an incredible dynamic that fed off of each person’s strengths. This season, I have not been the greatest fan of Sharna, so I was a little annoyed that she got this whole solo moment, but I loved this number! The dancing was incredible and filled with content!


@TheBentleyNinja: This number made me hyped for the Hot Summer Nights tour, but I don’t know if going to be able to make it! Urgh! This pro dance had a nice summer vibe to it, and it was another upbeat and fun opening. Who doesn’t love those?!


@juliadelbel: I love this group and am hoping to be able to go see this tour! It was pretty simple in premise but effective in execution. Awesomeness!


@viewdwts: This opening piece/tour precursor *kinda* brought me back to the early seasons of DWTS and the simpler opening numbers that the pros choreographed and crafted themselves. This popped with color, spirit, and fun ballroom/Latin fusion, and I can’t wait to (hopefully!) get the chance to see more of this tour later in the summer!






Individual Dances


For the first round of dances, the professional dancers from the final five couples chose a song that feel best matches their celebrity partners’ qualities, also choosing a dance style to match.


[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli]






Rashad Jennings and Emma Slater
Jive: Shake a Tail Feather by Blues Brothers
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)
#TeamShadSquad 1(800)868-3411


W8 Rashad Jive.jpeg


@dwtsdreams: Rashad is such a breath of fresh air. His enthusiasm for life is infectious, and he makes me smile from ear to ear. Performance-wise, this dance was incredible, filled with great smiles and energy. Technique-wise, I am still looking for more. Rashad needs to work on pointing his toes during his flicks and kicks and not tensing up during turns. He had the quickness of the Jive; he just needed to sharpen the technique a smudge. I adore Rashad and Emma, and I will be gutted if they don't make it to the finals!
dwtsdream’s Score: 9


@juliadelbel: This Jive was a great fit for Rashad’s personality, and it was nice to see more of his partnership with Emma in the package! His timing was good and he kept up quite well, but he is still quite flat-footed and needed a bit more sharpness in his kicks and flicks. I also want to say that this was probably the only dance of the night that the judges both critiqued and scored fairly. It was all downhill from here, folks.
Julia’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: Despite his need for improvement in his feet, Rashad has had a clear polishing from his Jive dance-off last week to his Jive this week. He and Emma genuinely looked like they were having a fun time on that platform stage, which who doesn’t love that?! There was a section towards the end where Rashad threw his arms away, but I think that was because he didn’t want to accidentally hit somebody in the audience! It’s stuff like that that makes dancing with a crowd like that very problematic. But Rashad performed strongly as always, letting the rhythm flow through him as it always does!
Bentley’s Score: 9


@viewdwts: I absolutely adored the genius details and tiny touches Emma put into this, which added so much flair and character to this jive in my view (no pun intended). The beginning side-by-side section on the rear end of the platform was fantastic; Rashad kept 100% in-sync with Emma, even the kicks and flicks. His jive twists were also great. When they moved towards the front end of the platform is when his lower body form started to somewhat crumble and un-pointed toes and a few flailing arms emerged. Still, this was a wonderful performance I both automatically expect from a quarterfinals opening routine and from Rashad. And above all, that unique vibrancy and “pop” that Rashad & Emma so easily ooze was, of course, ever-so-present in this jive.
View’s Score: 9






Normani Kordei and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Contemporary: Freedom by Anthony Hamilton and Elayna Boynton
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40) Perfect Individual Dance Score
#TeamValMani 1(800)868-3410


W8 Normani Contemporary.jpg

@juliadelbel: Like with Rashad, I enjoyed seeing more of Normani’s personality in the rehearsal footage this week! I’m glad she was able to share her story about cyberbullying with the world through this dance. Normani totally sold it from an emotional standpoint, and the choreography was one of Val’s better Contemporary pieces, but there was a little too much flailing about, and they were out of sync a few times. I think this was overscored by a couple points, but it was still really good. I wonder if the reason for Normani’s sky-high scores is to keep her safe despite a lack of votes from the audience? I know she has her Harmonziers and has gained some new fans from the DWTS audience, and she’s definitely a fantastic dancer, but I can’t help but wonder why she has been overscored so much this season.
Julia’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: The concept of this dance was really cool, even though I’m still not quite sure what the costumes have to do with anything (but I did really like the costumes)! Normani was more immersed in this Contemporary piece than any other dance she had done on the show, transmitting her emotions into an ease of motion with the harsh tone of the concept. I really like how Normani was the center of attention, allowing her to the story that she wanted to tell. Two of the lifts had a rough launch, and Normani didn’t quite match Val at certain parts, but as a whole, it made for a nice change of pace on the show.
Bentley’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams This dance was breathtaking. It was raw, uncensored, and thought provoking. It was real and illustrated Nomani’s strength. In the past Val’s contemporary choreography hasn't been my favorite but I was enthralled but this dance. It reminded me of Allison Holker choreography in a way. It was so beautiful and Normani executed with such power and grace.
dwtsdream’s Score: 10


@viewdwts: This was one of the most beautiful, yet raw, displays of emotion through dance I’ve ever seen in the 24 seasons I’ve watched of this series. I love how Val choreographed enough side-by-side work to exhibit Normani’s capabilities and didn’t insert many lifts. There was something about this that felt right on-edge, not safe nor simplistic. The contrast in the poses/still moments and the runs/leaps told a prevalent story, perfectly portrayed by the formidable talent that is Normani Kordei.
View’s Score: 10






Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess Eliminated- 5th Place
Argentine Tango: Believer by Imagine Dragons
The Judges’ Scores: 8, 7, 8, 7 (30/40) Lowest Individual Dance Score
#TeamDenimNDiamonds 1(800)868-3401


W8 Bonner Argentine Tango.jpeg


@dwtsdreams: Throughout the season, I have stated that I am a bit of a Len as I love traditional dances FULL of content. Some people might call Len’s comment harsh tonight, but I have to agree with him. Head Judge Len Goodman said that is was the viewers’ fault for Bonner staying in the competition and that he was over his head, which he was. He just didn't have the dance ability to compete with all the other routines.
dwtsdream’s Score: 7


@juliadelbel: I had a feeling the Argentine Tango might suit Bonner better than some of the other dances we’d seen him do, and it was. He hit the moves well and stayed on time, but I didn’t feel like there was anything behind it. During this dance- and every other one he’s done this season- I couldn’t tell if he was so focused on hitting the movements or just zoned out, because he had had the same expressionless face in every dance and I can’t believe they never bothered to call it out, considering their comments to some others about similar facial expression issues. Even though I’ve been dragging Bonner all season, I think Len’s comment that Bonner should have already been gone was totally uncalled for, especially on his elimination night. That comment crossed a line and immediately cast a dark shadow on things that I don’t think the night ever fully recovered from.
Julia’s Score: 8


@TheBentleyNinja: I actually thought that Bonner’s focusing face worked really well with the feel of the dance this week! Bonner looked like he was control this week, straying away from Sharna’s usual amount of guidance in his performances (although Sharna did do a bit of dancing around him again, but to a lesser extent). Stability seemed to still be an issue for Bonner, but that was another thing that he and Sharna fixed this week. I really liked the Argentine Tango that was thrown in the dance, not relying too heavily on unnecessary tricks that distract from the more traditional content. Even with his stuttering feet for this dance, though, Bonner proved to be working on the judges’ comments, which does show me that he deserved to be where he got on the show. Sometimes people make it far on the show while giving up on trying before elimination happens, but Bonner was not one of those people.
Bentley’s Score: 8


@viewdwts: This was, perhaps, one of his more musically-inclined dances to date. However, there was still not much notable argentine tango, the syncopated kicks and flicks, and looked more like a contemporary/ballroom fusion piece. His extensions and lines were once again completely straight-edged and had no flow or purpose. Len was correct and in-line to pronounce that he had made it “a week too far,” as he should have exited the competition in the early stages, between weeks 1-4.
View’s Score: 7






Simone Biles and Sasha Farber
Foxtrot: What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)
#TeamGoldenGiggles 1(800)868-3412


W8 Simone Foxtrot.jpg


@juliadelbel: I wish Sasha had chosen a song Simone actually liked (even though it made the package hilarious) but this was still a good dance. I thought her facial expression was appropriate and fit the tone of the piece, and I was surprised the judges chose to zone in on that aspect of the performance and not her technical issues. Her legs and feet were fantastic, but while her arms were more fluid than in some of her previous dances, I still saw some noticeable stiffness there. I wish the judges would actually critique the contestants for actual technical errors instead of giving them comments that often sound more like personality assessments than constructive criticism about their performances.
Julia’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNnja: This dance did not feel like Simone to me. Simone usually has powerful lines and a strong frame in ballroom dances, but it looked like she overcompensated by maybe performing a little too casually this time around. She still had her same clean lines and attention to detail, but it felt as though the dance was a bit all over the place without her usual center of balance. I appreciate Sasha’s attempt to make the dance fit better for a Foxtrot, but my doing that, I think he made it so there was too much was going on and not enough time spent in hold with all of the transitions between hold and side-by-side running rampant. But there was a lot in this dance that I did enjoy, such as the youthful yet serious tone to it, as well as the amazingly executed sway!
Bentley’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams: Simone is an athlete no doubt about it. She is very strong and hits every line to a tee. This week I was lacking Simone though. I have only seen one emotion from her and she is very monotoned. I want to see her open up more. I adore Simone though!
dwtsdream’s Score: 9


@viewdwts: I like how Sasha chose to pursue the simpler, lighter route with this foxtrot to showcase Simone’s contagious smile and youth that the world first fell in love with with her in Rio. I actually think Simone has quite a solid, calm frame, head position, and overall posture dancing in hold (which is clearly more difficult for her to achieve considering her height). Her gymnastic arms still, expectedly, are exposed in some of her hand placements but her movement quality and fluidity in her upper lines have considerably improved over the past 8 weeks. She also maintained body contact and didn’t appear hesitant or awkward in this. Will I remember this foxtrot for seasons to come? Probably not, but I think their dynamic shined well in this “Pro’s Pick” round and Simone, herself, produced one of my favorite performances of her’s to date. I am #TeamSimone in the debacle with Carrie Ann, as I believe Simone is naturally undergoing the plight of most gymnasts before her in regards to emoting. However, I can “get” where Carrie Ann is coming from as I thought the same way in the early weeks about Simone’s routines, which is why I’m looking forward to her opening up next week like she did in her viennese waltz (hopefully with a rumba or slow waltz).
View’s Score: 9






David Ross and Lindsay Arnold
Waltz: Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)
#TeamLadyAndTheGramp 1(800)868-3404


W8 David Waltz.jpeg


@juliadelbel: This was definitely David’s best dance to date, and it was a vast improvement over his Viennese Waltz. He was actually on time throughout this one, and his legs and footwork were a lot more precise. It was just an all-around clean performance, though I disagree with the 9’s from the judges because he was still quite stiff and seemed a bit hesitant throughout the dance. I’m loving David and Lindsay’s partnership, and I’m glad they got to do this wonderful emotional routine in the midst of dances that make David seem like a joke contestant.
Julia’s Score: 8


@TheBentleyNinja: There are so many different sides to David, and I do have to say that the side we saw from his in his Waltz is probably my favorite! The father-daughter elements of this dance were nice touches on Lindsay’s part, and the way that David executed those elements made everything feel so authentic and powerful. This dance showed that David and Lindsay’s partnership might just be the best thing to come out of season 24 of DWTS! But even with David’s attention to delicate detail, he did so with some wobbly parts and unshaped arms along the way. I thought that this dance was nearly perfect, if it wasn’t for just a few little things that I couldn’t ignore! This was my favorite dance from the first round of dances of the night because of the skyrocketing progress and genuinity I managed to get from him.
Bentley’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams: This was definitely David’s best dance! He had great lines and his musicality was perfection. He had nuances in his movements and had one continuous movement not just a bunch of moves. His head placement was there along with his arm placement. I adore David’s enthusiasm to learn and I am so proud of how far he has gotten.  
dwtsdream’s Score: 9


@viewdwts: Hats off to Lindsay who crafted this perfectly-simple slow waltz for David to truly be able to nail down and execute properly. While still mainly flat footed, his frame and posture has improved quite well over the past 8 weeks in strictly ballroom styles. It was a light, delicate, airy slow waltz to surely please his fanbase and keep him going presumably into the finale.
View’s Score: 8






Rankings of the Week 8 Individual Dances


@dwtsdreams
1. Normani & Val
2. Rashad & Emma
3. David & Lindsay
4. Simone & Sasha
5. Bonner & Sharna

@TheBentleyNinja
1. Rashad & Emma
2. Normani & Val
3. David & Lindsay
4. Simone & Sasha
5. Bonner & Sharna


@juliadelbel
1. Normani & Val
2. Simone & Sasha
3. Rashad & Emma
4. David & Lindsay
5. Bonner & Sharna


@viewdwts
1. Normani & Val
2. Simone & Sasha
3. Rashad & Emma
4. David & Lindsay
5. Bonner & Sharna







Trio Dances


In the trio dance round, the judges chose a member of the troupe for each of the remaining couples to perform a dance featuring the celebrity as well as the two professional dancers.


[Order of the Judges’ Scores: Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, Julianne Hough, Bruno Tonioli]






Rashad Jennings and Emma Slater, featuring Witney Carson
Argentine Tango: Dreams by Gabrielle Aplin and Bastille
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 9, 10, 10 (39/40) Highest Trios Dance Score
#TeamShadSquad 1(800)868-3411


W8 Rashad Argentine Tango.jpg


@juliadelbel: I loved the concept of this routine, and Rashad handled both women masterfully. My only issues were that he was flat-footed once again and that the dance didn’t really become a “trio” until halfway through. But this was still a very good performance.
Julia’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: I thought that this Argentine Tango was a creative take on the way that trios are usually performed, allowing Rashad to show us what he has to offer with each pro individually, and then putting that together with the trio section at the end. It was cool to see the calm when Rashad danced with Emma as opposed to the storm that we saw with Rashad and Witney. Rashad was able to transition between between the two pros with ease, even impressing the audience with that awesome lift when he spun with both of them in the air-- that’s how you pull off a trio lift! Rashad was the whole package with his intensity and musicality, giving us a full routine featuring all of his strengths!
Bentley’s Score: 10


@dwtsdreams: I really enjoyed this trio. It was great to see different dynamics and sides of the each of the pros with Rashad. That lift was so cool and it sealed the deal on this dance!
dwtsdream’s Score: 10


@viewdwts: Creatively and conceptually-speaking, this was the best trio of the night and one of my all-time favorites! I do wish there had been a bit more recognizable argentine tango in the trio sections, but Rashad performed well with what he was given. Lifts were outstanding and smooth. This was also, in my view, more flat-footed than his jive, with his footwork looked “shuffly” at times (which has been my only “big” technical critique of his dancing since the season premiere). I still loved the aesthetic of it all, the beginning and ending moments, and the costumes. I genuinely hope that he has something slower and lighter next week, so he can take the time to hone in on the delicate footwork of possibly a slow waltz.
View’s Score: 9





Normani Kordei and Valentin Chmerkovskiy, featuring Alan Bersten
Jive: Feeling Alive by Earl St. Clair
The Judges’ Scores: 10, 9, 10, 10 (39/40) Highest Trios Dance Score
#TeamValMani 1(800)868-3410


W8 Normani Jive.jpg


@juliadelbel: I thought this was a fun routine, and it was nice to see Normani get to do something kind of goofy for a change of pace! The constant reminders of Bonner being a cowboy throughout the season have gotten pretty old so by the time he showed up in this number I was just #OverIt, but besides that it was very fun to watch! This was another dance of which I found the accompanies comments from the judges odd because Len chose to harp on about a small portion of the choreography involving country dance moves but neglected to mention the fact that Normani’s toes were often flexed during her kicks (darn those boots!) and none of the other judges noticed either. In a night of boring and lacklustre dances this was probably the most enjoyable to me from an entertainment standpoint, but it did bother me that the technical issues were totally overlooked.
Julia’s Score: 9


@TheBentleyNinja: Normani was absolutely on fire with this trio Jive! I didn’t mind the country dance steps thrown in the dance as it didn’t take away too much from the actual Jive content. It was like Normani was a ball of energy, and Maks and Alan were mediums for her to transfer that energy through! Normani looked like a pro on the dance floor with how she was able to dance such a fast Jive while still nailing the technique with such fine precision and detail. I also actually liked how Bonner was featured at the end of the dance, allowing us to see an unlikely (even though most likely fabricates) showmance! Normani, for the eighth week in a row, proved that she is a contender without slowing down one bit!
Bentley’s Score: 10


@dwtsdreams: Yasssss, cowboy. I loved this dance. It was so fun, full of content and energy. Alan had great chemistry with them, and they created a great dance!
dwtsdream’s Score: 10


@viewdwts: I enjoyed this SO much more than I expected. When I saw that Val was attempting a Country theme, I was sure that this would be extra, annoying, lacking content, and full of recycled steps. Instead, he successfully conjoined the creative and the content to craft one helluva jive for Normani. She nailed each transition and spin with ease and balance. The bars of music spent on the judge’s table were as smooth as can be and actually added memorability to the trio piece as a whole for me. The only technical critique I have is not entirely Normani’s personal fault; the boots prevented a lot of her kicks and flicks from reaching the necessary height. That being said, she effortlessly led each section in front of the boys with insane precision. Looking back at her 9 dances so far, this is definitely near to the top of my rankings. And as always, rewatching this dance, my eyes are totally glued to Normani and Normani only.
View’s Score: 9






Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess, featuring Britt Stewart Eliminated- 5th Place
Jazz: That’s What I Like by Bruno Mars
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28/40) Lowest Trios Dance Score
#TeamDenimNDiamonds 1(800)868-3401


W8 Bonner Jazz.jpg


@juliadelbel: The package for this made me uncomfortable for obvious reasons, and the dance wasn’t very enjoyable to watch either. I don’t like to compare contestants too often, but it is absolutely ridiculous that the judges kept going off on Simone for “not performing” every week and didn’t say much about that to Bonner, because he still had that blank look on his face in this and his movements were so stiff. Jazz on this show is an opportunity for the pros to choreograph right to their celebrity’s strengths, but this dance just highlighted all of Bonner’s shortcomings. I do think the judges’ comments were too harsh once again, especially since it was his last dance, but I agreed with the scores for sure.
Julia’s Score: 7


@dwtsdreams: This choreography was so underwhelming. Sharna and Britt just danced around Bonner, and there was no Jazz. The pros mistake Jazz for walking around the floor. I want to see kicks, pirouettes, ACTUAL JAZZ. Don't get me wrong, I love Jazz Funk and Brinn-Nicole type choreography, but if you are going to do that, you have to commit to the movement.
dwtsdream’s Score: 6


@TheBentleyNinja: I couldn’t have described Bonner’s Trio Jazz any better than Julianne-- it was like watching security footage! I liked the city millionaire theme, even though it became bland rather quickly. I really would have liked to have seen Bonner interact with Sharna and Britt more, rather than just have them as backup dancers, because at this point in the competition, I expect much more. Bonner was awkward and small in his movements, but at least he had the feeling of the character down! Still, when looking at this dance compared to the other trios, this one lacked the risk that the other ones had. Bonner might have been smooth and suave, but it was not enough to compensate for the severe lack of technique and energy. Seeing this dance, it was only fitting to see Bonner and Sharna eliminated, but at least we finally saw Britt have the spotlight, and at least Bonner and Sharna had a good time together, despite controversies.
Bentley’s Score: 7


@viewdwts: I’m still unsure as to what this was as a whole, but I loved seeing Britt receive a chance to shine.
View’s Score: 6






Simone Biles and Sasha Farber, featuring Brittany Cherry
Paso Doble: Don’t Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya
The Judges’ Scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)
#TeamGoldenGiggles 1(800)868-3412


W8 Simone Paso Doble.jpg

@juliadelbel: I really did not like that the judges got to chose the trio partners. It was nice that they departed from the team-ups we typically see for this challenge, but it’s always more fun when the celebrity (and pro) are able to choose for themselves. Anyway, for some reason they decided Simone would be the only celebrity to get a pro of the same gender in her trio, and it was Brittany. I might have been fine with this if she’d gotten Jazz or even Jive, but the fact that she got a Paso Doble- which favors the man- to one of the least impactful songs I’ve ever seen this show use for the style was worrisome. I was very impressed that Simone managed to keep up with Brittany and match her so well, though I do wish she was in the middle for more of the performance (though again, Paso Dobles favor the male). All three of them were stone-faced during this and I wish they could have shown a bit more range (I think they probably would have with a better song) but it was still a beautiful routine, if a tad underwhelming (again with the song, though really I’m surprised this was as good as it was considering this whole assignment seemed to be a set-up for failure). I’ll talk about this more on Friday because this is getting too long but I was surprised and annoyed the judges said her smile seemed inauthentic in her earlier dance and then after coming out all serious for this one they told her the same thing. It’s very obvious both Simone and Sasha are frustrated with the judges and I don’t blame them because they’re saying she needs to do better but not really giving her much to work with in terms of actual constructive criticism. I’ve agreed about the plastered-on smile in some of her routines (mainly the Latin ones) but there’s other stuff they can and should be giving her pointers on and they’re just not.
Julia’s Score: 9


@dwtsdreams: I really enjoyed this dance. It was full of energy and content! I have nothing else to say because it was just there not amazing nor bad!
dwtsdream’s Score: 9


@viewdwts: Technically speaking, this was one of Simone’s best exhibitions, if not her best. I was initially super nervous for her having to match Brittany and thought she’d be “in-her-head” the whole time. She truly surprised me with great synchronicity and fluidity. I also appreciated all the recognizable Paso steps that Sasha cohesively choreographed alongside the storytelling (even with laser Paso stock music). Simone showcased solid nuances and subtleties in her Spanish lines and skirt action, perhaps her best since her Viennese Waltz. I think Brittany was ultimately a strong addition to this team, helping Simone finally successfully fuse the stern demeanor of the paso doble and intricacies of each line, run, kick, and extension together.
View’s Score: 10


@TheBentleyNinja: I have seen Simone stone faced (usually with a smile) with before, but I don’t think that this was the case this time. I think that Simone was fed up with the judges’ comments (which, who can blame her?), so she used that to translate into Paso Doble intensity. I also thought that the fact that SImone danced with another female pro was cool, especially since this dance thrived on the strength that comes out of being one-half of a symmetrical duo to let things fall together. I think that since Simone was not in the middle for almost the entire dance, it made it more challenging for her to hit all of the correct motions, since we could see from Brittany what she would have to be doing if she messed up. And the challenge, at least in my eyes, payed off from what I saw since I didn’t see any mistakes. Sasha was conscious in giving Simone a blend of dominant and co-dominant moves, which she excelled at. SImone had a dance that was refreshing from her typical upbeat dances, hitting the movements in unity with Brittany as a counterpart. The fact that SImone was not necessarily front and center actually made her shine more! Oh, and her quote, “smiling doesn’t win you gold medals” was genius! You tell those judges, Simone! XD
Bentley’s Score: 10






David Ross and Lindsay Arnold, featuring Hayley Erbert
Paso Doble: Gangsta’s Paradise by 2WEI
The Judges’ Scores: 7, 7, 8, 7 (29/40)
#TeamLadyAndTheGramp 1(800)868-3404


W8 David Paso Doble.jpg


@juliadelbel: After the judges raved about David’s Waltz, I thought he might be the one going home, but then when they dropped the hammer on this dance, I had an inkling he was safe after all. I thought David did a great job taking charge in the dance, and he kept up nicely with the ladies. Lindsay’s choreography was great, and Hayley was a great choice as the “third wheel”. My main problem with this dance is that David looked like he was running whenever he travelled, which took me out of the “Paso mood” a bit. His shaping could have also been a little more refined, but he did well with the character and managed to do a respectable job in the end.
Julia’s Score: 8


@dwtsdreams: David did a great job leading the girls in this dance. He tried to keep up and hold his own, and he did that! Great job, David!
dwtsdream’s Score: 8


@viewdwts: He had absolutely no rhythm, shaping, fluidity, or purpose in any step. ‘Twas an outright technical trainwreck, but at the very least, the music was lit and Hayley & Lindsay were fantastic!
View’s Score: 6


@TheBentleyNinja: I’m a fan of the original Gangsta’s Paradise, but I now like the instrumental version better-- how epic was that?! The gladiator theme has been overused on this show, but seeing it from David made it a little more refreshing with his interesting take on the striking power of it all. I have to agree with Julia with the fact that it looked like David kept running from place to place, but I think that’s because he was so into the dance that he might have gone just a little too far. Luckily, David somewhat kept up switching between Lindsay and Hayley in the dance, even though that may have been the cause of his rushing. Of course, after this dance, we found out that he was safe from elimination, which is great because he is always a pleasure to watch, and I want to see at least two more dances from him!
Bentley’s Score: 8






Rankings of the Trio Dances


@TheBentleyNinja
1. Normani & Val
2. Rashad & Emma
3. Simone & Sasha
4. David & Lindsay
5. Bonner & Sharna


@dwtsdreams
1. Normani & Val
2. Rashad & Emma
3. Simone & Sasha
4. David & Lindsay
5. Bonner & Sharna


@juliadelbel
1. Rashad & Emma
2. Normani & Val
3. Simone & Sasha
4. David & Lindsay
5. Bonner & Sharna


@viewdwts
1. Simone & Sasha
2. Normani & Val
3. Rashad & Emma
4. David & Lindsay
5. Bonner & Sharna






View’s Final Comments


@viewdwts: Thanks for the chance to blog with y’all this week! I thought this Quarterfinals night of competition was definitely more enjoyable and ultimately superior to the mid-season slump (weeks 5-7) we had to endure. I hope I was polite, considerate, and helpful enough in my critiques to showcase a more intellectual side to my usually garish, coarse, and problematic self on Twitter. Make sure to follow @viewdwts for uncensored yet thoughtful discussion and debate on the daily level! :-)








W8 Bonner Elimination.jpg






Follow us on Twitter!
DWTS Dreams: @24_7dwts
Julia Delbel: @juliadelbel
Paul Bentley: @TheBentleyNinja
View: @viewdwts






#DWTS #DWTS24
#Quarterfinals #TriosNight

DWTS_Season24.png

No comments:

Post a Comment